Tri fold Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Bought my new 2019 (love it!) and it came with the tri fold cover. I noticed it had a lot of play in the back near the tailgate and it was not water tight. Looking at the witness marks where the seal sits on the top of the bed rail, it is clear it is not making good contact to seal on the last several inches of the bed rail.

I took it to my local dealer, and they have ordered a new cover under warranty. No complaints there on the quick steps to make it right.

My question is this: Is there no way to adjust the fit of the cover? If not it seems like a major oversight. Anyone else have experience with this?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My brother-in-law has an F-150 (not that it matters in this case), complained to the service department one time that too much junk got into his bed from the slot between the bottom of his tailgate and the bed.

Service guy told him that if you wanted stuff in the back to be completely protected, he should have bought an Excursion. A bit of a snarky answer, but I think he has a point.

bigred2211

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
There reallly isn't a "water tight" tonneau made regardless of make or style. You'd need to completely seal the tailgate. Of course then you wouldn't have a tailgate that would open.
I think the issue (at least for me) is that the rear of the factory cover is not tight as it is toward the front of the truck, with no way to adjust it to tighten up.

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think the issue (at least for me) is that the rear of the factory cover is not tight as it is toward the front of the truck, with no way to adjust it to tighten up.

This is where I am. I get it will never be perfect, don't expect it to be. But it looks wrong when one corner sits up a good half inch over the tailgate while the other side at least has the seal against the corner of the bed rail. At least if the seal is against the rail it will keep out most of the moisture.

OP
OP
Beltsand

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just got my bed cover back from the dealer. RAM sent replacement clamps instead of a complete cover to address the fit issue on the cover. The dealership removed the old clamps and installed the new on the original cover assembly. The cover now sits against the rail and the top of the tailgate all the way around. Looks good to me.

IMG_1329.jpg

Loansinpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ditched the factory one a while back because it leaked at all point it could it seemed. Went to a bakflip that I had on a previous truck. Haven’t found water in the back yet. It also folds 3 times so you get full use of the bed without taking it off. Last fold is ~6” from front of bed and it can lean up against cab.

spinxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’m also ditching the factory cover for a BakFlip MX4. My buddy has one on his Silverado and it’s as close to water tight at any cover can be.

Tonneaucovered

www.tonneaucovered.com
Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I’m also ditching the factory cover for a BakFlip MX4. My buddy has one on his Silverado and it’s as close to water tight at any cover can be.

The Mx4 is a great cover, and one of our most popular.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my new 2019 (love it!) and it came with the tri fold cover. I noticed it had a lot of play in the back near the tailgate and it was not water tight. Looking at the witness marks where the seal sits on the top of the bed rail, it is clear it is not making good contact to seal on the last several inches of the bed rail.

I took it to my local dealer, and they have ordered a new cover under warranty. No complaints there on the quick steps to make it right.

My question is this: Is there no way to adjust the fit of the cover? If not it seems like a major oversight. Anyone else have experience with this?
I think when it sits in the sun a few weeks it will do better with the fitment Just like a covert-able top on a car