Truck Industry History Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Given the popularity of "leveling kits" for late model trucks, at what point in the industry did the factory rake become so pronounced across the market for 4x4 trucks? Was it the eco craze that started it? Or maybe IFS becoming the norm? I can't picture engineers willingly agreeing to an off road focused truck with LESS ground clearance.

Just my curiosity for the day.

OP
OP
Sasquatchtdg

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I understand that setup, doubt that's 4x4 though. That's what my query was aimed at, 4x4 trucks.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since they come from the factory with a rake then it was certainly designed by the engineers. The rake is so the truck will look level with a full payload. Otherwise it would be dragging @$$.

ShortRAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
'67 goat got about 12 mpg. '70 goat got 13 mpg. Maybe jacking it up with air shocks wasn't as effective as the way they do it now. Actually, air shocks sound like a good idea to me, but I don't think anybody makes them any more.

JOsworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Given the popularity of "leveling kits" for late model trucks, at what point in the industry did the factory rake become so pronounced across the market for 4x4 trucks? Was it the eco craze that started it? Or maybe IFS becoming the norm? I can't picture engineers willingly agreeing to an off road focused truck with LESS ground clearance.

Just my curiosity for the day.

It is simply a result of suspension engineering. Early 4x4 trucks were very simple, unrefined, machines that rode terribly as passenger vehicles.

That is the big rub. Trucks now are truly all around daily use vehicles not farm implements. Back even in the 80's when trucks really started to come into their own as comfortable all around vehicles, 4x4 was not the most common... 2wd was.

Now, trucks need to ride good and stable.. yet customers also expect them to be able to haul and tow. So, when loaded or towing it still needs to ride smooth and handle properly at speeds old trucks only dreamed of. Remember the days of passing a C10 Chevy loaded going 45 or 50??? All that engineering means that when unloaded, the rear suspension will sit slightly higher. I am actually impressed that the rake isn't more pronounced. I love the way my truck rides and drives.... and I used to not like a truck ride for daily use... As long as I can afford to drive one, I will have a truck from here on out.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In 1994 Dodge changed pick ups forever. The next 2 years Ford and Chevy were trying to play catch up.

My truck still has some rake to it. Bilsteins are your friend. Some guys go too far trying to level it. Trucks with their nose in the air look goofy.

air bags are cheap and effective ways to keep your truck level with a load.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I can't picture engineers willingly agreeing to an off road focused truck with LESS ground clearance.

Few trucks are actually focused on off road capability, though, even if they are 4x4. I doubt many buyers actually care, either, as the number who are going to take their truck on trails requiring decent ground clearance (and do so unmodified) is minimal. I'd say like "count the percentage on one hand" sort of minimal, but I don't know.

I think the rake is more so your headlights aren't searching for German bombers once you have a load on the truck...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, I had the squirrel lights with my 1500 and my contractor trailer. Some were telling me to add air bags, etc., but then - why are there 2500's? So I bought a 2500 and lived happily ever after........

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pronounced on 4th get , minor on 3rd almost none 2nd , it is not about suspension it is about fuel economy

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
pronounced on 4th get , minor on 3rd almost none 2nd , it is not about suspension it is about fuel economy

How does rake help fuel economy?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Aerodynamics, drag coefficient, etc.

Rake increases aerodynamics? Drag coefficient? How? Why don't economy cars have rake, then, when manufacturers are trying to squeeze every bit of mileage for CAFE standards as they can?

A lower overall vehicle will have less dirty air flow. Rake slightly increases dirty airflow. An empty truck would be more fuel efficient with a lower overall height and/or no rake.

If you mean when loaded to prevent negative rake, that's closer to the truth but not the reason. Handling and safety when loaded are the reason for rake, while allowing for a much softer ride when unloaded.

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not a conspiracy theory. It simply allows the truck to be level with a full payload. Stop trying to read too much into the design.

It also allows water beads to roll off the hood yet your bed holds water. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
It's not a conspiracy theory. It simply allows the truck to be level with a full payload. Stop trying to read too much into the design.

It also allows water beads to roll off the hood yet your bed holds water. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]
Bed shouldn't hold water if you keep the drain holes clean

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk