Truck started then died- killed all power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85powerram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We were starting my ‘85 for the first time in about 3 days, it cranked started then died. I went to crank it again and there was no power to the entire truck. The ignition switch feels normal, we checked all of the grounds. We’re at a complete loss of what to do, anything will help. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles has it got? How are the plugs, and how long since carburetor was rebuilt? Could be a number of things, unstable spark, low compression, gummed carburetor causing fuel to stop or flood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait, if it's not even turning over you should test the starter and solenoid. Seems weird that it would just die after it was running though, maybe just didn't give it enough choke. But if it's not turning over testing the starter would be a good place to start.

OP
OP
85powerram

85powerram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just replaced the starter relay and the power to the truck is still dead

OP
OP
85powerram

85powerram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also i probably should’ve mentioned its a freshly built engine we had running and idling less than a week ago

OP
OP
85powerram

85powerram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Solved! It was one of the wires connecting the harness to the positive terminal cable, thanks for the advice