Truck & Tires Update/Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, I'm not normally a "review writer" but was so pleasantly surprised with how my truck and tires performed I thought I post up. My truck is a 2015 Laramie Megacab 4x4 with 6.4 Hemi and the tires are 295/70-18 Cooper ST Maxx. I live in Socal so we don't get a bunch of inclimate weather other than rain. The Coopers have great road manners, not too loud for the more aggressive tread design and look great on the truck.

We went up to Mammoth Mountain this past week. IT is located in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains and it one of the largest ski resorts/mountains in the country. They have had the most snow in the country this year at 37'+ and just got 10' the week prior to our arrival. The roads were totally covered in snow and ice. Most cars and trucks had chains to get around. Some 2WD trucks were having a difficult time on some of the grades when chained up. I brought my HD V-bar but didn't what to have to use them.

I put the truck in 4WD Lock and it performed flawlessly. I would really have to get into the skinny pedal to make all four wheels spin. On the Hwy it was very comfortable driving a 55mph on the snow covered roads and around town there are some grades the truck had no problem going up or down. I was really impressed with the Cooper tires and how well the truck handle in the conditions. I would highly recommend the setup. BTW, the tires have 20K miles on them and probably have 60% of the tread remaining. If you are looking for new meats for your truck check out the ST Maxx.

Some pics of the snow.

IMG_0891.jpg IMG_0893.jpg IMG_0907.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad the tires worked out... oh how I do miss home some times. But hey, I heard even parts of Sandiego/ ****** pass/grapevine got snow this last weekend. Sounds like you had a good trip- at least you missed this bit-

DA267B1F-795F-484C-9392-42C047FA572A.jpeg

TahoeDuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
just curious what pressure your running in the tires and how often do you rotate. Also hows the ride comfort on dry CA freeways?
Thx

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
just curious what pressure your running in the tires and how often do you rotate. Also hows the ride comfort on dry CA freeways?
Thx

I believe the fronts are at about 60 and the rears at about 70 psi. Seems it keeps it just above the TPMS from activating. I/we use my mega cab for family vacations which tend to be long road trips to Oklahoma a couple times a year, Montana once a year and various other 5-800 mile round trips each year. With this I am averaging oil changes and tire rotations about every 4000 miles. I know it is early on the services but it just happens to work out between trips that way and I prefer to have fresh everything prior to each longer road trip. For me the ride is great. A bit more noise than stock but these ST Maxx are about the most aggressive AT you will find. Handling is fine. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Price on the Coopers compared to the others was great too.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Jealous af with that snow! Been a horrible winter in New York for snow [emoji2959], lucky to keep any snow we get for a day or two, probably because I bought a new snowmobile and put some duratracs on my truck [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
That’s good to know. My 2015 2500 has the OEM Firestone Transforce tires and I’d never buy them again. The truck has 20,000 miles and the tires have been rotated every 5,000. The tires will be lucky to make it 25,000 miles and are really poor in this year’s snow. I’ve always had good luck with Coopers, but I’m also considering Continental TerrainContact tires. The Tire Rack has good things to say about the Continentals. Ridiculous that the OEMs can’t make 25,000 easy miles!

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That’s good to know. My 2015 2500 has the OEM Firestone Transforce tires and I’d never buy them again. The truck has 20,000 miles and the tires have been rotated every 5,000. The tires will be lucky to make it 25,000 miles and are really poor in this year’s snow. I’ve always had good luck with Coopers, but I’m also considering Continental TerrainContact tires. The Tire Rack has good things to say about the Continentals. Ridiculous that the OEMs can’t make 25,000 easy miles!

My 6.4 ate the transjunk at’s in 23k, my Cummins made 31k on the transjunk at’s and still has some tread left, both were/are 3500’s crew cab short bed tradesmans, which I find interesting... they are a garbage tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanman_2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always had great luck with cooper AT3'S and ST Maxx tires. I get around 10k more out of at3's but if the truck spends any real time off road st maxx is worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio