Trying to turn differential wheel to remove axle shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi again,
just making sure I am not crazy, ready to put everything back together, the rear axle shaft gearing don’t need to be packed? Are they libricated by the differential oil? Thank you all!

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Hi again,
just making sure I am not crazy, ready to put everything back together, the rear axle shaft gearing don’t need to be packed? Are they libricated by the differential oil? Thank you all!

I think your question is if axle BEARINGS get packed? No, they will be lubed by the gear oil that makes its way down the tubes. I usually wet them with gear oil upon assembly.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
My suggestion, if I am reading this correctly, is if YOU do not know how to put a vehicle into neutral - maybe it is NOT a good idea to take a vehicle apart.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
But it's one way to learn. The problem is when the job is all done and you have a few bolts and bits left over.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think your question is if axle BEARINGS get packed? No, they will be lubed by the gear oil that makes its way down the tubes. I usually wet them with gear oil upon assembly.
Just as stated above. I also usually squirt some gear lube on the bearings and make sure they have a good coating before installing the axle shaft. Also make sure to fill the diff up after you have it all buttoned together. Just want to make sure the bearings are not running dry for any period of time right after re-assembly before the lube you put in the center axle housing works out to the ends.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2011 Dodge Ram
To put it in Neutral, depends on whether you shift lever is on the column or the full floor console.

with the column shift, there is a panel above the E-Brake panel
watch this video

IF the shifter is on the full floor console,
1694028659670.png

Look down at the shifter, look mostly at where the DRIVE position is.
Look closely for a little plastic rectangle cut out
use a knife or very small screwdriver, to carefully pry open that little rectangular cut out.
Down inside that now exposed hole, there is a PINK thing
1694029296679.png

1694029375887.png
I never had to shift mine manually into Neutral, but that Pink thing is the Park bypass.

I seem to recall that you stick a flat blade screwdriver down in the hole