Trying to turn differential wheel to remove axle shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hello everyone,

I removed the rear differential cover to remore axle shaft. I am trying to turn the wheel to get a better working angle. Turning the wheels is not doing anything. What do I need to do to turn it another 30 degrees? 20230828_171116_Original.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need to turn the drive shaft. Are you 2wd or 4wd? Either way you can put the trans in neutral and turn the drive shaft. Make sure your front wheels are chalked.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i am 4wd. Tried to put the gear in neultralight, but didn’t help. I have a neutral button, but doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I guess I am not knowing how to do it. Front wheels are on the ground.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Trying to find instructions.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Put the key in. Turn the truck on. Foot on brake. Shift to neutral.
If the truck has a part-time transfer case and the front wheels are on the ground(he stated truck is in 4WD), putting the transmission in neutral won't help any.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the truck has a part-time transfer case and the front wheels are on the ground(he stated truck is in 4WD), putting the transmission in neutral won't help any.
He said it is 4wd. He needs to make sure it stays in 2wd mode yes. Otherwise it won’t allow the rear to free spin. You are correct.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you everyone. I had to put the transfer case in neutral also, manual didn’t teach, turned car on, brake pedal, transmission in neautral, held the neautral button for several seconds until light came on. Turned car off, put transmission back in park. Sorry I never done this before.
good news, got everything out, including bearing, bad news, broke the 3 bolts that holds the backplate. If I can’t remove the broken piece, might have to replace the whole brake bracket.20230828_195827_Original.jpeg

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Does anyone know what part is the one with the two holes to attach the caliper bracket? Also trying to find the 3 bolts that holds the backing plate, but no luck.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know what part is the one with the two holes to attach the caliper bracket? Also trying to find the 3 bolts that holds the backing plate, but no luck.
Why did you take the backing plate off in the first place? That was not necessary to remove the axle seal and bearing.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyhow you can take weld a nut onto the broken bolt and turn it out. Usually the heat from the weld will be enough to get it loose

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also there is a transmission disconnect lever behind the panel above your emergency brake release lever

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Why did you take the backing plate off in the first place? That was not necessary to remove the axle seal and bearing.

Hi, so the job is to replace the backing plate, and all brake hardware, but once I learned I had to remove the axle, decided to do bearings and seal as well. Thank!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know the thread size but I'm sure the dealer can look it up by Vin number

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Backing plates are often early discontinued items by mfgrs (I don't know if Ram has discontinued them yet) ....so it's a good that you are replacing yours now ..while they're available. The rear L is usually the fist one to rust out ...and therefore the first one to usually go "out of stock" by mfgrs it seems. But if there's aftermarket, that's great.

By the looks of the other bolts, you might want to put an Acetylene Torch Kit on Santa's xmas wish list this fall, he he
:favorites13:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you everyone. I had to put the transfer case in neutral also, manual didn’t teach, turned car on, brake pedal, transmission in neautral, held the neautral button for several seconds until light came on. Turned car off, put transmission back in park. Sorry I never done this before.
good news, got everything out, including bearing, bad news, broke the 3 bolts that holds the backplate. If I can’t remove the broken piece, might have to replace the whole brake bracket.
I think the issue with keeping it in reverse is that you turned it off. Will have to double-check but don't think you have to actually turn the engine on, but just the have the ignition on (accessory position), and have to leave it on. Not 100% sure as it's been a few years since doing a truck exactly like this as my current '16 2500 still has the traditional lever on the column.