Tuff Truck Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Called them, just now and got some illuminating info.

5th Gen Rams have a progressive rate, Rear Spring.

400#, first 2"
then, 500#, every 1"
up to maximum for your truck

TCC-1223V is a Variable rate spring, not progressive, but behaves, in essentially, the same manner and under same loads/weights.
Basically, you'd not notice any real world difference.

TCC-1223VT will behave differently, in that it will actually raise your rear truck height, roughly 1.5".
Otherwise, loads will behave very similar to OEM Springs. Just start out, higher.

TCC-1223 will still get you 50% greater load carrying capability, constant rate of compression and will lift rear of truck, roughly 3". This spring is designed for trucks, under constant load of 500# or more.

TCC-1211 will yield same 50% load carrying ability, also a constant rate of compression spring, keep stock ride height and will behave differently than O.E.M. Progressive rate Springs, under a load.

Remember, OEM Springs are: 400#, first 2" : then, 500#, every 1"
TCC-1211 : 640#, every 1" : 900#, directly over rear axle, drop 1.5" vs O.E.M. 3" Drop

When empty, should notice a more planted ride, but not really be any stiffer &/or firmer,
as the shocks, & the rest of suspension components, did not change.

If not wanting to risk the O.E.M. Ride 7/or Handling, then stay with O.E.M. Springs.
Try other load handling options to firm up squat and handling when under an actual load.
Like Timbren's.

Told the guy, I had 1211's on my 4th Gen and flat out loved them.
I hated the squishy, 4th Gen Ride BUT I love the 5th Gen Ride.
He still recommended the 1211's, for me.

Last edited:

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Tuff Trucks on my last truck and I loved them. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this truck because I haven't towed with it yet but that info you posted definitely helps out. Thanks.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd like to know what the difference between "variable" and "progressive" is in their minds. Variable (to me) means I can adjust it. Progressive means something gets incrementally worse/better/stiffer as you add time/load etc.

So if they're saying there is a difference between progressive and variable and their springs can't be adjusted (which in my mind means "variable") then I'd love to know what that difference is.

The 5th gens ride amazing unloaded, no question. Towing... not so much impressed by stock. I'll probably give timbrens a shot first as they're cheaper, take 5 seconds to install in the bump stops, and don't change unloaded ride quality in the slightest.

OP
OP
gofishn

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
My Understanding, which is probably so far off as to be beyond dumb, is that progressive means the coil, itself,
gets thicker, as it goes down, from top to bottom, so they can handle more load.

Variable means the coil is same thickness, throughout, but the spacing of the coils gets tighter as it goes down.

Did 1211 and bilsteisn on last truck at teh same time, and it was noticeably more planted and firmer ride.
Which I prefered. Did not liek running down gravel roads and have truck jump, left to right and right to lef,t as i went over road imperections, washboards, ro grading left over piles of rock.

My thinking is I will not notice any ride difference, with just the 1211 coils, but will notice much less squat and less of theat jumping around oem does.

That the Hope, anyway.
If its a lot stiffer, not really an issue since i have 3.4 tons most of my life.
Wife might gripe a bit though