Tuned EPA compliant Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey people,

I was wondering if any of you had tuned your cummins and left the Emissions components in operation. I’ve noticed a lot of companies are offering tunes that are EPA compliant, and curious how they are running.

Any info Greatly appreciated

BigBootyJudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I would also like to know. I would like to see better performance and mpg but not do a delete.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would also like to know. I would like to see better performance and mpg but not do a delete.

You can get better performance but not really mpg. Even full delete tuning on the late model trucks gains very little mpg if any at all.

I'll be honest, at this point the only real reason to tune (and delete) would be if you are having issues with the emission system that cannot be resolved or covered under warranty. The truck makes pretty good power as is and there is little to no gain in mpg.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey people,

I was wondering if any of you had tuned your cummins and left the Emissions components in operation. I’ve noticed a lot of companies are offering tunes that are EPA compliant, and curious how they are running.

Any info Greatly appreciated

I ran a "intact" tune for a little bit. A little different then a "compliant" tune but the DPF is still functioning. Ran fine, little to no gain in mpg.
Calibrated power seems to have done their homework on compliant tuning so I would check with them. My only worry would be long term use which has yet to be seen. Any increase in power/fuel has the likelihood of creating more soot then stock there for clogging the DPF sooner then later. They claim no more regens then normal but I'm a bit skeptical about that over the long term.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And FYI, Compliant tuning can still void your warranty so keep that in mind. You blow the transmission all they have to do is plug in and look at the flash count and tell it's been tuned.

BigBootyJudy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Thanks for the feedback. Back history: I have a 18 colorado minimax that I did a Green Dsl Eng tune on. Nothing wild, just small bump in power and tq. What I really saw was an increase in MPG and regens going from 125-250 miles to 450+. I believe it stopped EGR and Def which not doing the EGR would run cleaner and not plug dpf as fast? Anyway I had an injector stick open and blow a hole in #3 piston. GM saw the finger print on the ECM and said tune, no warranty. Even though they had inj failures and changed manufactures. They put in a new motor but had the new manufactured injectors put in. So I am just looking to stop EGR and def if that is possible? Just seems like recirc just adds build up of carbon and gunk.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the feedback. Back history: I have a 18 colorado minimax that I did a Green Dsl Eng tune on. Nothing wild, just small bump in power and tq. What I really saw was an increase in MPG and regens going from 125-250 miles to 450+. I believe it stopped EGR and Def which not doing the EGR would run cleaner and not plug dpf as fast? Anyway I had an injector stick open and blow a hole in #3 piston. GM saw the finger print on the ECM and said tune, no warranty. Even though they had inj failures and changed manufactures. They put in a new motor but had the new manufactured injectors put in. So I am just looking to stop EGR and def if that is possible? Just seems like recirc just adds build up of carbon and gunk.

Yes you can stop EGR and DEF usage and keep everything hooked up and DPF will still regen. They refer to that as "intact" tuning (and what I ran for a bit).

Regens on that Colorado were crazy! 125-250? Even 450 is a lot. My cummins was roughly every ~900 miles give or take.
With all of it gone I'm probably seeing ~0.5mpg increase over all. Now the older pre DEF trucks will do much better then that (2012 back?) but they got really bad mpg to begin with.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What gearing for you have with those 35’s? I have 35’s on my 11’, 3:73’s and on the hwy I’m at 1600 rpm’s at 70 mph. In town I average 13.5mpg’s, all hwy I’m at 17 hand calculated even though the dash says I’m at 22.