tuning out the P0420/P0430

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got a tune from Hemifever back in December for my 21'. I had just a Vararam at the time. However, I planned on getting catless ARHs soon, so I asked him if he could make a tune that would be ready to support catless exhaust. He quickly replied with a 93 octane tune that was ready for all the future bolt-ons I may get (exhaust, throttle body, etc.).

Fast forward to yesterday. I finished up installing the full ARH catless exhaust and the cat efficiency codes pop up pretty quick after a few miles of driving. The truck only has 5k on it so the sensors are pretty much new. Does this mean that Hemifever tuning, through the DS Trinity, cannot "tune out" the cat efficiency codes and prevent them from popping up, when running off-road exhaust? I know DS software is pretty basic compared to software like EFI, HPT, Cobb, etc... but I was hoping that would be possible. Im wondering if I need to switch Hardware/Software to the more advanced option of HPTuner to prevent the dreaded P0420/P0430 codes from activating with catless exhaust.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8

OP
OP
evolizzee

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, at least I have a hardware option now, if software alteration is not possible.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you talked with Hemifever?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I got a tune from Hemifever back in December for my 21'. I had just a Vararam at the time. However, I planned on getting catless ARHs soon, so I asked him if he could make a tune that would be ready to support catless exhaust. He quickly replied with a 93 octane tune that was ready for all the future bolt-ons I may get (exhaust, throttle body, etc.).

Fast forward to yesterday. I finished up installing the full ARH catless exhaust and the cat efficiency codes pop up pretty quick after a few miles of driving. The truck only has 5k on it so the sensors are pretty much new. Does this mean that Hemifever tuning, through the DS Trinity, cannot "tune out" the cat efficiency codes and prevent them from popping up, when running off-road exhaust? I know DS software is pretty basic compared to software like EFI, HPT, Cobb, etc... but I was hoping that would be possible. Im wondering if I need to switch Hardware/Software to the more advanced option of HPTuner to prevent the dreaded P0420/P0430 codes from activating with catless exhaust.
You could try the old school anti-fouler trick ,i've been running my wifes untuned 2019 Challenger for 12,000 miles with no cats and no codes using a couple anti-foulers.They're cheap enough and easy to install that you're not out much if they don't work,so worth a try

OP
OP
evolizzee

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you talked with Hemifever?
No, it’s the weekend. I sent him an email though. Might have to send another during their normal work hours. So far everyone has provided some great alternatives. Thanks

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, didn't know this existed. This could actually be helpful for me to pass emissions. STL auto fails when tuned.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting, didn't know this existed. This could actually be helpful for me to pass emissions. STL auto fails when tuned.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are these any different than regular antifoulers? Typical anti foulers didn't work for me. I had to move to a county that doesn't require emissions lol. May be moving back to an emissions required county. Although I guess I probably can't do that of I want to put a cammed 6.4 in lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are these any different than regular antifoulers? Typical anti foulers didn't work for me. I had to move to a county that doesn't require emissions lol. May be moving back to an emissions required county. Although I guess I probably can't do that of I want to put a cammed 6.4 in lol.
My understanding is they're actually mini cats.I've never used them,but if you read their literature it looks like they are actually mini cats to replace missing or hollowed out cats

OP
OP
evolizzee

evolizzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, Sean got back with me first thing this morning with a tune revision that eliminates the cat efficiency codes (P0420/P0430). It appears that, only a software tweak, was needed. Glad I got it tuned before going catless. I hate CELs.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
anti foulers are not emulators
emulators don’t use sensors in the exhaust flow if you use race gas you’ll probably need an emulator unless you have a stand alone ECM
Tuners use O2 sensors as sniffers down stream on a dyno.

Last edited: