Turbo Issues. Replacement Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I have a 2014 Ram 5500, 6.7 cummins box truck with 228,000 miles. It's been a great truck so far but recently threw 4 codes:

P2560
P003A
U0110C
P2BAC

One is a turbo communication issue, one NoX sensor, one coolant low,

The truck still runs smoothly however acceleration is weak and I think the turbo may be going out. I am taking it to the shop on Tuesday and over the phone they gave me a few options if the turbo is shot. Stock replacement, aftermarket w/o exhaust brake and new manifold, & tuner, or possibly replace some parts on my turbo.

I would appreciate any helpful advice as to what option to choose if any.

I'm in Houston,TX and need the truck for work with minimal down time.

I am considering doing the egr, dpf delete also. Lifetime mpg is 10.5 hand calculated on a truck that is usually at full gvwr 19,500 lbs.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Imho, before you replace the turbo, figure out what the comunicatcomm problem is rather than replace turbo first. You might end up replacing turbo and still have same issue.

As for the coolant, it had to go somewhere,. I would check hoses and connections along with the water pump. Of course check the radiator.

The sensor probably just needs replacement.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^^Critical suggestion. At 228k miles a diesel turbo should not be "out" The codes suggest that what has been suggested is correct. A "run scan" is needed and will tell the tech what caused the code to set. One code can set for a number of components. Sensor replacement is common. They are hard working part.

OP
OP
A

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Sorry I failed to mention that the coolant issue is likely because I need to replace the upper radiator inlet hose again. It will be the 2nd time for this part (1st at 103k) I have had the coolant flushed in the past and belt/water pump changed. I added some coolant yesterday.

OP
OP
A

Aggiect01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I had the truck checked out and was told that the actuator was bad at minimum. I decided to replace the entire turbo, manifold and exhaust system. I am also getting a custom tune. Hopefully this improves the already resonable mpgs and proves to be reliable.