U-Connect touchscreen no work in cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone else have this problem? U-Connect screen does not accept touch input when cold. Displays fine, and I can control function from the physical buttons around the screen and on the steering wheel, but the animated virtual buttons in the screen do not respond. After some driving, anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on how cold it is and how high/long I run the heater, eventually it begins to respond again. By my reckoning I think I have found the common denominator is how cold it is. This hasn't happened past summer, but beginning on cold nights in autumn and now every day in winter, when I start up the cold truck the virtual buttons do not respond until the cab heats up.
I have a coworker with the same 2020 Laramie and she doesn't have this problem.

Anyone else do?
Ideas?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Based on 24 yrs repairing touch screen medical monitors, these are in order of likely occurance.

#1 choice is replace the display itself.
#2 choice is replace display controller.
#3 choice is replace both of the above. I've seen one take out the other. Electrons are very fast.
You will need somebody smarter than me to cross this over to automobile parts.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could be your fingers, if you have poor circulation and/or your fingers get too dry. Do you have one of the touchscreen pens? Next time you try your radio and it won't work, try a pen and see if that works. You can try it both warn (keep in your pocket until use) and then try it again after letting it fall to the ambient temperature. While it may still be a "touchy" screen, if it works with the pen you may want to consider other options, maybe use the pen or a pair of capacitive gloves. Good luck.