UAQ /UAS , Better yet, Uconnect in general with USB C ports :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
just want to throw it out there, if anyone is doing uaq upgrades, or messing with media hubs.
Since it seems difficult to get a harness, ya gotta take things in yer own hands

I have a 2013 ram 2500, just upgraded to uaq and was looking for a cheap hub and found this one, 68397098AE, a whopping 42 bux (as low as $31) for this hub upgrade. it's for the new rams, but managed to get it in my 13 center console with no modification. it just fits on the backside on the hole, without coming thru,

i decased the back case. used the power from the "cigarette lighter usb" port in the center console for the hub and the usb from the radio, some 3m tape to hold it in place, some heat shrink tube to the wires ensure they don't slip off, BOOM done!

I will never use the aux port, so no need to make a harness and not even using the harness from the old media hub at all..again don't need it because i'm not going to use the aux port.
just need to get the hub to power up.

this can be done for any media hub if you aren't going to use the aux port.

Now i have 4 usb ports, 2 regular, 2 usb C, all work as well as android auto and carplay.

I am going to assume this might work with all the radios, not just the uaq

hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 20211207_165137.jpg
    20211207_165137.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 20211207_165149.jpg
    20211207_165149.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 20211207_165301.jpg
    20211207_165301.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
just want to throw it out there, if anyone is doing uaq upgrades, or messing with media hubs.
Since it seems difficult to get a harness, ya gotta take things in yer own hands

I have a 2013 ram 2500, just upgraded to uaq and was looking for a cheap hub and found this one, 68397098AE, a whopping 42 bux (as low as $31) for this hub upgrade. it's for the new rams, but managed to get it in my 13 center console with no modification. it just fits on the backside on the hole, without coming thru,

i decased the back case. used the power from the "cigarette lighter usb" port in the center console for the hub and the usb from the radio, some 3m tape to hold it in place, some heat shrink tube to the wires ensure they don't slip off, BOOM done!

I will never use the aux port, so no need to make a harness and not even using the harness from the old media hub at all..again don't need it because i'm not going to use the aux port.
just need to get the hub to power up.

this can be done for any media hub if you aren't going to use the aux port.

Now i have 4 usb ports, 2 regular, 2 usb C, all work.

I am going to assume this might work with all the radios, not just the uaq

hope this helps someone.
Does Android Auto and/or Apple Carplay work too with this hub?

OP
OP
thrashie

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
Does the USB c fast charge like it's supposed to or is it the same as the USB?
I assume same as usb, it all comes off the same port on the radio.
but i'm not 100% on that, didn't pay attention to the charge times, will look later

frederic noel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thnx i just ordered the same media hub and i have the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug that's why !

skydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
thrashie, I did this hub swap hoping to get CarPlay on my 2018 into 2016 upgrade.

For some reason, the head will not acknowledge a USB connection. I have power at the hub, phone charges but no CarPlay and no USB connection.

Disconnected battery, rechecked the connections, no love.

Amy ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
thrashie, I did this hub swap hoping to get CarPlay on my 2018 into 2016 upgrade.

For some reason, the head will not acknowledge a USB connection. I have power at the hub, phone charges but no CarPlay and no USB connection.

Disconnected battery, rechecked the connections, no love.

Amy ideas?
Did you purchase the hub conversion harness?

skydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
No, I did the power mod per thrashie using the same P/N hub.

The phone has power but no connectivity to the head.

Could this be a mission for AlphaOBD and the BCM?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, I did the power mod per thrashie using the same P/N hub.

The phone has power but no connectivity to the head.

Could this be a mission for AlphaOBD and the BCM?
If I'm not mistaken you must use the conversion harness as well which can be purchased from forum member and vendor @Mpgrimm2 . Even if I'm wrong, he can likely answer your question.

skydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Solved: I had to use the 2018 hub and was able to harvest from the radio donor truck.

Could not make a USB connection no matter what.

Sky

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I used this hub as well when I did my swap since I could get it much cheaper than the recommended one. I used the adapter from mpgrimm. It's been a while but I do believe I had to trim something to get the connector to fully seat in the hub. When it warms back up I can look. On mine the right side ports (facing hub) will run Android Auto. The other two will only charge. I 3d printed, sanded, and painted a faceplate for mine.

itsmrshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used this hub as well when I did my swap since I could get it much cheaper than the recommended one. I used the adapter from mpgrimm. It's been a while but I do believe I had to trim something to get the connector to fully seat in the hub. When it warms back up I can look. On mine the right side ports (facing hub) will run Android Auto. The other two will only charge. I 3d printed, sanded, and painted a faceplate for mine.
Would you be able to share the 3d print schematic you used? I am looking to do this too.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Would you be able to share the 3d print schematic you used? I am looking to do this too.

here you go

itsmrshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

here you go
Your the man!!!

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Question for OP and others that got this HUB working with all ports.. what settings did you enable in Alfa?

OP
OP
thrashie

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
Question for OP and others that got this HUB working with all ports.. what settings did you enable in Alfa?
I didn't add anything, it just worked.