UConnect 16.16.3 Upgrade Nearly Unusable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I upgraded my UConnect 8.4A in my 2015 Ram 1500 to the latest UConnect software the day after it came out. Roughly five days ago. Ever since then it's been a total disaster. Has anyone else had problems?

-Sits for several minutes when I start the vehicle up. No audio. It will say it's playing something, it's not. I can switch sources, turn volume up and down, etc
-Screen in the dash will say different source
-Buttons unclickable, or clickable an do nothing (strangely, the in dash screen will say I did something else - for example, I'll click an FM preset. It'll say I clicked the same present in AM, ex: it'll say I clicked farthest right AM station not FM station)
-Track progress will freeze, but continues to play. Minutes later it'll slide through all the songs that just played, and catch up. Literally it'll slide through a five minute progress bar in 3-4 seconds, through each song, until caught up.

I never had any issue like this pre-upgrade. It's gotta be the software as no device I connect have changed, etc. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Does anyone have a couple of the older version? (15.x). I just want to roll back to it.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you happen to have a SD Card or USB Drive or Phone connected that has a large library of songs?

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had some "ghosts" in the past few days since install. All were cleared by turning off the truck and letting it sit for a minute and restarting.
I'll have dealer flash if it continues.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded my UConnect 8.4A in my 2015 Ram 1500 to the latest UConnect software the day after it came out. Roughly five days ago. Ever since then it's been a total disaster. Has anyone else had problems?

-Sits for several minutes when I start the vehicle up. No audio. It will say it's playing something, it's not. I can switch sources, turn volume up and down, etc
-Screen in the dash will say different source
-Buttons unclickable, or clickable an do nothing (strangely, the in dash screen will say I did something else - for example, I'll click an FM preset. It'll say I clicked the same present in AM, ex: it'll say I clicked farthest right AM station not FM station)
-Track progress will freeze, but continues to play. Minutes later it'll slide through all the songs that just played, and catch up. Literally it'll slide through a five minute progress bar in 3-4 seconds, through each song, until caught up.

I never had any issue like this pre-upgrade. It's gotta be the software as no device I connect have changed, etc. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Does anyone have a couple of the older version? (15.x). I just want to roll back to it.
You may get more responses if you repost your concern here .

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=73871&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

INFO - 2013, 2014, 2015 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA)

OP
OP
T

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Do you happen to have a SD Card or USB Drive or Phone connected that has a large library of songs?

There are approximately 7300 items in my music collection on my iPhone that I usually connect. I suppose that is relatively large, however, I did not have any problems with it until I upgraded UConnect. Additionally, the problems occur without the device connected sometimes.

There is an SD card plugged in, which I essentially never use, I'll disconnect that.

Reset the radio to factory defaults multiple times, no luck.

OP
OP
T

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I've had some "ghosts" in the past few days since install. All were cleared by turning off the truck and letting it sit for a minute and restarting.
I'll have dealer flash if it continues.

What do you mean by ghosts? Items appearing that aren't really there?

I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow, see if they know anything.

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ra4

The truck architecture is being greatly confused by these 8.4 mods throwing codes glitches etc
Notice on 4 speed defrost comes on speed 5 supposed be 7
I pulled all items while still working have seen too many bricked and went aftermarket

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck architecture is being greatly confused by these 8.4 mods throwing codes glitches etc
Notice on 4 speed defrost comes on speed 5 supposed be 7
I pulled all items while still working have seen too many bricked and went aftermarket
I think the OP radio is original to his truck ? I think he just updated the software.

coolemoff1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My bad rlk but these ra4 mods just didn't fly for me way too many bugs and system way to limited for upgrades

OP
OP
T

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I think the OP radio is original to his truck ? I think he just updated the software.

Correct. I got an email from Chysler/UConnect that an update was available and it would add Siri Eyes Free support. I have an iPhone so I was excited and went ahead and installed it per their directions. Boy do I regret it!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad to hear , I was excited about Siri as well , I believe I'll wait this out a bit , Untill the bugs are worked out

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No system problems here. Had to find the perfect timing balance to open Siri hands free before my LockPick menu opens, but other than that smooth sailing. Are you sure you followed the directions exactly? They were a bit confusing so I brought them out to my truck to follow, took about 20 minutes. Try re-installing this update.

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im definitely hesitant to apply this update. over on the LX forums, a couple chargers who did the update on their 2016's appear to have soft bricked their radios with the uconnect update posted 4/28. im not going to do either my ram or charger until i see more success stories.

also, anyone know if a changelog is posted anywhere for these updates? if the ram update is only for siri, i could care less; android guy here :) the charger update didnt specify siri in its description like the ram update. curious what changes/fixes each one has.

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't noticed any issues with my update but haven't paid that close attention to some of the issues you pointed out. I will this weekend though.

I did notice that it does take a little longer for the radio to start playing when I start my truck though...but only about 15 seconds longer.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are approximately 7300 items in my music collection on my iPhone that I usually connect. I suppose that is relatively large, however, I did not have any problems with it until I upgraded UConnect. Additionally, the problems occur without the device connected sometimes.

There is an SD card plugged in, which I essentially never use, I'll disconnect that.

Reset the radio to factory defaults multiple times, no luck.

The voice recognition software has to index your music so that it can recognize a voice command to play a track requested. With this update I noticed that it was sluggish to start. Having some experience with other radios, I knew it was just indexing and I let it run it's course and all is working well. Other radios though inform you that it is indexing, the Uconnect does not as far as I know.

OP
OP
T

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
No system problems here. Had to find the perfect timing balance to open Siri hands free before my LockPick menu opens, but other than that smooth sailing. Are you sure you followed the directions exactly? They were a bit confusing so I brought them out to my truck to follow, took about 20 minutes. Try re-installing this update.

Yes, I printed them out to follow along. I may try reinstalling again but I did have the directions right in front of me.

OP
OP
T

themidnightwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The voice recognition software has to index your music so that it can recognize a voice command to play a track requested. With this update I noticed that it was sluggish to start. Having some experience with other radios, I knew it was just indexing and I let it run it's course and all is working well. Other radios though inform you that it is indexing, the Uconnect does not as far as I know.

So it's only indexing it now with the new update? Or was it doing that before too? Never had such a sluggish load ever before the update

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's always indexed but I believe this new update forces a re-index whereas other updates did not.