Uconnect 3g to 4g

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Just got one. Installation wasn't too bad. Took a while for it to establish a connection. End result is you will have a stand alone device allowing a 4G connection for your phone or a passenger's phone or iPad etc... It does nothing with your radio. It does allow all your other Uconnect options to run via Uconnect on your phone app. In the long run it's cheaper than the $149 for the same service without the 4G. This is only $9.99/month.
Where is the OBDII port located? 2018 Ram 2500 w/8.4 Nav. Just received my adapter and looking to install. BTW- they told me the contract is 24 months and if you leave early you have to pay a ETF fee of $120 - prorated.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got one. Installation wasn't too bad. Took a while for it to establish a connection. End result is you will have a stand alone device allowing a 4G connection for your phone or a passenger's phone or iPad etc... It does nothing with your radio. It does allow all your other Uconnect options to run via Uconnect on your phone app. In the long run it's cheaper than the $149 for the same service without the 4G. This is only $9.99/month.
I have amp power steps that connect to my OBDII as well as a dash cam utilizeing a 2 way splitter. i wonder if this dongle will work on a 3 way splitter with 2 other devices connected?

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I havent taken mine out of the package yet, but Im curious if it really needs the OBD port. The UConnect stuff works without 4G, right out of the head unit (at least for now)

Not sure if they use the OBD port just for power, or if they anticipate needing that setup for UConnect features once 3G is turned off. Or if they use it for more....nefarious...purposes.
this may not work. being told the OBD needs to connect directly to Dongle for it to work

rmlynch25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It sounds like the 4G adapter only provides a WiFi hotspot. Do you lose the Uconnect remote start over cellular with this option? Frankly that was the only reason I paid annually was to be able to remote start from a distance.

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My understanding is when 3G ends, the 4G adapter will take over. You should not loose your remote access.

Eltivo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I too have the adapter but have not yet plugged in. I was told by Uconnect that the upgrade will no longer allow you to do voice texting as "that technology isn't supported on 4g". WTH? Isn't advancing technology suppose to enhance our lives, not take things away? Frustrated and very curious if the 3g will work on Jan1, 2022?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I too have the adapter but have not yet plugged in. I was told by Uconnect that the upgrade will no longer allow you to do voice texting as "that technology isn't supported on 4g". WTH? Isn't advancing technology suppose to enhance our lives, not take things away? Frustrated and very curious if the 3g will work on Jan1, 2022?

If it worked on 4g then how would they push the 5g?

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ive had this for about a year and only plug it in when I need a wifi connection.

Eltivo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I agree 18crewdully, if it worked on 3g why wouldn't work on the updated 4g? I'm curious though, if we upgrade to the tmobile adapter, and then disconnect it when not using wifi 9like what hemi832 is doing), does the functionality revert back to the stock setup? Has anyone had an issue doing this back and forth thing?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got the adapter. First TMobile in North Dakota is pretty crappy. I have no idea what FCA did sprint in the first place as we don’t even have their service at all here. So far I have a pretty worthless hotspot that I don’t even care about. I wanted to remote start via my phone and that doesn’t work according to them until they switch it over when 3G ends which again I don’t even have here. My radio cannot connect right now since it hasn’t been shutdown according to them but I suspect my radio apps and such will never work and the TMobile unit will handle the remote start and wifi solely. I guess we shall see in a couple months. Sprint in a vehicle should have been illegal to start with they have such a small coverage map it is embarrassing.