Uconnect 3g to 4g

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My 2014 8.4 radio only works with 3g systems for internet access. I think it runs on the sprint system. Is there a way to upgrade the unit to 4g service without breaking me?
thanks

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got an offer message on my display for updating my uconnect Wifi hotspot to 4G through T-Mobile (Sprint). My uconnect lapsed after the first year and the message told me I could enable it for $9.99 per month and get the 4G adapter for free (12month contract or $120.00). I haven't connected the module yet (ODBII) but plan to this week sometime.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let us know how that goes... Interested if any features are gained or lost.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I got an offer message on my display for updating my uconnect Wifi hotspot to 4G through T-Mobile (Sprint). My uconnect lapsed after the first year and the message told me I could enable it for $9.99 per month and get the 4G adapter for free (12month contract or $120.00). I haven't connected the module yet (ODBII) but plan to this week sometime.

Yes, let us know. I called too, but lost interest when they said it was an ODBII dongle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S2000gtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It probably the sync and drive from T-Mobile . That’s the only OBD2 dongle that I know . Please let us know once u connect the dongle how it works?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any updates on this? Considering pulling the trigger because it looks like it comes with all the UConnect stuff, too, so at least thats a slight discount even if I dont want to use the 4G setup.

GeorgeRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got one. Installation wasn't too bad. Took a while for it to establish a connection. End result is you will have a stand alone device allowing a 4G connection for your phone or a passenger's phone or iPad etc... It does nothing with your radio. It does allow all your other Uconnect options to run via Uconnect on your phone app. In the long run it's cheaper than the $149 for the same service without the 4G. This is only $9.99/month.

Don Grove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Don Grove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the 4G upgrade it works fine but I now have the ugly black box with a white label sticking out below my dash. see photo
Let us know how that goes... Interested if any features are gained or lost.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

4g.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I got the 4G upgrade it works fine but I now have the ugly black box with a white label sticking out below my dash. see photo

View attachment 237286
Get a remote obd2 port. Amazon has tons of them. Gives youa port you can tuck up under the dash with your device plugged in, and leaves the oem spot open for diagnostic or other use

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a remote obd2 port. Amazon has tons of them. Gives youa port you can tuck up under the dash with your device plugged in, and leaves the oem spot open for diagnostic or other use

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I havent taken mine out of the package yet, but Im curious if it really needs the OBD port. The UConnect stuff works without 4G, right out of the head unit (at least for now)

Not sure if they use the OBD port just for power, or if they anticipate needing that setup for UConnect features once 3G is turned off. Or if they use it for more....nefarious...purposes.

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not impressed with the device. Plugs into obd2 port upside down, so you can’t see the lights to see status. Self contained, so it’s not using the vehicle external antenna. Not the greatest reception. The one year price was less than the regular uconnect price, so no loss. Device was completely dead today. Had to do a soft reset of uconnect to get it operating again. Have not been able to access WiFi settings (ssid and password) button is grayed out. May try to get an obd2 extension as someone suggested. No supporting app that lets you know how much of your 2 gig of data is left. Doesn’t appear to effect any functions of the dashboard uconnect system at all. Just provides a hot spot.

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spoke to support multiple times regarding device not powering up properly. Seems to be working fine. Support indicates that since 3G service will be discontinued, the Uconnect will eventually use the 4G dongle to provide a cellular connection for Uconnect.

Richbald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Ltr Cummins Diesel w/ AISN Trans
Is this thread still viable? I purchased the T-Mobile U-Connect adapter and have found it to provide very spotty service. I had to add an OBD2 dongle for it because I use that port to power my slide out steps. It works well sometimes. The good thing about the dongle is that I can mount it out of the way, and turn it in a way that allows me to see the three lights (2 blue and one green when working), and also have access to the frequently needed reset button.

My question is "how does this relate, or compare to the 'WiFi Hotspot' on my in dash monitor panel?"

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right now they are separate. 3G in dash, 4G hotspot only from the dongle. My understanding is when 3G goes away at the end of the year, the 4G dongle will provide service to Uconnect in the dash. I’ve had to do a reset multiple times on the 4G dongle. When I tried WiFi before in the dash, I thought the speed was not good. I can stream video pretty well with the 4G, but signal frequently drops off.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So correct me if im wrong. This provides a 4g Hotspot in you vehicle, to your phone....which has a data connection already? This is only good if you are using a device that is wifi-only like a ipad or laptop. I changed my data plan on my phone to provide unlimited hotspot data if needed. But if this is also activating uconnect apps in the vehicle, then I guess it may be good. But again its 2gb of limited data and im sure they'd charge you a lot for the overage data, which they are hoping you do by design of the program.

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They don’t charge an overage. Stops at 2 gig and no way for you to tell how much you have used.

MoSheepdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cell connection light was off again yesterday. Had to reset Uconnect to get it working again.