UConnect/Radio Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasLonghorns14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm new to this and hoping to get some help/guidance. I have a 2018 1500 Lone Star. This is my fourth Ram and have never had any major issues....until now. A few months ago, after the last UConnect update, the radio started 'channel surfing'. The problem has gotten so bad that the radio can't be used at all. I can't get it to stop running through the music channels and inputs long enough to use it. Now it starts this crazy stuff as son as I start the engine. AND it has de-laminated half the screen.

I've contacted Chrysler and was told it's a software issue through UConnect. I contacted UConnect and all I was told is my system has the latest update based on my VIN. My dealer told me they will not replace the radio because it's a software problem and not hardware and, besides, the warranty has expired.

My question - what is the best replacement I can get that will allow me to continue using Android Auto, the reverse camera, and Sirius XM? And is this replacement UConnect free and DIY installable?

The truck runs fine and everything else associated to the radio works (i.e. I can still use the reverse camera and can get text message alerts). I can't get phone calls or reply to a text message anymore either. Not that it's a big deal for me but hands-free is a priority considering I live in a large city.

Any help is appreciated.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Easiest route would to go aftermarket. Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine all make touchscreen radios with Android Auto/carplay. Most have the video input for BU camera and with the right harness you can retain factory steering wheel controls and remote USB port. Bluetooth would run through the new radio and not Uconnect and you would need the SiriusXm interface to retain satellite. Browse Crutchfield, they will offer everything you need and this can be achieved for about $500 up depending in head unit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I 100% agree about Crutchfield

I know that i want to buy another Ram in 2023 or 2024

I also know that i don't want a Smart Phone
I have an android base flip phone, it is all i need to make & receive calls
& text if i absolutely must

The Ram that i will get will likely be a Big Horn with the cheapest garbage radio that they have at that time.
Then i will go shopping at Crutchfield

Screw the new Uconnect 5 that just came out, screw the Uconnect 4.5 that is currently in most Rams

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm new to this and hoping to get some help/guidance. I have a 2018 1500 Lone Star. This is my fourth Ram and have never had any major issues....until now. A few months ago, after the last UConnect update, the radio started 'channel surfing'. The problem has gotten so bad that the radio can't be used at all. I can't get it to stop running through the music channels and inputs long enough to use it. Now it starts this crazy stuff as son as I start the engine. AND it has de-laminated half the screen.

I've contacted Chrysler and was told it's a software issue through UConnect. I contacted UConnect and all I was told is my system has the latest update based on my VIN. My dealer told me they will not replace the radio because it's a software problem and not hardware and, besides, the warranty has expired.

My question - what is the best replacement I can get that will allow me to continue using Android Auto, the reverse camera, and Sirius XM? And is this replacement UConnect free and DIY installable?

The truck runs fine and everything else associated to the radio works (i.e. I can still use the reverse camera and can get text message alerts). I can't get phone calls or reply to a text message anymore either. Not that it's a big deal for me but hands-free is a priority considering I live in a large city.

Any help is appreciated.
@RamCares may be able to help you get your radio replaced for free. This is a known issue due to a manufacturing flaw and many have had their radios replaced out of warranty by the dealer. The dealer should know this too...

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@RamCares may be able to help you get your radio replaced for free. This is a known issue due to a manufacturing flaw and many have had their radios replaced out of warranty by the dealer. The dealer should know this too...
Yep, it's called "good faith coverage" that can be approved for roughly a year after factory coverage expires at dealer level and after that, RamCares is a good advocate.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Yep, it's called "good faith coverage" that can be approved for roughly a year after factory coverage expires at dealer level and after that, RamCares is a good advocate.
Thank you both for your recommendations with this matter! We appreciate your tag!

Rob
Ram Cares

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Radio Updates to a new version. Radio doesn't work anymore BECAUSE of that update.

UConnect = Not our problem, it's hardware, call RAM.
Dealer/FCA = Not our problem, it's software, call Uconnect... Oh your warranty is also expired, sorry.

He didn't update it himself, it updated OTA and system worked before that update.

So leaving the end user hanging dry and passing the buck around seems to be common these days. I'd be f'n p*ssed.

I'd be curious to see how many other systems cr@pped out with that update.

ShipCopTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
I just bought my 2018 1500 Lone Star edition last Tuesday and I have experienced the exact same "Channel surfing" issue TexasLonghorns14 experienced. To say I am piXXed is putting it lightly. I should have tipped off by the CARFAX report that said that the radio was replaced when this truck came into the possession of the dealership I bought it from. Now what? To add insult to injury I cannot connect my phone via Bluetooth in UConnect. A little research on the RAM web page says that my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 is not compatible with the current version of uConnect. Only phones with Android 10 are compatible, of course I have Android 11 on my phone. uConnect support was kind of "tough luck" helpful. I looked into rolling my phone back to Android 10 but there is the risk of bricking the phone. I am not happy with my new purchase.

OP
OP
T

TexasLonghorns14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Any help is appreciated.
Hello everyone and thanks for your advice. I went with the Stinger HEIGH10 and love it. I installed maps and the SiriusXM tuner so have all the capabilities I had before the OE infosystem went bad. I was able to install it myself, plug and play, and increased my screen size to 10". I appreciate Ram Cares response but after speaking with a Chrysler-Fiat rep one-on-one she said after the system is replaced with another it will happen again. Unless, of course, I purchase another a Ram with a build date after '18 I won't get away from this. Ram trucks are awesome and I'll stick with them. This was an unfortunate situation that couldn't be resolved through the regular channels so I did the next best thing and came out ahead this time. I hope my posts helped someone reading them. And thanks again.

ShipCopTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Is what you installed just replacing the radio function of the OE system? Do you still use the RAM system for climate control and everything else but the radio?

OP
OP
T

TexasLonghorns14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is what you installed just replacing the radio function of the OE system? Do you still use the RAM system for climate control and everything else but the radio?
I have all the OE functions to include steering wheel controls, climate controls and a few extras. For example, I can tell the truck what tire pressure I want set before I get a warning. There are a few infosystems out there that do the same things but I liked the plug-and-play feature, no extra console purchases needed and the adaptability of SXM and Android Auto. I did research (aka Intetnet surfing) for a few months and kept coming back to Stinger. It's really going to depend on what you're comfortable with. Good luck!

ShipCopTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Would you be willing to snap a photo of your install? I like Crutchfield's adaptability to OEM space. I have used them a few times.

OP
OP
T

TexasLonghorns14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Would you be willing to snap a photo of your install? I like Crutchfield's adaptability to OEM space. I have used them a few times.
I've tried but keep getting an error message. Look it up on their website and YouTube.

Attachments

• 20220108_161258.jpg
    20220108_161258.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220108_161251.jpg
    20220108_161251.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 35

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just bought my 2018 1500 Lone Star edition last Tuesday and I have experienced the exact same "Channel surfing" issue TexasLonghorns14 experienced. To say I am piXXed is putting it lightly. I should have tipped off by the CARFAX report that said that the radio was replaced when this truck came into the possession of the dealership I bought it from. Now what? To add insult to injury I cannot connect my phone via Bluetooth in UConnect. A little research on the RAM web page says that my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 is not compatible with the current version of uConnect. Only phones with Android 10 are compatible, of course I have Android 11 on my phone. uConnect support was kind of "tough luck" helpful. I looked into rolling my phone back to Android 10 but there is the risk of bricking the phone. I am not happy with my new purchase.
Uconnect works with Android 11. You may need to delete any older Uconnect pairings from your phone and radio then try to repair. The ghost touches are only correctable with a new screen or radio. I would consider asking the dealer to replace it in good faith...

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the Note 20 Ultra and was able to connect it to my 18's uConnect system easily. This is while running Android 11.

ShipCopTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter HEMI
Thanks for your reply. After I cleared the cache and memory on the Bluetooth app on the phone I was able to pair my phone and test it. So much for getting reliable advice from uConnect. Guess they make it up as they go along.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Where did you buy from? My 18s screen is useless from the delaminating so I’m looking at options. Looks pricey at $1800 for the adapter and the radio. I don’t want to loose features and I don’t care about Sirius or GPS as I just use Apple car play for that and Apple Music 99% of the time. I like the bigger screen and all that though.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm in the same boat as black betty. That stinger looks awesome but $$$. Looking for options as well

Tony_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Have you tried to pull the fuse for the head unit? this solved my issues. It is under the hood near the firewall - it has a cap on it - I pulled mine and let it sit for a few minutes. This solved my issue. It did take a few for icons etc to show back up.