Uconnect update failed now stuck in boot loop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
I recently purchased a 2015 ram 2500 with very low mileage. Everything on the truck was perfect until I noticed the radio would freeze up and it would take 1 or 2 ignition cycles to get it working again. Well I Figured I would try to update and see if that would fix the problem. I followed all the steps recommended by dodge as well as several forum posts I found on similar issues, but my radio will begin the update and then give me a screen that says "update failed please remove USB" at unit 14 every time I have tried 5 different USB drives all of different manufacture and it's the same result every time if anyone has any advice I'm all ears as my radio is now useless, and I've had to remove the fuse to the radio so as to not drain my battery since the boot loop repeats even when the truck is off. Thank you so much for your time and any help y'all may be able to provide.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently purchased a 2015 ram 2500 with very low mileage. Everything on the truck was perfect until I noticed the radio would freeze up and it would take 1 or 2 ignition cycles to get it working again. Well I Figured I would try to update and see if that would fix the problem. I followed all the steps recommended by dodge as well as several forum posts I found on similar issues, but my radio will begin the update and then give me a screen that says "update failed please remove USB" at unit 14 every time I have tried 5 different USB drives all of different manufacture and it's the same result every time if anyone has any advice I'm all ears as my radio is now useless, and I've had to remove the fuse to the radio so as to not drain my battery since the boot loop repeats even when the truck is off. Thank you so much for your time and any help y'all may be able to provide.
The only thing that has worked for me is hooking it up to a trickle charger and letting it sit. I got one to update doing this but it may have taken a day or two. Insert the original USB you started with. What size was the original USB?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
it was a 32gb PNY. However I reformatted it after the install to insure it was fat32 but I did save the original swdlLog file from the first attempt before it was reformatted. (also tried a 16gb sandisk, and 2 16gb no-name drives) also are you saying just put in the usb and keep the truck on a trickle charger and let it keep trying to update

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
The only thing that has worked for me is hooking it up to a trickle charger and letting it sit. I got one to update doing this but it may have taken a day or two. Insert the original USB you started with. What size was the original USB?

When I try this with the original usb should I put that swdlLog file from the first update attempt back on the thumb drive?

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
it was a 32gb PNY. However I reformatted it after the install to insure it was fat32 but I did save the original swdlLog file from the first attempt before it was reformatted. (also tried a 16gb sandisk, and 2 16gb no-name drives) also are you saying just put in the usb and keep the truck on a trickle charger and let it keep trying to update
was going through the log file and found this.
"Installing unit 14 HD Update
Got the unit installer for HD Update
percent = 100%
status.value = 0, status.string = success
qkcp done
i2c-omap35xx operation start
?:0: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
?: in function <?:147>
?: in function '?'
?: in function <?:98>
(tail call): ?
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
?: in function <?:667>
?: in main chunk
[C]: ?
ERROR: INSTALL ERROR
Software Update failed, see 'swdlLog.txt' on the USB stick for more details
Eject USB for RESET"

Any ideas???

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
was going through the log file and found this.
"Installing unit 14 HD Update
Got the unit installer for HD Update
percent = 100%
status.value = 0, status.string = success
qkcp done
i2c-omap35xx operation start
?:0: attempt to compare number with nil
stack traceback:
?: in function <?:147>
?: in function <?:98>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
?: in function <?:667>
?: in main chunk
[C]: ?
ERROR: INSTALL ERROR
Software Update failed, see 'swdlLog.txt' on the USB stick for more details
Eject USB for RESET"

Any ideas???
32 might be too big (I think the recommended size is 8 with 4 being minimum). Try the 16 and throw the log file on it. Just set it and forget it. Your battery will die without a trickle charger though. They can be had pretty cheaply at places like AutoZone or Walmart. If on the third day its not running its probably done for. Did you see what module 14 is during the install? The typical failure is Sierra Wireless Aircard but I thought that was module 13.

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
32 might be too big (I think the recommended size is 8 with 4 being minimum). Try the 16 and throw the log file on it. Just set it and forget it. Your battery will die without a trickle charger though. They can be had pretty cheaply at places like AutoZone or Walmart. If on the third day its not running its probably done for. Did you see what module 14 is during the install? The typical failure is Sierra Wireless Aircard but I thought that was module 13.

It calls module 14 "HD Update" and Module 11 is the aircard but I'll give it a shot when I get off work, and I'll keep ya posted.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It calls module 14 "HD Update" and Module 11 is the aircard but I'll give it a shot when I get off work, and I'll keep ya posted.
Sorry, I see that in your prior post now...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Is this the original 8.4" RA3/4 or did someone upgrade the truck to the 2018 8.4" UAQ/UAS with Android Auto / Carplay?

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
Is this the original 8.4" RA3/4 or did someone upgrade the truck to the 2018 8.4" UAQ/UAS with Android Auto / Carplay?
As far as I can tell it’s the original however it could of been changed before I bought it is there a good way to tell now that it’s stuck in this loop? (I apologize for my ignorance I’m new to these uconnect systems)

OP
OP
C

Cade Sumrall

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Cummins
Well it's been several days and it looks like this thing is bricked made an appointment with my local dealership lets see what they say

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey Cade-- sorry to hear about that. Let us know how your dealership visit goes and reach out if you need any assistance!

Courtney
Ram Cares

ARKLima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Cade-- sorry to hear about that. Let us know how your dealership visit goes and reach out if you need any assistance!

Courtney
Ram Cares
I am in need of help, stuck on the boot loop and I have tried almost everything that has been mentioned on the internet. I have an appointment for the 25th at a local dealership…UConnect said to call them if the dealership tries to charge me. Is that true?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am in need of help, stuck on the boot loop and I have tried almost everything that has been mentioned on the internet. I have an appointment for the 25th at a local dealership…UConnect said to call them if the dealership tries to charge me. Is that true?
I'd get it in writing...

ARKLima

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question…with so many issues people are having, why is this not a recall?

@RamCares