Uconnect Update has my infomedia center not working anymore! Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachcam1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Afternoon I hope!

So this past Friday, I effed up and decided to try and update my uconnect because my navigation was complete garbage and had me all over the county, in rivers etc not important. I went to uconnect, entered my VIN, saw that I had a new update available, so I went and bought a flash drive, made sure there was absolutely nothing it like it said in the instructions, did everything verbatim per Uconnect. I get to step 11 (Air Embedded Card), its at 1% for that step and 72% overrall. I go back inside with my truck running, come back out 10 minutes later, no change, figured hey, its going to be a while, let it sit for a 45 minutes I come back out and still at one percent, so I shut truck off, unplug usb, restart process, and low and behold, since the second I did that, my truck for the last 5 days, continuously tries to push through the update. So I tried a bunch of things, and to no avail, it still won't work. Can anyone help me get this back to working? I use my vehicle for work and travelling so not having anything, blows. Here's a list of everything i've tried

Called Uconnect, referred me to dealership which then referred me back to Uconnect which then I got a case number with a Bily.
I reformatted the flash drive to 32 FAT, took 3 hours, re installed uconnect update, unplugged battery for the night, restarted process in morning. No luck
I went to walmart, bought a different brand of USB, smaller gig size, reformatted it to 32 flat immediately, left battery unplugged, tried again, no luck
I then had a 2 hour drive for work, so figured, hey i saw online it worked while driving, so I reformatted flash drive again, unplugged battery, I get a message halfway through trip, Sierra Wireless failed, immediately started trying to update again and failed.
I read to try and stop it at 1% during pre install, unplug flash drive, tried that, no luck.

Other than sacrificing an actual living breathing lamb, to Uconnect gods, i'm out of ideas.

Things I want to avoid doing
buying a new radio
I do have a warranty but I would rather try to fix this in my garage.

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got an email that says come January, Uconnect is mostly dead anyway, so good luck, they are shutting off the cell service.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Good Afternoon I hope!

So this past Friday, I effed up and decided to try and update my uconnect because my navigation was complete garbage and had me all over the county, in rivers etc not important. I went to uconnect, entered my VIN, saw that I had a new update available, so I went and bought a flash drive, made sure there was absolutely nothing it like it said in the instructions, did everything verbatim per Uconnect. I get to step 11 (Air Embedded Card), its at 1% for that step and 72% overrall. I go back inside with my truck running, come back out 10 minutes later, no change, figured hey, its going to be a while, let it sit for a 45 minutes I come back out and still at one percent, so I shut truck off, unplug usb, restart process, and low and behold, since the second I did that, my truck for the last 5 days, continuously tries to push through the update. So I tried a bunch of things, and to no avail, it still won't work. Can anyone help me get this back to working? I use my vehicle for work and travelling so not having anything, blows. Here's a list of everything i've tried

Called Uconnect, referred me to dealership which then referred me back to Uconnect which then I got a case number with a Bily.
I reformatted the flash drive to 32 FAT, took 3 hours, re installed uconnect update, unplugged battery for the night, restarted process in morning. No luck
I went to walmart, bought a different brand of USB, smaller gig size, reformatted it to 32 flat immediately, left battery unplugged, tried again, no luck
I then had a 2 hour drive for work, so figured, hey i saw online it worked while driving, so I reformatted flash drive again, unplugged battery, I get a message halfway through trip, Sierra Wireless failed, immediately started trying to update again and failed.
I read to try and stop it at 1% during pre install, unplug flash drive, tried that, no luck.

Other than sacrificing an actual living breathing lamb, to Uconnect gods, i'm out of ideas.

Things I want to avoid doing
buying a new radio
I do have a warranty but I would rather try to fix this in my garage.
I successfully pushed through a failed aircard. You will need to not touch it for up to 48 hours if its going to work. You'll also need to hook it up to a trickle charger while the vehicle attempts to update.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Try this, with the update USB drive plugged in and the radio is checking the ISO intergrity, pull the drive. This "should" stop your frozen update process. Make sure you are using a 8Gb drive. These systems can be real picky from my experience with them.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just got an email that says come January, Uconnect is mostly dead anyway, so good luck, they are shutting off the cell service.

Do tell! Exactly which parts of UConnect are going away? Please tell us more…
Best,
DG

OP
OP
C

coachcam1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try this, with the update USB drive plugged in and the radio is checking the ISO intergrity, pull the drive. This "should" stop your frozen update process. Make sure you are using a 8Gb drive. These systems can be real picky from my experience with them.
I tried that and no avail

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do tell! Exactly which parts of UConnect are going away? Please tell us more…
It's not the UConnect service stopping but it's the Sprint 3G CDMA phone signal going by the wayside.
This is why Ram has been offering a 4G dongle that plugs into the OBD port if you still want the UConnect service.

OP
OP
C

coachcam1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not the UConnect service stopping but it's the Sprint 3G CDMA phone signal going by the wayside.
This is why Ram has been offering a 4G dongle that plugs into the OBD port if you still want the UConnect service.
Would this fix my issue haha

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Would this fix my issue haha
If you rely heavily on using navigation in your truck, consider doing an UAS/UAQ upgrade to be able use AndroidAuto/CarPlay. Then the maps and traffic will be up to date. Granted the UConnect service isn't possible afterwards but it's a bit overpriced for what you get.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm assuming you've already tried this?

1. Ensure your vehicle is in park and in “Run” mode.
  2. Press and hold down the volume and tuner knob buttons at the same time.
  3. Hold down the knobs for 10 – 20 seconds.
  4. After holding down the knobs, the screen should flash your vehicle brand name and then go dark.
  5. After a few moments the brand name will return, the system will reinitialize, and it will return you to the main UConnect screen.

To me it sound like there is an issue with the radio be it software or hardware with the USB connection.
I'm guessing the dealer will just end up switching the infotainment system.

If they do try and talk them into a 2018+ version :D

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the 4g dongle which is been crappy at best. Right now it's only used for 4g tethering though from your comment it sounds like it'll connect to the infotainment system or at least interface with the trucks computer in the future?
I'm assuming more like the dongle directly from T-mobile does? "UpSyncDrive"

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for info because they did not include anything about this in the email I got

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the easiest navigation is thru your cell phone using google maps or WAZE app

I attach my iPhone to the dash using velcro on the dash and phone... just a small piece holds it fine

before going to the dealer with your problem contact infotainment.com

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I've really looked over what Uconnect offers in addition to what my truck has without the actual service they provide and I can't come up with a single reason to get it. If it were free I don't think I'd use it that much.

Az Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the same problem. I called Uconnect and got sent to the dealer.
The dealer attempted to reprogram the radio and that killed it, they had to order a whole new radio. Fortunately it's covered under my extended warranty/
No telling how long it will take to get the new one now that we are becoming Venezuela.

johnwayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 slt
Engine
U connect is just plain garbage. Even the 2021's 5 gen with 12"screen are having problems. When mine went on the 2015 last year I called stealership and was told I would have get a replacement. Cost installed was $1800.00!! THATS FOR A CRAPPY 5" ONE!! Do yourself a favor and go with an aftermarket double din for half the price. You will have WAY more options. I went the whole way and replaced all my speakers, added amps and subs blah blah. Point being uconnect is absolute trash love my kenwood excelon with apple car play and android auto. Plays video as well off my phone. Was half the price. ALSO IF YOU WANT DECK TO CONTROL FEATURES LIKE SEATS AC AND WHATNOT ITS A $200 UPGRADE ON YOUR NEW DECK BUT AGAIN MORE FEATURES LIKE FUEL CURVES, HP TORQUE AND PRETTY MUCH ANY INFO IS CUSTOMIZABLE ALONG WITH AS MANY TOUCHSCREEN BUTTONS YOU WANT!! (LIGHTBARS, BED BARS, WINCH ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES POWER) No brainer ditch the uconnect and get yourself a solid aftermarket deck

Tc3509

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another uconnect failure.... give it up and move on - see my threads on this issue if you want - go aftermarket

F.C.A. =

F ailed
C ustomer
A gain

I know its Stellantis now but , still not MOPAR if you ask me , Entire system failure, no radio, nav, hands free etc.. been through 2 radio's (Units) so far. 1 under warranty wich was only a refurb, as that is all that is available ( No NEW Radio) 4 U To even buy,, 983.00 for a refurb, then they sell your refurb to another schmuck for 983.00,,, patethetic but true,,, spend your money elsewhere on good or better electronics,, cant get any worse than uconnect - at this time I have other things to spend my money on, as i have no warranty anymore but when i upgrade i will pose

Sincerly sorry to hear of all the others like myself that are left on their own with this issue that F.C.A. Knew about all along

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
U connect is just plain garbage. Even the 2021's 5 gen with 12"screen are having problems. When mine went on the 2015 last year I called stealership and was told I would have get a replacement. Cost installed was $1800.00!! THATS FOR A CRAPPY 5" ONE!! Do yourself a favor and go with an aftermarket double din for half the price. You will have WAY more options. I went the whole way and replaced all my speakers, added amps and subs blah blah. Point being uconnect is absolute trash love my kenwood excelon with apple car play and android auto. Plays video as well off my phone. Was half the price. ALSO IF YOU WANT DECK TO CONTROL FEATURES LIKE SEATS AC AND WHATNOT ITS A $200 UPGRADE ON YOUR NEW DECK BUT AGAIN MORE FEATURES LIKE FUEL CURVES, HP TORQUE AND PRETTY MUCH ANY INFO IS CUSTOMIZABLE ALONG WITH AS MANY TOUCHSCREEN BUTTONS YOU WANT!! (LIGHTBARS, BED BARS, WINCH ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES POWER) No brainer ditch the uconnect and get yourself a solid aftermarket deck
I would consider a new dealer. That price is outrageous.

Bomber1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I simply bought thee Sprint/Tmobil plug in from their site. It works great now and costs me about $5 to $15 a month for service. You can connect up to 4 devices to it, so if other people in your truck want Wi-Fi they can have it also after you enter their phone information into your unconnect settings.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963