Uconnect Update?!!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noblesd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue with the USB port not recognizing the fob. Discovered that some thumb drives have hidden files on them installed by the manufacturer that cannot be deleted.
This will stop the update every time. If you format the thumb drive it will sometimes remove those files but not always. If you put the drive in the computer and search for files using
*.*, it will show if there are hidden files. Then simply use a drive without these files on it. Sandisk is famous for this as well as a couple others. I believe Kingston is OK. After another download and extract on a clean drive the update went very smoothly. Hope this helps.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure the dealership can do it for you, but if it is not a recall issue, they may charge you for their time. What is this update for? I haven't seen anything on for my truck.

Others have said that it relates to the GPS and having accurate time displayed on the clock.
I have done all of my previous updates, and they are really easy. If your system is behind in updates, the earlier version are also available on the Uconnect site.

Just make sure the only files on the USB drive are the ones for the current update (don't allow two updates to be on the drive at the same time).

Last time I was at the dealer for a recall, the lot boys stole all of my quarters out of the console:mad:

Dan

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately they pulled all of the previous update files off the server, once 18.45.01 was released. We have all of the RA4 previous updates, but only some of the RA3 previous updates (in this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/in...ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na-uax.73871/#post-1125799)

The actual 18.45.01 update was only intended to fix an issue that would pop up with GPS on November 3, 2019, which would cause inaccurate GPS and incorrect clock time (if you have it set to sync from GPS). Its not a map update, so roads that werent there previously still wont be there.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Unfortunately they pulled all of the previous update files off the server, once 18.45.01 was released. We have all of the RA4 previous updates, but only some of the RA3 previous updates (in this thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/in...ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na-uax.73871/#post-1125799)

The actual 18.45.01 update was only intended to fix an issue that would pop up with GPS on November 3, 2019, which would cause inaccurate GPS and incorrect clock time (if you have it set to sync from GPS). Its not a map update, so roads that werent there previously still wont be there.

OHHHHHH!!!!!! Back in November I was driving along and suddenly my Nav showed my truck about 50 miles from where I actually was! And it stayed in that "wrong" area for a couple days, I thought my Nav was f'ed up, and was about to make a service appointment to get it fixed. A few days later, that stopped occurring and it's been fine since. I DID NOT see any "updates" occurring? Were there small updates that went quick and UN-noticable or something? I've done the RA3 to RA4 (I think if I recal correctly) or whatever it was a few years ago via satellite, and that took about 45 minutes in my driveway with the truck running. Are they now updating automatically without us know or something?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OHHHHHH!!!!!! Back in November I was driving along and suddenly my Nav showed my truck about 50 miles from where I actually was! And it stayed in that "wrong" area for a couple days, I thought my Nav was f'ed up, and was about to make a service appointment to get it fixed. A few days later, that stopped occurring and it's been fine since. I DID NOT see any "updates" occurring? Were there small updates that went quick and UN-noticable or something? I've done the RA3 to RA4 (I think if I recal correctly) or whatever it was a few years ago via satellite, and that took about 45 minutes in my driveway with the truck running. Are they now updating automatically without us know or something?

The original 18.x version(s) were OTA....lots of people got stuck in a soft loop. If you pulled the fuse you could get out of it, etc.

Eventually they released 18.45.01 as downloadable on the UConnect update site, but A) it seems there are still plenty of VINs it is not "assigned" to and B) they released it literally 2 days before the bug was to occur, so as usually **** poor planning.

I have read that some people had no issue with GPS after the initial occurrence, but a week, or 2 or 3 later, the GPS went inaccurate and never got back again. The fix is to simply install the update.

If you check the System Information screen, you should be able to see what s/w version you have. If it is not 18.45.01, I would think about installing the update. While in that screen,s scroll down and note your Hardware Part number, so we can help point you at the correct update for your radio (99% of the time if you have done a radio swap, you will never get an OTA update again, so its possible yours needs more than one update)

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
The original 18.x version(s) were OTA....lots of people got stuck in a soft loop. If you pulled the fuse you could get out of it, etc.

Eventually they released 18.45.01 as downloadable on the UConnect update site, but A) it seems there are still plenty of VINs it is not "assigned" to and B) they released it literally 2 days before the bug was to occur, so as usually **** poor planning.

I have read that some people had no issue with GPS after the initial occurrence, but a week, or 2 or 3 later, the GPS went inaccurate and never got back again. The fix is to simply install the update.

If you check the System Information screen, you should be able to see what s/w version you have. If it is not 18.45.01, I would think about installing the update. While in that screen,s scroll down and note your Hardware Part number, so we can help point you at the correct update for your radio (99% of the time if you have done a radio swap, you will never get an OTA update again, so its possible yours needs more than one update)

Thanks for help, I'll run out and check... fyi, during that OTA update a few years ago, mine ws never "stuck", it just took for ever with a % bar slowling moving from 0 to 100% if I recall.

Rob j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s a software update not a map update. Map update is $150.

Squirrel1270

Air Force Retired
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called the dealer asking about if I have to make an appointment to have my truck updated or can I just bring it in. They told me there should be a thumb drive coming in the mail. That was about 3 weeks ago. How long does it take to get this update or am I supposed to contact someone at Uconnect to have them send me one?

Colby E Rau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did my update, it "bricked" my Uconnect. An OEM replacement was $1200, so I went on crutchfield.com and got all the stuff for an install for $430. I have a 2013 Big Horn and it was easy to do myself. Uconnect told me to keep trying the update but the screen wouldn't even come on. Aftermarket is the way to go

Harperjeff99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 l Diesel
I have been getting notices indicating that I needed to schedule an update. I have tried several times but either the update does not happen or it fails. The dealer told me that I should be able to get the update to start if I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and then reconnect. This didn't work either. Does anyone know if there is a way to kick off the update without a flash drive?

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0

Ok, I put my vin into the update site and checked on the truck per instructions:
Software Vers. 17.11.07
NaviServer: 9.10.32.682638
Hardware Part: 68238619AJ

According to the "update site", it says I should proceed to download 18.45.01 software update. FYI, my radio and everything else is all original oem that came from the factory.

So what does this mean, OTHER than I can download and update and try to install it? What is it updating, and why?? Is something broken, the GPS still?? AND more importantly, if there is an update for mine, why is/was it not updated OTA like it has been done previously/ AND/OR why has FCA not notified me? VERY CONFUSED!!!! Is FCA really this bad???

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I have the jump seat so it is a different setup. I was playing during my lunch break and I think the USB port is broken as not only wont it recognize a data stick but neither will it supply power for a charge cord. I did check the connectors and the AUX port works. I think I am going to replace the port assembly. now to find a part number

Follow up: I don't know why as it is never used but it turns out it was the USB port in the console that was bad. The replacement came today and I installed it, popped in the USB stick and the unit came up on screen for the update. That completed and of course I lost my cargo camera in the process(Had it hooked up as a front Camera) I will check out all the functions in the morning. Thanks for all who tried to help

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I put my vin into the update site and checked on the truck per instructions:
Software Vers. 17.11.07
NaviServer: 9.10.32.682638
Hardware Part: 68238619AJ

According to the "update site", it says I should proceed to download 18.45.01 software update. FYI, my radio and everything else is all original oem that came from the factory.

So what does this mean, OTHER than I can download and update and try to install it? What is it updating, and why?? Is something broken, the GPS still?? AND more importantly, if there is an update for mine, why is/was it not updated OTA like it has been done previously/ AND/OR why has FCA not notified me? VERY CONFUSED!!!! Is FCA really this bad???

I believe that part number indicates you had navigation from the factory? (you never paid for an activation code, it just worked from when you got the truck)

If so, you need the VP4/RA4 version of the 18.45.01 update, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vytremvn4m7530/Uconnect_VP4,18.45.01-My13-17.zip/file

The whole thread about this exact update is here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

The gist of it is that there is a counter in the GPS unit that "zeroed out" on November 3, 2019. The update makes it realize that its not the beginning of time (since it went back to zero), but rather 2019. Without the update, your nav will be inaccurate....showing you yards, meters or miles away from where you really are. It might work occasionally, then stop working, etc. It also affects your clock, if you have it set to update the time from the GPS satellites.

As to why you didnt get it OTA....their OTA process is flawed (at best), in reality its a complete POS so you are better off NOT being forced the OTA update, and install it yourself. If you need any help or have any questions or issues, feel free to post in the 18.45.01 update thread, plenty of people will answer pretty quickly!

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I believe that part number indicates you had navigation from the factory? (you never paid for an activation code, it just worked from when you got the truck)

If so, you need the VP4/RA4 version of the 18.45.01 update, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/5vytremvn4m7530/Uconnect_VP4,18.45.01-My13-17.zip/file

The whole thread about this exact update is here: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ro...sw-update-13-17-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na.150150/

The gist of it is that there is a counter in the GPS unit that "zeroed out" on November 3, 2019. The update makes it realize that its not the beginning of time (since it went back to zero), but rather 2019. Without the update, your nav will be inaccurate....showing you yards, meters or miles away from where you really are. It might work occasionally, then stop working, etc. It also affects your clock, if you have it set to update the time from the GPS satellites.

As to why you didnt get it OTA....their OTA process is flawed (at best), in reality its a complete POS so you are better off NOT being forced the OTA update, and install it yourself. If you need any help or have any questions or issues, feel free to post in the 18.45.01 update thread, plenty of people will answer pretty quickly!

Great, thanks for the help. and yes, the truck came from factory with NAV, never paid for any activation...

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Just received a letter from FCA stating that my Uconnect needed an update. In the letter were detailed instructions and a USB flash drive. The instructions are quite detailed, but they also say that the user can take it to their dealer and the dealer will do the software update.

I'm leaning towards taking it to the dealership as if they "brick" my Uconnect, it's on them. If I "brick" it who knows what'll happen. Has anyone else received this update and what are your thoughts?

Just came back from the dealer. They spent 5 hours trying to update the software - couldn't do it! Tried seven times. They said these was another truck in To do the same update and it wouldn't work. Also said they couldn't get ahold of Uconnect.

Said come back in two weeks and we'll try again. Damn, what a mess.

BTW uconect made the appointment for me and it was gratis.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just came back from the dealer. They spent 5 hours trying to update the software - couldn't do it! Tried seven times. They said these was another truck in To do the same update and it wouldn't work. Also said they couldn't get ahold of Uconnect.

Said come back in two weeks and we'll try again. Damn, what a mess.

BTW uconect made the appointment for me and it was gratis.

Can you get a screenshot of the System Information screens? There should be a listing for software version and you might need to scroll to see a listing for hardware part number. With both of those we might be able to help more than the dealer (and surely in less than 2 weeks!)

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Can you get a screenshot of the System Information screens? There should be a listing for software version and you might need to scroll to see a listing for hardware part number. With both of those we might be able to help more than the dealer (and surely in less than 2 weeks!)

Don't have a screen shot bur here is what I wrote down when I checked the software version from my display

Software Version: 17.43.01
NAVI: 9.10.32.702279
map database: CMC N4VP4NA :V2

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't have a screen shot bur here is what I wrote down when I checked the software version from my display

Software Version: 17.43.01
NAVI: 9.10.32.702279
map database: CMC N4VP4NA :V2

Was there a listing for hardware part number? You might need to scroll down on the first system information screen.

If you have a 2015 VP4, the 18.45.01 update should "just work". Getting the hardware part number would help troubleshoot if its a unit we've never seen before.

Have you tried the update yourself? If so, what error(s) did you get?

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I'll look for that tomorrow.

Don't know a FAT 32 from an Oreo cookie. Been reading now that only certain thumb drives will work with the software now.

If the folk at the RAM dealership can't figure it out I sure as hell can't. I was thinking as they were telling me the problem, I,m sure glad I didn't try that on my own. This just shouldn' be that hard for the pros. I've now read so many threads and post on this issue that I have no clue what is going on.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Apologize for rant. Think I'll just step away from this for a while.