Uconnect Update?!!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just received a letter from FCA stating that my Uconnect needed an update. In the letter were detailed instructions and a USB flash drive. The instructions are quite detailed, but they also say that the user can take it to their dealer and the dealer will do the software update.

I'm leaning towards taking it to the dealership as if they "brick" my Uconnect, it's on them. If I "brick" it who knows what'll happen. Has anyone else received this update and what are your thoughts?

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did it about a month ago, followed the instructions and I didn’t have any issues at all. It took a couple minutes for my truck to recognize my memory stick, which made me think I did something wrong. Once it recognized the usb update it was easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I did it about a month ago, followed the instructions and I didn’t have any issues at all. It took a couple minutes for my truck to recognize my memory stick, which made me think I did something wrong. Once it recognized the usb update it was easy.

Did you do anything to get it to recognize the USB. I plug mine in and nothing. tried half a dozen times and it will not show up. Its an 8 gig stick, Fat 32 and extracted with no root folder. Driving me crazy

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did you do anything to get it to recognize the USB. I plug mine in and nothing. tried half a dozen times and it will not show up. Its an 8 gig stick, Fat 32 and extracted with no root folder. Driving me crazy

Dont mean to state state obvious, but make sure your putting it in the data port and not the charging port. There should be two in your console.

In my truck, the left port is for data and the right one is for charging only.

Also, wait a few minutes after you plug it in. Mine took about 3 minutes to start reading it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know in my 2017 I have to use the USB in the center console.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had similar issues, and after the 2nd USB, Ucoonect suggested a "Kingston" flash drive, since many others don't work well. After that brand, and the information was down loaded to it, it worked. Be nice if they mentioned that in their letter.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive never understood the whole "one brand works better than the other".

If thats the case, I would blame FCAs implementation of USB and not the actual USB stick/manufacturer. They all work just fine in a PC lol

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Dont mean to state state obvious, but make sure your putting it in the data port and not the charging port. There should be two in your console.

In my truck, the left port is for data and the right one is for charging only.

Also, wait a few minutes after you plug it in. Mine took about 3 minutes to start reading it.

I wish I was in the wrong port and it was this simple. My USB charge is on the lower dash while the USB data and AUX is in the center console. I even tried the AUX port with an old phone to be sure it was connected. The data port will charge but not recognize the update. I will try some MP3 files to see if it recognizes something plugged in. It is a transplanted R3 with an activated Nav

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Maybe my truck is setip differently than others, but i have 2 usb ports in my console.

One has a little USB data symbol next to it. It can read files, play music, etc.

The other usb port is marked for charging. It wont read anything. It only charges phones.

The lower left port can be used for the update. The one on the right is only for charging phones.

IMG-20191212-073024785.png

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I wish I was in the wrong port and it was this simple. My USB charge is on the lower dash while the USB data and AUX is in the center console. I even tried the AUX port with an old phone to be sure it was connected. The data port will charge but not recognize the update. I will try some MP3 files to see if it recognizes something plugged in. It is a transplanted R3 with an activated Nav

Mine is an ra3 with activated nav as well.

Do you have a CD player? It may be possible to burn the files onto a cd-r to run the update.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Maybe my truck is setip differently than others, but i have 2 usb ports in my console.

One has a little USB data symbol next to it. It can read files, play music, etc.

The other usb port is marked for charging. It wont read anything. It only charges phones.

The lower left port can be used for the update. The one on the right is only for charging phones.

IMG-20191212-073024785.png
I have the jump seat so it is a different setup. I was playing during my lunch break and I think the USB port is broken as not only wont it recognize a data stick but neither will it supply power for a charge cord. I did check the connectors and the AUX port works. I think I am going to replace the port assembly. now to find a part number

Lconnally

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry for delayed response, I have the bench front seat, I used the USB port in the center fold down console. It took several minutes to notice something was plugged in. The first time I tried I gave up, next time just started truck, plugged in USB and walked away and came back after 5 minutes and it was on my screen.

mlehn5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay, not seeing my problem on this thread.... hopefully, you all can help me out. My 2015 has U5.0 and I was able to make and receive phone calls hands free.... a great feature, I thought. I got a new phone, Android, and it would no longer work. checked and sure enough, needed a software update....BUT to have the dealer do it, is an hour long task at $165/hr. This seems unreasonable to me. Thought it should update automatically or something.... anyone having this problem?....anyone got a fix? (other than pay the $165)....Thanks!

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I put all download files that were in the download folder directly to usb samsung 16gb stick. I did clean first to Fat32, put files directly without any type folder on stick. Took like 2 mins to recognize I had update on stick, then look just over 30 mins to update.

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know from experience that not every brand thumb drive will work.Some will and others will not .I had a similar experience to yours when I tried to update.I called Uconnect and they advised me to use an ONN brand which was available at Walmart.Worked great...

bowdude66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I received the letter with the memory card after I already downloaded the update to my own thumbdrive. Done the update no problem, took about 15 minutes

Ysook1212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed two weeks ago. Takes a good 30 minutes. No problems, but haven't really noticed a change. Will find out in a few weeks when I go back to an area that the road wasn't on the map

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Back to the original question: Can you just have the dealership do it?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Back to the original question: Can you just have the dealership do it?

Sure. The dealer will be more than happy to do it.

Most of us would rather put that 200$ or so toward some other purpose.

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I am sure the dealership can do it for you, but if it is not a recall issue, they may charge you for their time. What is this update for? I haven't seen anything on for my truck.