Uneven wear on front tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the first lifted truck I’ve ever had. Both front tires are pretty much slick on the inside portion. I have a 4in RCX (Rough Country?) lift and the tires are 35x12.5x20 Toyo open country at’s. I’m in the market for new tires and want to prevent this on the new ones. What’s causing this? Thanks! IMG_1375.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Have those ever been rotated? Alignment specs will be needed. How many miles and how did it track down the road?

Either massive toe out to fit the 35s on stock wheels or negative camber.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
has it been aligned since lifted? i know, seems like a stupid question. but had to be asked. there are some people who only do an alignment when they start dragging into a ditch and it takes Hulk like effort to keep the wheel straight.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a serve camber problem.

You rotate much!??!
3K miles!

Either way! You need an alignment and new tires! :)

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem. 6" RC lift and 35 Toyo A/Ts. I noticed the problem and had a rotation and alignment. Less than 6k later, the fronts are wearing on the inside again.

OP
OP
SigEp418

SigEp418

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the replies. The truck only has 45k. I bought it used at 40k, so I’m not sure when the lift and tires were installed. Judging from the wear on the rear tires, I’m assuming they were installed shortly after purchase. Does an alignment fix the camber issues? Sorry to be so car stupid!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so that's kind of where i was going. do you even know if it was aligned? you'd think it would have been, but. given you didn't have it installed it might have been a home done lift and not properly executed. i'd find a good suspension shop, show them the tires, have them inspect the lift. we can spitball why it's the way it is all day here, but that big a lift, i wouldn't want to try to fix it at home without experience.

JR9633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a very similar issue. 4" RC lift and 35" Toyo M/T's. I bought the truck with 15k miles on it and the lift and tires had just been installed. 12k miles later the inside of my front tires were bald. I was told an alignment was performed when the lift was installed, but I wasn't smart enough to rotate the tires so I attributed the failure to that. I bought new tires, got an alignment, and even though I now rotate them religiously every 3K miles, I still get uneven wear across the tire. It's not nearly as bad but it's uneven nonetheless. I've had it in the alignment shop several times. At first they were performing the alignment to RAM factory spec and since that hasn't worked, they're toying with other adjustments to try and get it right.

Does it sound right to you guys that aligning to RAM's factory specs would ever make sense? I'd assume with the lift the truck would sit differently and the alignment specs would need to be modified?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Check your lower ball joints thoroughly, movement under load will wear the inside treads.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Check your lower ball joints thoroughly, movement under load will wear the inside treads.
I with Tim on this check the ball joints for sure and tie rods for that fact.

Alright so seems several people are having the same issue here and i would be 99% of it is alignment related. A lot of shops will put it in RAM Factory specs well when you get the truck on the rack factory specs are broad and they are just aligning until they get the arrow in the green. There may be .5 degrees or more in the green portion of the specs that the tech is trying to get to and if hes lazy he want even things up or try to get it set as neutral as possible. I would find a new shop to do the alignment and one that does lifted vehicles would probably be better. Also if any of you all have the alignment sheets post them up or when you get them done curious to how they are setting them.

Triumphx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if there is an issue with RC lift as all 3 folks in this thread happened to have the same lift.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
You need to find a true alignment shop...not someone that can do a so-called alignment in 45 minutes...takes longer than that to set the vehicle and machine up properly.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems like that side has to much toe-out or are both tires in the front wearing down like that ?
That didn't happen in one day though. Keep an eye on all your tires more often, it'll help to watch for early signs of bad alignments, maybe you hit something hard on the road and you think she's ok just caus she's a truck :), spot foreign objects like nails,bolts, or any other thing that can pierce your tires. Takes and extra 15 sec of your time to do a fairly basic visual inspection often. I check mines every day, i'm so **** about my tires i'll even remove little stones that can get lodged in the treads.

For now have the aligment checked and see what you had before/after. post the sheet. please make sure to ask thr shop for a before/after sheet. they should provide you with one.