Unhappy with Recon Tailgate bar...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well like that title says, I'm unhappy with the Recon Tailgate bar, the white lightning to be exact. It's been a month today since I got it and installed it and just like our puddle lamps back when the truck came out, it's filled up with water and has killed 3 of my red LED's. What's really bad is that I live in Vegas...it doesn't rain very often here so ruling weather out, the only possible way water could have gotten into it is from washing my truck. It's only been washed twice since I installed the bar and for this to already start happening is a sign of bad product quality to me. Especially since Recon isn't cheap and make one of the biggest claims of being the best quality light product that you can buy. Sent them a nasty gram today, I can only wait to see their response and what they'll do if anything.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Not sure what I was thinking. Deleted.

Last edited:

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
ive hears a lot of good things about recon products......with the one exception, the tail gate light bars. Every tail gate light bar I think the ends should be siliconed when installed. Im happy with my Putco one so far. Got pics and vids if at all interested.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
All light bars are pretty much te same with different names on them
They all new to be onced over with silicon before being installed

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
pics
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg

Small demonstration vid. I just put the flashers on to show the difference in brightness between of the running light and the brake light. It has running, turn, brake, and revers lights. I was not able to get pics or vids of the reverse lights but they are white and ill try and get some at some point

Here is the vid
th_MVI_0519.jpg

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea, I've never heard anything bad about any of their products and then this happens and I'm like WTF?! I just hope they do something good about this because I really like the tailgate bar. The only thing that I didn't like about the whole thing was that when I went to installed it, my tailgate would not come off...haha

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
sorry I guess the vid was more about the tail lights then the bar....

I can do better if you like.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Not sure what I was thinking. I have a PlasmaGlow trail gate bar. My bad.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I have been very happy with mines.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
hmm now I dont know which one to get. I need one

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i agree it wouldn't hurt to give a once over with silicol

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I need to get one too.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had a rampage, the one end came unstuck so it was a little higher so you had to be careful opening the tailgate. Of course it didn't latch one day, fell and smashed it. I had a friend of mine whose an electrical engineer try to revive it to no avail
My dad has the same one. It like a year and a half old now, after some weather proofing it's fine

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks, hope they make it right for you. I had the exact same bar on my truck for 4 years with no problems. Once I did start having problems I found the plug to be corroded so I went to unplug it to clean it and one of the pins broke off in the plug of the truck. Had to pitch it then. Might get another one sometime.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, so it's taken almost a month and 3 attempts at getting someone's attention but I finally got someone form their warranty department to file a claim for me and my new replacement bar should be shipping tomorrow. It's about time too because over the course of the last month I went form 3 dead red LED's to I want to say about 15 and all of them are on the driver side half of the bar. I'm going to have some silicon waiting for this new one and seal it up so this doesn't happen again hopefully.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I bought the Recon line of fire and the first thing I did was sealed the entire thing up. I bought some auto/marine sealant. Its 100% RTV silicone. It should work. I used the plug and filled it dielectric compound to hope to keep the corrosion out of the plug.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry, this is kind of long winded....

Alright so finally a month and a half after I reported my tail gate bar as taking on water, dieing, and what not...i finally got my replacement bar this week. I had completely forgot that Recon warranties these for a year so when they responded a week later, all I had to provide them with was my order number and a picture of the bar showing what lights were out. I've already deleted the e-mails so I can't remember the time frame exactly but within a week after I sent the picture, they filed my warranty claim and gave me a fedex tracking number and said my replacement should be out in the mail by the end of the week.

That was somewhere between march 19th and 25th I want to say. And of course the end of the week had gone by and I figured being a warranty claim they'd take some time shipping it and gave them an extra week. I think I actually gave them two because I kept on forgetting to send them an e-mail asking what the status of my bar was. So sometime around the beginning of April I remembered to send them an e-mail asking what's up with my bar and to my surprise, a few hours later I had my answer. The reason why it was taking so long for them to ship my bar out was because between the time I received my first one and file my warranty claim, Recon had made an upgrade to their tailgate bars and they were on back order for a few weeks.

So it finally came in this week almost 2 months after the initial e-mail to them and then the fun began.

So the first difference I noticed between the 2nd and 3rd gen light was that it looks like they might have filled the bar with something to help prevent water intrusion. Can't really say and I didn't think of feeling for a weight difference when I had them both on the table. Another difference is all the LEDs are different, might even be a little brighter than the old one. The new bar is also about a 1/4 of an inch longer then the old and of course, neither end is actually sealed so that was the first thing I did before I started swapping them out.

The last two differences which proved to be the fun and a royal pain in my ass was first off, they spread the mounts out further apart to increase stability across the whole bar which is nice and they are using a much stronger double sided tape to hold it on.

At first I didn't realize the mounts were different, didn't notice until I had taken them off the new one, and removed the old bar from it's mounts. so once I noticed I had to take my tailgate off, as that's the only way to be able to remove them really, I proceeded to do so for the first time. Wish I had known it's as heavy as it is, that was a chore removing it and putting it back on. I ended messing up on of the corners of the tailgate unfortunately, not to bad but I will want to get that fixed sometime soon.

As far as installing the new one, it went on exactly the same as the old one but that tape made it a lot more difficult seeing as how the second it touched a surface with just a feathers amount of weight, it stuck. The tape on the old one was a little less sticky and allowed for easy repositioning so you got it right where you want it. I wish I had a buddy out there with me to help line it up just right because the second that tape touched a spot, you had to pull on that sucker to get it off to make an adjustment.

So new bar is on, I'm thoroughly happy with it, might be a touch higher then where I wanted it but oh well, it's still visible and doing it's job.

Now here's a few pictures of a section of the lights to show the difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen bars.

Old one on top and new one on bottom
IMAG0058.jpg

Old one bottom and new one top
IMAG0059.jpg

A topside view with new on top and old on bottom. As you can see, in the old style you can actually see the LED bulbs for the I believe red lights and it's an empty tube which allows water to flow around freely. The new one you can't see anything...
IMAG0060.jpg

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i have what you have now and I still sealed all the open seams