up grade = down grade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keith stanley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as many already know the factory infinity speaker with amp is great when they work. not so great when they go bad. i bought my 99 quad cab in March. still had the stock system in working order. the truck only had 88K miles when i bought it. around May or June i began to notice the speaker on the R side was not working. then i began to hear a crackling noise coming from the R front speaker. i took it apart to find the amp fried. i assume water got to it. after seeing how much the cost to replace. i went for up grade. Kenwood audio system so i can use my phone. and a nice set of Boston Acoustics 6x9. bypass the amp wiring in the doors and all is good. it has good quality sound throughout the volume range. and reasonable base range. so is it a up grade or down grade? i am happy with it so i say up grade.

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My vote is for UPgrade. Thinking of doing the same to support smartphone.
Enjoy!

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced my original head unit with a Kenwood recently as well. I had the same problem with my left side Infinity amp going in and out. I am still using the factory speakers with the built in amps bypassed. They can only handle about 3/4 volume, but still plenty loud. I also added a compact 8” powered subwoofer under the middle passenger seat to take some of the work load off of the factory speakers. No more low end distortion. Made a huge difference in overall sound quality. I eventually want to upgrade the factory speakers too, but it sounds pretty good now just the way it is.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s the sub I installed. Just fits under the seat. You’d never know it was there if you weren’t in the cab listening to it. Doesn’t affect my storage space behind the seat at all. Plenty of power for a truck cab, but not obnoxious where all the neighbors hear it either.

3054BB1E-B4F3-49E2-9213-276476A5CE11.jpeg

AC0A9E1C-6AB2-4F0E-A6A4-F816F04CE642.jpeg

Reactions: Mop