Upgrade stock speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking about upgrading all the speakers in my truck. They are the stock speakers non-Alpine. What brands would you recommend going with or should i just keep the stocks?

I was looking at some Kickers on Crutchfield

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got Kicker CS 6x9 in all the doors and the kicker cs 3.5 with bass blockers in the dash that replaced the factory spreaker.
Night and day change in sound

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The CSC Kickers will be an easy fit and upgrade. The factory EQ on the Rams really adds "brightness" to the dash when you put 4 ohm speakers up there. Another option is 46CSS694 components, and putting tweeters in the sail panels.
An installer told me the factory EQ adds something like 22db at 14k...so really bright.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I am thinking about upgrading all the speakers in my truck. They are the stock speakers non-Alpine. What brands would you recommend going with or should i just keep the stocks?

I was looking at some Kickers on Crutchfield

Almost anything would be better than stock. If you replace the dash speakers you are likely going to install 4 ohm speakers, and as Graygoose said, it will make your frequency response very treble heavy, in fact somewhat harsh sounding. The solution is to put a high wattage 4 ohm resistor in line with one of the speaker leads. I did a write up on it here:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

If you are going with 6X9's in the front door be aware that there is only 2 3/4" depth clearance. There are adapters available to allow deeper speakers but I didn't want to go that route so I looked for a highly rated 6X9 speaker on Amazon with the proper depth and bought them. Pioneer TSA-6966R.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@PowrRam , thanks for the tip on some 2 3/4" speakers. I wanted to upgrade my doors on a budget and found the Pioneers a step below those but same dimensions, 3 way coax on sale here in canada for 77 per pair so I bought 2 pair and just finished installing them. vast improvement for really a low price for a good quality well built speaker. 45 nominal and 400 max watts vs 60 and 420 on the set you bought but I'm not trying to win audio wars here. just wanted to ditch the crap paper cones as soon as i could find a deal.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Heres a vote for the JBL. Installed those in my Dad's truck and he loves them. The 6x9's are the Club 9630 (3 OHm) and GT0329 3.5's. For the cost it made a huge improvement. We did have to use spacers for the front doors, but as I recall the rears fit without them. I think it was $150-$160 for all 6 speakers.

Good luck!

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
What is your budget?
Are you willing to add an amplifier?
Do you want an aftermarket subwoofer too?

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything with a decent rep will make dramatic improvement over the stock speakers. I did the Kicker CS all around, w/4ohm resistor on the dash’s like PowRam. The difference was night and day...when the bass hit I can feel the air move my leg hairs...so I was bit by the bug and bought a 10”Rockville powered sub and mounted it behind the rear seat. Now it sounds pretty darn good for about $500 or so.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
with some break in, my pioneers sound fantastic. punchy bass, nice sound separation, fill the cabin (i like that fill the air sound) create a very nice sound stage. My ex bought a 2016 cherokee. looks like the same head unit. same idea with 4-6 x 9s. same stock ones. I said to her you HAVE to get a good listen to how mine sounds post adding the Pioneers. I played a variety of stuff for her...jazz pop, yacht rock, blues rock, urban, country rock. She thought they sounded amazing too.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anything with a decent rep will make dramatic improvement over the stock speakers. I did the Kicker CS all around, w/4ohm resistor on the dash’s like PowRam. The difference was night and day...when the bass hit I can feel the air move my leg hairs...so I was bit by the bug and bought a 10”Rockville powered sub and mounted it behind the rear seat. Now it sounds pretty darn good for about $500 or so.

Lmao....Felt your leg hairs move?? Sure it wasn't the bug you got bit by??
JK Thunder....
I did same same..kicker cs 6x9s in all doors then swapped to Focals with a 8" powered sub.
Simple yet rocks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stupid question but what is the power rating on the stock head unit and has anyone done away with the dash speakers and just ran crossovers in the front doors? Looks like a pain to get to the dash speakers

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stupid question but what is the power rating on the stock head unit and has anyone done away with the dash speakers and just ran crossovers in the front doors? Looks like a pain to get to the dash speakers
Just battle through the dash speakers for 15 minutes. You’ll be fine!
It’s worth it

OP
OP
Burstingbb

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your budget?
Are you willing to add an amplifier?
Do you want an aftermarket subwoofer too?

Budget would be around $400 MAX. Yes I would like to do a 10inch Sub (I have a kicker in storage) and possible extra amplifier for speakers.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small

pontiac69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seeing a lot of posts of people putting in the car kicker speakers in the doors. Are the pioneer TS-A6966R just as good? Amazon has 4 of those 6x9’s for 84 bucks. Also if getting new dash speakers. People talk about bass blockers. And here people are talking about a 4 ohm resistor. Same thing?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The stock setup is 6x9's 4 ohm in door, and 8 ohm 3.5".
If you add 4ohm dash, the way the factory EQ is, it really boost the dash, like crazy. So they are harsher. If you find 8 ohm dash, or maybe retain them if you get a better 6x9 in door.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seeing a lot of posts of people putting in the car kicker speakers in the doors. Are the pioneer TS-A6966R just as good? Amazon has 4 of those 6x9’s for 84 bucks. Also if getting new dash speakers. People talk about bass blockers. And here people are talking about a 4 ohm resistor. Same thing?

I just replaced the stock with 6 x9 Pioneers (actually a step below those ones. I have the G series. The A series handle more power basically). I haven't heard the Kickers, but I can tell you the Pioneers are AWESOME! Especially at the price. I considered new dash speakers as well, but someone commented with better door speakers, they found the dash speakers performed quite well without a change. I agree. I don't need to mess with the eq beyond tweaking and I'm able to listen to the system at a high volume level. higher than I need it to be by far for my ears. And no distortion. The Pioneers are probably the best budget stereo improvement for the money. It sounds like a new stereo!

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Seeing a lot of posts of people putting in the car kicker speakers in the doors. Are the pioneer TS-A6966R just as good? Amazon has 4 of those 6x9’s for 84 bucks.

I considered the Kicker 5 1/4" for the front doors but the 6X9 Pioneer's you mention have better sensitivity and bass response, plus they are bigger in size so they will move more air. And they don't need spacers to make them fit. They drop right in. I certainly like the sound of them.

Also if getting new dash speakers. People talk about bass blockers. And here people are talking about a 4 ohm resistor. Same thing?

Not the same thing. Bass blockers will cut off the lower frequencies to the 3.5" speakers. These smaller speakers weren't built to handle those frequencies.

The stock 3.5" dash speakers are 8 ohms from the factory. Almost all 3.5" aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms. The factory head unit is set up to "see" 8 ohm speakers in the dash so when you replace them with 4 ohm aftermarket speakers, the 4 ohm speakers with their lower resistance will be very loud and somewhat harsh sounding. Adding the 4 ohm resistors turns the aftermarket speakers into an 8 ohm load, which the head unit is accustomed to seeing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

UGAFAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I too was about to order the Kickers after upgrading my head unit last week. My buddy reminded me though that you are paying more for the name than you are the speaker. He turned me on to Skar Audio that he runs in every car him and his family own. (A lot of cars lol) I paid like $145ish for all 6 replacement speakers. And not just their entry level speakers, I went with their high end ones. I haven’t installed them yet but the quality looks amazing. I can’t wait to hear them. b6e8568e7e57fbfc6e50a0dcbf4277e2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk