How To: 4 Ohm Resistor Upgrade For Aftermarket Dash Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6

Installation of Resistors on 4 ohm Dash Speakers

This Modification Applies To Non-Alpine Dash Speakers

The Setup

I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with the stock 6 speaker stereo system and 8.4 Uconnect. I replaced the stock dash speakers with Polk DB351’s. These are 4 ohm speakers; the stock 3.5” speakers were 8 ohm speakers.

The Problem
The result is the Polk dash speakers play louder than designed and tend to overpower the 6”X9” front door speakers. (I have replaced the front door speakers with Pioneer TS-A6966R) Because the dash speakers are now 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms they draw more current and play louder. They seem excessively bright as well. Others have said their Kicker 3.5" speakers are too bright. I suspect any speaker of less than 8 ohms will seem louder and "take over" the sound in the front half of the vehicle.

The Solution
Short term solution was to severely turn down the treble on the stereo’s equalizer. I also cranked up the bass setting and tapped the fader one spot toward the rear speakers. This made the dash speakers less prominent and made the songs played from my USB stick sound acceptable but it was not a long term solution.

Long term solution as described by some here has been to wire a 4 ohm resistor into the positive lead of the aftermarket dash speakers to bring the resistance the 8.4 Uconnect “sees” from the dash speakers back up to 8 ohms. This will tamp down the loudness of my Polk dash speakers, reduce the brightness, and hopefully get my equalizer settings back to some semblance of normalcy.

The Parts
To complete the project I bought 2 resistors, 2 Metra wiring adapters and some heat shrink tubing.

I purchased two 3.9 ohm resistors rated at 10 watts from DigiKey. The cost was $.63 each. Shipping was by US first class mail and was $3.95.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/SQP10AJB-3R9/3.9W-10-ND/18725

The Polk 3.5” speakers had been installed in my 2015 Big Horn so I already had the Metra wiring adapters, part# 71-039C. I decided I might as well get another set to install the resistors. Then I would have one set with resistors, one set without resistors. However, the 71-039C are no longer available. The replacement Metra is part# 72-7902. These are identical to the 71-039C. I have read somewhere about “reversing the polarity” of these 72-7902 adapters, but no need to do this since they are the exact same part as the 71-039C.

I bought them here:

https://www.thewireszone.com/p-9366...s-for-select-chrysler-dodge-hyundai-pair.aspx

Less expensive than Crutchfield and a comment in the reviews from 2 months ago said, “worked perfect for my 2014 Ram 1500.” I was sold.

Metra-Identical-Adapters.jpg

I bought 1/8” diameter heat shrink tubing. I ended up buying a package of ten 12” long sections for $2.50 from an electronics surplus store in town. I subsequently found that Microcenter has 3 foot lengths for $1.29. I ended up using a total of about 3 inches of this tubing.

The Procedure
I gathered the tools I’d need—small wire cutter, small needle-nose pliers, wire stripper, soldering iron, and solder.

Resistor-Install-Tools.jpg

1. Cut a section out of the positive lead of the Metra adapter. (The positive lead is the white wire.) I decided to cut a section a tad bit shorter than the equivalent length of the resistor. That way, the finished assembly would have both wires the same length. Using the wire cutter I made the cut about 1” from the connector that hooks into the Ram wiring harness.

2. Strip about 3/8” of insulation off the positive lead wire. I used the small needle-nose pliers to clamp onto the wire about midway between the (now) small section of the positive wire in order to securely hold onto the wire. If you try to strip the insulation by holding onto the connector itself you might rip the wire out of the connector. I then used the wire stripper to strip off the insulation. Twist the strands of wire tightly together.

Place a ¾” section of heat shrink tubing onto the positive wire and slide it up to butt up against the connector.

3. Using the small needle-nose pliers form a “hook” in the exposed copper wire. Using the soldering iron and a small amount of solder, tin the wire hook. You will want to use the small needle-nose pliers to hold onto the wire just ahead of the heat shrink tubing. Doing this provides stability and also the pliers acts as a heat sink so the heat shrink tubing doesn’t shrink from the heat imparted from the soldering gun.

Resistor-Install-1.jpg

4. Cut most of the resistor lead off, leaving about 3/8” length remaining. Tin the resistor lead with solder. Use the needle-nose plier to form a hook in the resistor lead. Interlock the hook in the resistor lead into the hook in the wire adapter.

5. Use the soldering iron to solder the hooks together. Use minimum amount of solder as the heat shrink tubing will need to slide over the solder joint. Turn the assembly over and make sure you have a solid solder joint. If not, touch it up with the soldering iron and a tad more solder.

Resistor-Install-2.jpg

6. Gently slide the heat shrink tubing over the soldered joint. I had to wiggle it a little bit to get it to slide over the joint.

7. Use a lighter to shrink the heat shrink tubing into place. Hold the lighter’s flame about 3 inches below the heat shrink tubing. Twirl the wire on its axis to evenly heat the tubing until it shrinks tightly around the solder joint.

Resistor-Install-3.jpg

(Continued in next post)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
(Continued from previous post)

8. Repeat the process (steps #2 through #7) on the other end of the resistor and the other section of the positive wire.

Resistor-Install-4.jpg

Resistor-Install-5.jpg

The Preliminary Results

I removed one speaker and connected the resistor/harness assembly to it. I connected this dash speaker to my truck. I did not completely install the speaker, I laid its magnet on top of the dashboard. I now had one speaker with the 4 ohm resistor installed and one speaker without the 4 ohm resistor. Was there a difference in the sound output between the two dash speakers? Yes, but not as much as I thought there would be. I set the fader to fully front speakers and while playing music at a volume setting of 20 I moved the fader from left to right, and from right to left noting any difference in volume levels. The speaker with the resistor was not as loud as the resistor-less speaker but I expected more of a difference.

I put the fader back in the center position and played a couple of songs at volume setting of 20. This is a moderately loud setting. I fiddled with the equalizer. Played sections of songs I knew would be “treble heavy”. I suppose I did this for 10 minutes or so.

I wanted to see how hot the 4 ohm resistor would get. I cautiously reached for it and gently pinched it with my thumb and index finger….and….it was not hot, it was not even warm. In fact, it was basically the same temperature as the ambient air around it. That was a good result, I thought. That meant I could confidently crank up the stereo with no worries of this resistor getting blisteringly hot underneath my dashboard. The 4 ohm resistor wasn't hot because it was rated at 10 watts. Be sure to get 4 ohm resistors with a 10 watt power rating.

I installed the speaker with the resistor on the wiring harness, screwed it in place and replaced the cover grill. I then did the other wiring harness, installed it on the other dash speaker and replaced that speaker. I now had both speakers with 4 ohm resistors installed and in place.

The Results

I played some songs I knew were from good source material and had some dynamic range. “So Far Away” “ and “Money for Nothin’” by Dire Straits; “Abacab” by Genesis; “December” by Collective Soul, “Everyday is a Winding Road” by Sheryl Crow (Jeez, I’m dating myself…)

I kept adjusting the equalizer to tune the songs into what I perceive as good sounding. I noticed I was turning down the bass and turning up the treble. Here are my before and after settings on the equalizer, before resistors and after resistors. (Disclosure: I have an 8” powered subwoofer installed)

Bass
Before: +4
After: +2

Midrange
Before: 0
After: +1

Treble
Before: -4
After: 0 or +1 (depends on the album/song)

The system sounds much better. The most surprising thing, though, is that I can turn the volume up much, much higher and not get distortion. The max I dared to turn up the volume before the resistors was to about 24. At that level I could sense my brain didn’t want to listen to the music—there was something grating and raw about it. I can now go to 30 and not get the grating, harsh, “something just isn’t right” feeling. Now, at 30, it’s just too loud for my (old) ears!

I think the resistor install worked wonders to bring down the prominence and reduce the harshness of the dash tweeters. The system sounds better overall. There is less distortion. I can play the music louder. The front door speakers are more noticeable. All in all, a worthy mod.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man Ive been preaching the OHM mismatch for weeks and a witch hunt happens for me everytime like I have no idea what Im talking about.

Thanks for the write up! Doesnt help me, but I hope this becomes a sticky somewhere! It needs to be for all the non alpine guys that keeps asking why aftermarket speakers sound worse!

GREAT JOB

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Man Ive been preaching the OHM mismatch for weeks and a witch hunt happens for me everytime like I have no idea what Im talking about.

Thanks for the write up! Doesnt help me, but I hope this becomes a sticky somewhere! It needs to be for all the non alpine guys that keeps asking why aftermarket speakers sound worse!

GREAT JOB

Yeah, I think I was one of your detractors. I went after you when I just didn't know enough about the problem. I apologize.

I didn't have the problem when I put the Polk speaker in my 2015 with the Alpine system. Sure, the Polk's sounded a bit brighter than the stock dash speakers but they didn't overwhelm the system. Is that because the stock dash speakers in the Alpine system are 4 ohms?

Speaking of the Alpine system--my setup now is much nicer and sounds better and cleaner than the Alpine system I had in my 2015. I also think there is more flexibility and cheaper ways to make the stock 6 speaker system sound better than the Alpine system.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No worries, I forget all those who come at me on the internet, its just not important. The Alpine system being amplified so the OHM mismatch on dash/door speaker doesn't matter as they are not on the same channel.

Seriously though this thread should get a quick cleanup, and made a sticky for the non Alpine Rams. This would save a lot of people a lot of headaches in the long run.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
No worries, I forget all those who come at me on the internet, its just not important. The Alpine system being amplified so the OHM mismatch on dash/door speaker doesn't matter as they are not on the same channel.

Ah, yes. I'm remembering now. You said the front door speakers and dash speakers were wired in parallel and I said they weren't. I said they had separate wires coming from the head unit. Well, I was going by what I knew of the Alpine system, not the 6 speaker system. Again, I apologize.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, yes. I'm remembering now. You said the front door speakers and dash speakers were wired in parallel and I said they weren't. I said they had separate wires coming from the head unit. Well, I was going by what I knew of the Alpine system, not the 6 speaker system. Again, I apologize.

No hard feeling from me, glad you saw the opportunity to make your system better and used the information provided to help, it’s all we can do and n the internet is try.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Going to find some resistors now. Don't want to crack into the dash more than once.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP listed the ones he used at the top. One of the many things Ive learned on the internet, if someone links something that works, just use that!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
I ordered the Metra 72-6514 wiring harness adapaters....I'm assuming those won't work for the dash speakers then.....

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I ordered the Metra 72-6514 wiring harness adapaters....I'm assuming those won't work for the dash speakers then.....
Nope. Those are for the door speakers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Guess I need to find the dash ones then. Cool thank you.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just ordered some of these resistors for my dash speakers. I put them in yesterday and they are overpowering the door speakers. Thanks for the link.

Has anyone used these resistors with a bass blocker?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered some of these resistors for my dash speakers. I put them in yesterday and they are overpowering the door speakers. Thanks for the link.

Has anyone used these resistors with a bass blocker?

I have, and heres the issue. Without proper control over the rest of the speakers you end up with crazy midrange control issues. If you do decide to do a blocker do something in the 200hz-300hz range. A bass blocker is a 6db slope so its not to abrupt where you are killing the vocal range

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have, and heres the issue. Without proper control over the rest of the speakers you end up with crazy midrange control issues. If you do decide to do a blocker do something in the 200hz-300hz range. A bass blocker is a 6db slope so its not to abrupt where you are killing the vocal range
I believe mine are at 600hz. So I get no bass coming through them. Only the clicks on a bass and a kick drum.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe mine are at 600hz. So I get no bass coming through them. Only the clicks on a bass and a kick drum.

Yeah, just don’t want to be too high where you end up cancelling out the vocal range then you get an odd sound stage. 600 with that shallow slope is likely fine if the door speakers are playing it strong enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, just don’t want to be too high where you end up cancelling out the vocal range then you get an odd sound stage. 600 with that shallow slope is likely fine if the door speakers are playing it strong enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for tip. I didn't want too much being cut, but not much low end coming through. I'll post back on what it sounds like.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info PowrRam. I grabbed the adapters from the link you posted. I ended up going with 4 ohm 12 watt audio grade resistors from partsexpress.com. Will they make a difference? Probably not for a low powered dash speaker. Cost alot more to get 1% resistors but i liked that they were smaller and maybe wont dirty up the sound. Heres the link.1st try posting a link, hope it works

https://www.parts-express.com/mills-4-ohm-12w-non-inductive-resistor--005-4

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I finally got of my butt and did this, I ordered the resistors a couple weeks ago and they've just been sitting. My soldering skills are pretty weak, but I got it done without too much mess lol. Got them soldered up, shrink wrapped and mounted back in (Kicker KS 3.5's) this afternoon - still tweaking the EQ but you can definitely tell the difference from before without them.