Upgraded to the mopar kickers (with pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looking for the 6x9's that come with 77KICK28AB without the tweets. :favorites13:

But honestly...I will probably just pull the trigger on the 77KICK41's to get er done...seems to be more effort than its worth :roflsquared:

:favorites13:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know pretty much what the consensus here says, but wanted to ask anyway. I have the 8.4 nav HU non-Alpine. I think it sounds pretty good but wouldn't mind it sounding a little better. I'm considering getting the Mopar Kicker upgrade. I don't what want to drop big $$, so i won't get the subwoofer. Does replacing the tweets and door speakers really make that much of a difference with my stock HU????? I'm skeptical only because in the past I've replaced stock speakers with aftermarket with no improvement in sound. I actually thought it sounded worse. I appreciate your opinions.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know pretty much what the consensus here says, but wanted to ask anyway. I have the 8.4 nav HU non-Alpine. I think it sounds pretty good but wouldn't mind it sounding a little better. I'm considering getting the Mopar Kicker upgrade. I don't what want to drop big $$, so i won't get the subwoofer. Does replacing the tweets and door speakers really make that much of a difference with my stock HU????? I'm skeptical only because in the past I've replaced stock speakers with aftermarket with no improvement in sound. I actually thought it sounded worse. I appreciate your opinions.
Yes it does, you will not be disappointed. You'll be even more satisfied if you go get a quote from a car audio installer before you DIY it...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
blazenlo

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

In my original post I only had the front tweets and front 6x9's replaced and the difference to me is ALOT better than I was expecting. I held off on the rear door 6x9's because I too was skeptical. The rear 6x9's are now on order. If the fronts made so much of a difference...I cant wait to get the back in!:naughty:

I would love to upgrade to the sub and amp but its not in the budget right now...hopefully someday.

OP
OP
blazenlo

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, I was into competition car audio (SPL) 15 years ago. Even though I have been out of the game for a while...I was definitely doubting that this upgrade would be this much of a difference with no amp addition, running off the factory head unit. I was and still am amazed! :eek: Well worth the $150 for the front!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I will most likely get the fronts & backs.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
In my original post I only had the front tweets and front 6x9's replaced and the difference to me is ALOT better than I was expecting. I held off on the rear door 6x9's because I too was skeptical. The rear 6x9's are now on order. If the fronts made so much of a difference...I cant wait to get the back in!:naughty:

I would love to upgrade to the sub and amp but its not in the budget right now...hopefully someday.
When you're ready for the sub refer to my earlier post for the cheapest price...

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Has anyone used the 77kick11ab? Has the same for speakers but uses 3.5's instead of the 1" in the dash

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Has anyone used the 77kick11ab? Has the same for speakers but uses 3.5's instead of the 1" in the dash

That's for 2005-2008 premium models.

nairb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recently upgraded speakers and went for all 6. I have to say it was a great improvement even with the factory head unit. My only problem is that I am getting so much sound out of the Kicker dashboard speakers that it almost overpowers my door spearkers. Is there any way to tone down the front dash speakers? If I adjust the sound to the back it mostly just tones down the front door speakers. If not I may put the factory ones back in and see how it sounds with the factory speakers in the dash.

OP
OP
blazenlo

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Rear

So I got my rears in...They are MUCH better...but here's the deal. The rear door panels now over vibrate ALL of the audio improvements the front 4 added. They are awful! I wont lie...the rear addition actually makes it sound worse than before, in a way. I tried some at home monkey rigging to try and quiet the clapping of the rear door panels with no luck! I have yet to spend the added $50-75 on sound deadening, and really hope that helps. But if it doesn't...the factory POS rears will go back in for minimum fill...and I'll go back to praising the kicker upgrade!(front four at least)

BTW, I realize this is in no way kickers fault...its the truck rattling itself apart...

As before...factory left...kickers right.

mail.google.com%206_zpsjzandajv.jpg

mail.google.com7_zpsnz2h1awj.jpg

OP
OP
blazenlo

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently upgraded speakers and went for all 6. I have to say it was a great improvement even with the factory head unit. My only problem is that I am getting so much sound out of the Kicker dashboard speakers that it almost overpowers my door spearkers. Is there any way to tone down the front dash speakers? If I adjust the sound to the back it mostly just tones down the front door speakers. If not I may put the factory ones back in and see how it sounds with the factory speakers in the dash.

Go to the factory equalizer...play with the settings bro. Mine were changed totally different with this upgrade.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
UPDATE: Rear

So I got my rears in...They are MUCH better...but here's the deal. The rear door panels now over vibrate ALL of the audio improvements the front 4 added. They are awful! I wont lie...the rear addition actually makes it sound worse than before, in a way. I tried some at home monkey rigging to try and quiet the clapping of the rear door panels with no luck! I have yet to spend the added $50-75 on sound deadening, and really hope that helps. But if it doesn't...the factory POS rears will go back in for minimum fill...and I'll go back to praising the kicker upgrade!(front four at least)

BTW, I realize this is in no way kickers fault...its the truck rattling itself apart...

As before...factory left...kickers right.

mail.google.com%206_zpsjzandajv.jpg

mail.google.com7_zpsnz2h1awj.jpg
Are you sure you got the rear door panels back on properly? There are several "hooks" that connect to the inner door workings that need to be lined up.

I only noticed minor rattling from the passenger front which I silenced by adding tension to the door with foam pad packing material in between the door panel and inner door.

OP
OP
blazenlo

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure you got the rear door panels back on properly?
Yes. 100 percent sure. And after much research...I was hopping to hear of a simple fix. But instead...I found it to be a common problem...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small

Which ones did you put in there?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes. 100 percent sure. And after much research...I was hopping to hear of a simple fix. But instead...I found it to be a common problem...

You could get some damper, and just make strips, line backside of door panel.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This forum member put the factory dash speakers back in the last time I was in contact.

I also get too much sound coming out of the 3.5 dash speakers (dsc354)

Last edited:

nairb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

JBR is correct I went back to the factory dash speakers. I have the kickers for the dash and Blaupunkt for all 4 doors. Install was easy for all four doors and dashboard, it took about 45-60 min to install all 6 and about 10 min to switch the dash back. When I did the install in the back doors I did hear a vibration also but figured out mine was coming from where the seatbelt connects on the pillar. Slid it down about half way and it seems to have done away with any vibration for now. I tried to play with the equalizer and it only seems to move sound on the door speakers, not on the dash speakers. Something in between the kicker dashboard speakers and the factory dash speakers would be ideal or a way to control the Kicker dash speakers. The factory dashboard speakers will stay in for now unless I find another option.

One more note when listening to the Am/FM radio I received a ticking feedback sound on one of the drivers side dashboard Kicker. Problem was eliminated when I connected auxiliary cord to play music from phone. It also went away when I switched back to the factory dash speakers.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Mine is in the shop right now getting our powered 10" sub, and it's the first beta test for the new 4.1 amp powering all front 6 speakers. With that, we will be able to dial in each channel separately. I will listen then, and decide if I want to change dash and all door speakers to the Mopar coax, and retune. Adding the dash speakers like you did would certainly have them prevail over the others, but with the base system and no DSP makes it hard to dial each "set" accurately. What may be a tad much on highs for someone, maybe just right for the next guy.
So I may use mine to beta test both scenarios, because once I have the front 4.1 in, I can change DSP settings for whatever speakers I have in the door and save in the amp.

NWRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just changed all 6 on my truck this morning with the Mopar kit. I had a nasty rattle coming from the rear doors too. After beating on the door (with the door panel off), there was a rattle coming from the interior window belt trim. It's just hard plastic with no vibration insulation, and it sits loosely on the top of the door's sheet metal. So, while I had it off, I cut some thin strips of Dynamat to insulate it. It seems to have reduced the rattle by a good 75%. There's still a little noise...maybe from the panel vibrating against the door.

The inside window belt molding:
IMAG1045_zps7aii78le.jpg

Nothing underneath:
IMAG1046_zpsq4czah5v.jpg

Couple strips of Dynamat:
IMAG1047_zps2hdmnxfw.jpg

Back together. It was a tight fit---getting it over the vertical piece, but no more rattle! The door panel went on with no problem.
IMAG1048_zpsgisvtgol.jpg