Upgrading gas tank to 32 gallon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read most of the posts regarding this. I have a 2018 1500 Express extended cab 5.7L 26 gallon tank. I have the fuel fill issue. Have generally followed the logic tree in troubleshooting and am down to the evap canister and/or gas tank.
I have figured out I can reuse the mount straps and fuel pump. One post mentioned lengthening a vent line going to the engine compartment. Can anyone shed any light on this?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haven't read that option, but have you tried replacing the canister and the vent line? Many of the problems flow back to overfilling after the first pump handle shut off or a kinked vent hose. I am not sure how the tank would be a problem but I might have missed that in past discussions. Usually I am a diagnose and fix rather than blindly replace parts kind of person, but these two things are hard to determine if ***. Good luck.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Haven't read that option, but have you tried replacing the canister and the vent line? Many of the problems flow back to overfilling after the first pump handle shut off or a kinked vent hose. I am not sure how the tank would be a problem but I might have missed that in past discussions. Usually I am a diagnose and fix rather than blindly replace parts kind of person, but these two things are hard to determine if ***. Good luck.
I saw a few times on here the issues that happen require a new fuel tank as they make everything easier to fix these days, just joking on the last part. With my hemi and 3.92’s I couldn’t imagine how fast that gas gauge goes down with a normal size tank! I have the 32 and seems like a 25 haha

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you asking if you can upgrade your truck's tank to the larger 32 gal? (based on the thread title)

I *thought* the factory 33 gal tank was for RC/LB trucks, but I could be wrong. THIS one would says it would fit (??). IDK maybe someone else will chime in who knows tank fitment better.

There are aftermarket larger Titan tanks I've seen ..quite a bit larger. Do a google search. See if they'll fit your truck. Unfortunately the Titans are pretty expensive..could buy a lot of gas for what they cost.

Last edited:

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Are you asking if you can upgrade your truck's tank to the larger 32 gal? (based on the thread title)

I *thought* the factory 33 gal tank was for RC/LB trucks, but I could be wrong. THIS one would says it would fit (??). IDK maybe someone else will chime in who knows tank fitment better.

There are aftermarket larger Titan tanks I've seen ..quite a bit larger. Do a google search. See if they'll fit your truck. Unfortunately the Titans are pretty expensive..could buy a lot of gas for what they cost.
I have a crew cab standard box and have the 32 gallon tank, when playing on the ram site it seemed available with any trim

ncbeachbum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I replaced my 26 gallon tank with a used 32 gallon tank in my 2014 1500 Express. The 32 gallon tank mounted with the existing straps and connections. The 32 gallon tank is about a foot longer in front so the fuel line to the engine compartment is actually too long. I flexed my fuel lines to get them to work. Just try not to kink them.

One caution if you purchase a used tank. The 32 gallon tank has a baffle to prevent fuel sloshing when you stop. If the truck has been in a hard collision impacting the front the baffle may have broken loose and slid to the front of the tank. Without the baffle, fuel will move forward when you stop, reverse toward the rear then move forward all the way to the front causing a bumping sensation. The baffle in my 32 gallon tank was displaced but I was able to remount it. The thread below has a post about the baffle.

The tank swap was a good upgrade.

This is a link to a thread about replacing a 26 gallon tank with a 32 gallon tank.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/26-gallon-to-32-gallon-swap.71878/

OP
OP
K

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Titan makes diesel tanks. None for gas.

OP
OP
K

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my 26 gallon tank with a used 32 gallon tank in my 2014 1500 Express. The 32 gallon tank mounted with the existing straps and connections. The 32 gallon tank is about a foot longer in front so the fuel line to the engine compartment is actually too long. I flexed my fuel lines to get them to work. Just try not to kink them.

One caution if you purchase a used tank. The 32 gallon tank has a baffle to prevent fuel sloshing when you stop. If the truck has been in a hard collision impacting the front the baffle may have broken loose and slid to the front of the tank. Without the baffle, fuel will move forward when you stop, reverse toward the rear then move forward all the way to the front causing a bumping sensation. The baffle in my 32 gallon tank was displaced but I was able to remount it. The thread below has a post about the baffle.

The tank swap was a good upgrade.

This is a link to a thread about replacing a 26 gallon tank with a 32 gallon tank.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/26-gallon-to-32-gallon-swap.71878/
Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like I have replaced everything BUT the canister. To replace the canister I have to take the heat shield off the tank. To do that I have to take the tank straps off, essentially dropping the tank. If I do that I might as well replace both the canister AND the tank.

OP
OP
K

Kanemd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like I have replaced everything BUT the canister. To replace the canister I have to take the heat shield off the tank. To do that I have to take the tank straps off, essentially dropping the tank. If I do that I might as well replace both the canister AND the tank.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you've dropped a tank before, you know..run it low before you do. Gasoline sloshes to one side...you compensate to it doesn't fall out of your hands ...then the gas sloshes back to the other side... and repeat. It's a real pain even with like 5G inside. Two floor jacks make the job a lot easier.

Let us know how it goes if you swap it out.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does AlfaOBD allow a person to 'choose' tank-size? Or is that still a dealer reflash?

And if a guy had the older trucks which have the larger tanks (but came w/the 26G flash)...does AlfaOBD have the ability to change that to the 35 gal tank size? Or still a dealer re-flash? Hope that's not confusing how i wrote it.

Thanks

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does AlfaOBD allow a person to 'choose' tank-size? Or is that still a dealer reflash?

And if a guy had the older trucks which have the larger tanks (but came w/the 26G flash)...does AlfaOBD have the ability to change that to the 35 gal tank size? Or still a dealer re-flash? Hope that's not confusing how i wrote it.
You can use AlfaOBD. You have enter the number in Liters. It's under Body computer , then fuel capacity

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat