Upgrading muffler from stock...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll look into the Borla brand. I was just planning to get the muffler but also have the pipe go from a single to a dual out.

Had a mufflex D18 on my other truck and put a Borla pro xs on my 19.
Its a great muffler, a little drone and really roars on wot!
I DO have some other stuff done as well, 5" tips, pedal commandr, eco diesel air box with an added air tube and Green drop in filter, 85mm throttle body, legmaker box to tb tube, custom hemifever tune.
This video was with the Borla and tb only and 5" tips

https://youtube.com/shorts/F5UzCP0IQYQ

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i prefer the sound of a chambered muffler like a flowmaster, black widow or ... the regular ole stock sport exhaust

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Had a mufflex D18 on my other truck and put a Borla pro xs on my 19.
Its a great muffler, a little drone and really roars on wot!
I DO have some other stuff done as well, 5" tips, pedal commandr, eco diesel air box with an added air tube and Green drop in filter, 85mm throttle body, legmaker box to tb tube, custom hemifever tune.
This video was with the Borla and tb only and 5" tips

https://youtube.com/shorts/F5UzCP0IQYQ
man that sounds great!! Im socked at how good it sounds!!!

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i prefer the sound of a chambered muffler like a flowmaster, black widow or ... the regular ole stock sport exhaust

Might want to also look at Spintech if you like chambered mufflers. They are very good quality and sound great.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll second the Carven Progressive. I have that and the Carven stainless 5 inch tips to go with it and I’ll tell you, I couldn’t be happier. This by far is the best sounding exhaust I’ve ever had. Not too terribly loud when you’re being easy on the loud pedal, maybe a little bit of drone at about 1500 RPMs but man, when you hop on that throttle, it’ll bring a smile to your face… LOL.

A little pricey for the complete kit but I think it’s worth it. I don’t know if they improved the MDS between my 18 and my 2008 but, with this muffler, although I can still hear it when the MDS turns on but it’s not nowhere near as obnoxious and **** sounding as whatever aftermarket louder muffler I had on my old 08. All I can say is I’m sure glad that using a tuner with my old truck was very easy to do because turning the MDS completely off was the only solution to keep in my exhaust from sounding like absolute dog crap and being that I can’t tune my truck unless I buy a new unlocked computer as well, at least in this case, I don’t have to do that. I mean well, I can turn the MDS off with the plus minus buttons on the steering wheel but all I’m trying to say is that it’s just not really necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pwrwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put on since the day I got my power wagon love the sound it’s not to loud in cab but real nice sound outside. It’s a kit my muffler guy said it was well built. Flow master says it tuned to the 6.4 hemi I believe it is a 50 series. Truck to quite with stock exhaust plus it seem to have more power. Mpg seems to be better than what most get 14-18 trailer 10
The stock tires suck 16,000 and I’m luckily if I get 25 out of them
Flowmaster 817709 American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust System,Black muffler, natural tubing

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
How can you turn MDS off??
oh yea im familiar with spintech- in 09 the titan community was big time into them and yes they do have a great sound
Might want to also look at Spintech if you like chambered mufflers. They are very good quality and sound great.

oh yeah i know about spintech- when i bought my titan in 09 the titan community was big time into them

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put the Flowmaster Flow FX on my 18 Hemi, and it sounds awesome. I kept the factory resonator on the tailpipe. I can notice the difference in sound when MDS kicks in, but its not terrible, and like most I use the +\- buttons to go into manual mode and disable the MDS

ObiwanJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Spintech... the only thing I'll go with after having it on my Dakota and now my Ram.

I need some videos as I'm hauling ass with it...

Jeff Spiker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven’t bought one already, take a look at Carven Exhaust before you buy. They have a direct bolt in stainless setup very reasonably priced. I put the competition setup on my 2014 with Hemi two years ago and absolutely love it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven’t bought one already, take a look at Carven Exhaust before you buy. They have a direct bolt in stainless setup very reasonably priced. I put the competition setup on my 2014 with Hemi two years ago and absolutely love it.

Although I’ve yet to hear that Competitor in person, if I was in my younger days where the louder was the better, I’d be all over that one instead of the Progressive which in my opinion, is still pretty loud.

But, I don’t know if you know or if you care but from what I was told since these mufflers do have fiberglass in them that they’re like the ole glass packs back in the day that over time, they will get louder so who knows, my Progressive might actually be slowly turning into the Competitor series...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I installed the K&N CAI and it makes my truck faster, sound better, and increased HP and mileage by 47.3%.
j/k... I have five other vehicles that are modified, so every time I think about an upgrade on my RAM I read the negative comments and it assures me to not mess with it.
So that's my way of saying "thanks for keeping it real"! LOL

Magmini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did the total flow 14" direct replacement muffler on my wifes "13" . Factory dual exhaust and kept the resonators . Truck has mds but its not very noticeable . She loves the sound and i like it too . Its a straight through design and took about an hour to install . Cost just over 200 and is stainless steel .

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing out another option for you, look at Pypes replacement muffler kit, stainless, very resonably priced, no drone and sounds AMAZING!! My buddy has it on his Ram and gets alot of compliments on the sound. I have a Magnaflow catback myself and am saying this.