Upgrading from a Big Horn to Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ppk487

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all,

My 2019 Big Horn quad cab night edition was due back in 2021, but with the crazy prices I decided to buy it out since it was leased. I currently have just shy of 73k miles on it, and it’s under extended warranty with MOPAR. I’ve had no issues with the truck till now, it seems I have a pretty worn right axel and the truck is going in for service next week. Otherwise no issues and this is my third RAM. With a kid on the way the quad cab is going to be too tight. I’ll eventually need to upgrade to the crew cab. I’m likely to revisit trading the truck in again sometime in the next year and I’ve always like the Rebel. My question is, HEMI e torque aside, how much of an upgrade would it be going from the big horn to the rebel? Are rebels able to be had for below MSRP (when I went to trade in my truck in 21, they were all over MSRP)?

I’ve also debated getting a Raptor, it’s a tough choice I love both trucks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You dont have to get the etorque just because its a rebel.

Upgrade? A little taller suspension and better shocks is about it aside from the cosmetic differences. Stripped down rebels can be had.

JohnC24229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,

My 2019 Big Horn quad cab night edition was due back in 2021, but with the crazy prices I decided to buy it out since it was leased. I currently have just shy of 73k miles on it, and it’s under extended warranty with MOPAR. I’ve had no issues with the truck till now, it seems I have a pretty worn right axel and the truck is going in for service next week. Otherwise no issues and this is my third RAM. With a kid on the way the quad cab is going to be too tight. I’ll eventually need to upgrade to the crew cab. I’m likely to revisit trading the truck in again sometime in the next year and I’ve always like the Rebel. My question is, HEMI e torque aside, how much of an upgrade would it be going from the big horn to the rebel? Are rebels able to be had for below MSRP (when I went to trade in my truck in 21, they were all over MSRP)?

You can get a rebel for below invoice from one of the ram forum sponsors. Granger/ Koons/ mark dodge. Ect…

JohnC24229

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You dont have to get the etorque just because its a rebel.

Upgrade? A little taller suspension and better shocks is about it aside from the cosmetic differences. Stripped down rebels can be had.
If he gets a 24 he’ll have no choice but to get the etorque

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
FWIW, I drove a quad cab the entire time my son was growing up, first an F-250 then a Ram 1500. The Ram was fine, never had an issue with it being too small even on long road trips. If you just want a new truck and that's the justification, don't let me stop you, but you'll do fine with one or two kids and a quad cab.

For me, the Rebel is now way overpriced for what it is. I shopped it, the Raptor, the F-150 Tremor, the Silverado ZR2, the Jeep Gladiator (which one of these is not like the others...) and the Ram Power Wagon. The Rebel just didn't make any sense at 2022+ pricing. I ended up buying a PW with the F-150 Tremor as the runner-up. Now, in fairness I was looking at top trim levels and trying to get a capable off-roader. Base Rebels may compare more equally to their competitors, but I can't say yes or no on that.

Last edited:

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will start by saying that I've never owned a Rebel, or any other brand's competing model (i.e. Raptor, ZR2, ATX). I would definitely take a hard look at what you're paying for, though. There are offers from my local dealerships on a new Laramie for $55k right now. Just think of what you could do to make it more a nice off road capable truck for the extra $30k you'd be paying for the Rebel.

The same thing could be said back when Dodge was making the SRT10 Ram. They were $25k higher than a Laramie. And you could easily put a few thousand into a 5.7 and make it capable of hanging with the SRT10. But if I could have afforded the SRT10 back then, I probably still would have bought one.

This was a long way of saying if you like the looks of the Rebel and the electronic features it offers over a a normal 4x4, then it would be worth it. Otherwise, I'd say stick with a different trim and add some mods to it to get it where you want it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi all,

I have 2021 Rebel, I like it. I also have old 2014 Big horn, it's ok, but it was well used when I purchased it.
I off-road with my Rebel often. I also have 4 corner air. I think it would be big upgrade from what you have now, if you are purchasing new one or 2023.

Call the dealers in your area and see what they are offering. In my area, they have all lowered the prices for 2023 in stock as 2024 are coming out.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
I’ve got a 2019 ram sport, around 95,000kms, runs like a dream. Has been in 2 accidents, insurance repaired, 21k total in the last year. There’s a dealership in Edmonton that is selling 2023 Rebels at almost 15k below suggested retail price. 75k suggested, now 60k!
They’re willing to take my vehicle, I’m paying 340 bi weekly, pay of the whats owing, new payments would 400 bi weekly but for 8 years, right now I have 4 years left. Would you guys trade in? This rebel is super sexy, but so is my sport! I’d pay just a little more then what I’ve been paying now, but would have to be committed to truck for 8 years

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpeg
    IMG_0425.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Resized_20230816_142701.jpeg
    Resized_20230816_142701.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 15

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’ve got a 2019 ram sport, around 95,000kms, runs like a dream. Has been in 2 accidents, insurance repaired, 21k total in the last year. There’s a dealership in Edmonton that is selling 2023 Rebels at almost 15k below suggested retail price. 75k suggested, now 60k!
They’re willing to take my vehicle, I’m paying 340 bi weekly, pay of the whats owing, new payments would 400 bi weekly but for 8 years, right now I have 4 years left. Would you guys trade in? This rebel is super sexy, but so is my sport! I’d pay just a little more then what I’ve been paying now, but would have to be committed to truck for 8 years

If you can afford it why not.
Not that it matters much, but what is interest rate on old vs new one?

Other question I would have. Is are they giving you anything for older truck, or paying it off?
If they are just going pay it off. Then you should work out the value vs what is owed. Not big deal, but you would be able see how much paid and drove plus accidents.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't finance any vehicle for 8 years. At least nothing that's not a supercar like a Ferrari or something. But I'll never have that problem. Maybe pay on the Sport a little longer so you don't have to roll over as much. I don't like trading until I can at least get what is owed for my trade value. You're upside down on a vehicle enough without any added from a trade in.

I like the Sport better than the Rebel, anyway.

BJSwizzle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7L
If you can afford it why not.
Not that it matters much, but what is interest rate on old vs new one?

Other question I would have. Is are they giving you anything for older truck, or paying it off?
If they are just going pay it off. Then you should work out the value vs what is owed. Not big deal, but you would be able see how much paid and drove plus accidents.
My current interest is like 10%, they can get me a better rate as my credit had drastically improved, giving me good value as a trade after settling lien

Attachments

• IMG_1989.png
    IMG_1989.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 10

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No way I'd finance for 8 years. Refinance what you've got at the lower rate, make the bigger payments, get out from under the debt cycle sooner.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My current interest is like 10%, they can get me a better rate as my credit had drastically improved, giving me good value as a trade after settling lien

Looks fine. I would try get them to lower it a bit more. couple more thousand if you can. There are many dealers in Canada right now with a lot extra stock.
I think there was even news article about it few days ago. Of course it depends on the area. Ignore all people whining about 8 years thing. Not a big deal.
As long as new truck doesn't have any issues, you should be good.

I would make sure you get extra warranty though, even if you sell or trade in future.
If they aren't financing through TD, you can try them. They usually give best rates in Canada.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Ignore all people whining about 8 years thing. Not a big deal.

Even at a 6% interest rate, he's looking at roughly $17,500 in interest payments. That, to me, is a fairly big deal.

I'm retiring at 55 with over a million in cash and investments and wrote a check for my PW, all done on a single pretty middle of the road salary. So what do I know.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Even at a 6% interest rate, he's looking at roughly $17,500 in interest payments. That, to me, is a fairly big deal.

I'm retiring at 55 with over a million in cash and investments and wrote a check for my PW, all done on a single pretty middle of the road salary. So what do I know.

Grats for you I guess? Shrugs. Clearly he doesn't have million else, he wouldn't have 10% interest on his current truck.

I have way more than that, financed my truck, but at zero percent. Shrugs, doesn't help OP.

8 years for truck is not bad. as long as he can afford the new payment.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can go here and plug in all your information. It will show you the balance after each payment for the whole term. Compare that to what you think the value of the truck will be.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks fine. I would try get them to lower it a bit more. couple more thousand if you can. There are many dealers in Canada right now with a lot extra stock.
I think there was even news article about it few days ago. Of course it depends on the area. Ignore all people whining about 8 years thing. Not a big deal.
As long as new truck doesn't have any issues, you should be good.

I would make sure you get extra warranty though, even if you sell or trade in future.
If they aren't financing through TD, you can try them. They usually give best rates in Canada.
He asked for opinions. Just because the ones given differ from yours doesn't mean they're whining. lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Grats for you I guess? Shrugs. Clearly he doesn't have million else, he wouldn't have 10% interest on his current truck.

I have way more than that, financed my truck, but at zero percent. Shrugs, doesn't help OP.

8 years for truck is not bad. as long as he can afford the new payment.

And financing for 8 years at a high interest rate will keep him from ever getting there is the point. Nobody is "whining", the guy asked for opinions. Anybody who had bad credit and needs to finance shouldn't be ******* away $17k to the bank if they want to build themselves toward prosperity. Unless you're offering him a 0% loan, that's irrelevant since it's not on the table.