Upgrading muffler from stock...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2018 Ram and wanted to upgrade my muffler from stock. I was looking at the Flowmaster 50 Series Delta, but noticed that the Flowmaster 50 specifically said it was "Specifically designed for Dodge trucks with Hemi engines" and the 50 Series Delta did not. Has anyone put either muffler on their truck?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would venture that the Delta Flow muffler does not have a chamber to help absorb the MDS sounds.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would venture that the Delta Flow muffler does not have a chamber to help absorb the MDS sounds.
Gotcha. I've tried to look on YouTube about the sounds from MDS... Is the sound bad with flowmasters when MDS kicks in?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Nothing but stock with MDS on.........anything that makes exhaust louder amplifies the MDS sound.
If you turn MDS off you're good.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha. I've tried to look on YouTube about the sounds from MDS... Is the sound bad with flowmasters when MDS kicks in?
Lots of discussion about this. Even stock I can typically hear when the MDS kicks in. The freer flowing the exhaust, the more you can tell, and for some people that is very annoying. I personally cannot stand drone, which the HEMI has always been known for, and I believe why there are resonators in the exhaust system.

Last week I had a local muffler shop remove the stock muffler and install a Borla muffler only. I can hear the MDS deactivate 4 cylinders slightly more, but I doubt a passenger would even know it. I know it, but it is not something I would say is annoying. The overall sound is really quite good. I have used Flowmaster on maybe a dozen cars and trucks over the year, but my local guy, who does the work, no longer like flowmaster. He feels they are over priced for what you get, and that Borla is just a superior product, often for the same money. His 2 cents. I just like the way my truck sounds now.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

i have just a flowmaster muffler with no other mods to the exhaust. it IS noticeable, but what is bad to one may not be as bad to another . i find it annoying at times , but i use the gear+/_ to turn MDS off everytime i get in, primarily because i dont like the slight hesitation when MDS deactivates in an acceleration situation.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of discussion about this. Even stock I can typically hear when the MDS kicks in. The freer flowing the exhaust, the more you can tell, and for some people that is very annoying. I personally cannot stand drone, which the HEMI has always been known for, and I believe why there are resonators in the exhaust system.

Last week I had a local muffler shop remove the stock muffler and install a Borla muffler only. I can hear the MDS deactivate 4 cylinders slightly more, but I doubt a passenger would even know it. I know it, but it is not something I would say is annoying. The overall sound is really quite good. I have used Flowmaster on maybe a dozen cars and trucks over the year, but my local guy, who does the work, no longer like flowmaster. He feels they are over priced for what you get, and that Borla is just a superior product, often for the same money. His 2 cents. I just like the way my truck sounds now.
I'll look into the Borla brand. I was just planning to get the muffler but also have the pipe go from a single to a dual out.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have just a flowmaster muffler with no other mods to the exhaust. it IS noticeable, but what is bad to one may not be as bad to another . i find it annoying at times , but i use the gear+/_ to turn MDS off everytime i get in, primarily because i dont like the slight hesitation when MDS deactivates in an acceleration situation.
That's mainly what I do, the gear-/+ when I get in. Sometimes I forget and can tell by the sound, lol. I just didn't want to get a muffler and the sound go from meh to worse.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the flowmaster was on my truck when i bought it, and its in great shape so it stays for a while

if i was choosing from scratch, i would go BORLA i think that muffler sounds great on these trucks

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the flowmaster was on my truck when i bought it, and its in great shape so it stays for a while

if i was choosing from scratch, i would go BORLA i think that muffler sounds great on these trucks
Is there a specific Borla product I should look at?

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i cant help w that as I havent gone down that path..im sure if you search BORLA here there are plenty of comments

exhaust/ oil/ tires/ lift kits...EVERYBODY has opinions LOL
True! Most of mine is stock except the muffler (soon, lol)

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But with the exception of looking into Borla, I'm thinking between the 40 or 50 series flowmaster.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should look into the Borla Pro XS or the Flowmaster 50HD or Super 40 series. I've had about all muffler options out there and it will be hard to find anything better than the Borla. Nothing wrong with Flowmaster.....I did enjoy my 50HD for a time. Borla will most likely last longer. Not a fan of Flowmaster moving manufacturing to China.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should look into the Borla Pro XS or the Flowmaster 50HD or Super 40 series. I've had about all muffler options out there and it will be hard to find anything better than the Borla. Nothing wrong with Flowmaster.....I did enjoy my 50HD for a time. Borla will most likely last longer. Not a fan of Flowmaster moving manufacturing to China.
Good to know. How long does Flowmaster usually last?

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have a Flowmaster HD50 on my 2011 for almost 10 years. It sounds great very little drone with mds and no rust so far and I live in NJ where they use a lot of salt in winter. With 392's flowmaster muffler, K&N drop in and Superchips tuner truck runs 14.01@ 99.5 mph in quarter mile 2.05 sixty foot time in 900 da.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. How long does Flowmaster usually last?

Depends on where you live and if you get a stainless muffler or not. Most Flowmasters are not stainless, but they do make them in some series. Some folks have them rust out in a couple of years while others like Nova John have good luck.

OP
OP
frankcastle865
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on where you live and if you get a stainless muffler or not. Most Flowmasters are not stainless, but they do make them in some series. Some folks have them rust out in a couple of years while others like Nova John have good luck.
I'll see if the 40 or 50 Series come in stainless. We don't get much snow, but when they do call for it, they sure like to throw the salt and brine down like it coming a blizzard...

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a magnaflow 20 on my truck, i love it.

edit: i do the gear-/+ to keep the mds from kicking in.