Urgent Takata Airbag Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FCA engineers/designers spec the parts. The vendor manufactures the part to FCA specs. FCA tests the part produced to insure specs are met and,,,,,then squeeze the vendor for price. Look at the Delphi/GM ignition switch BS. We the consumer get caught in the middle, when FCA "does not" QC after initial acceptance. Critical vendor parts like air bags, cams etc should be spot tested from time to time to insure that vendor parts are still in spec. Companies who care about their customers and the product they put their name on, do that. As they did in the past. In fairness this is not exclusive to FCA. GM and Ford are cutting even more corners.

Again, spot testing probably would not pick up the airbag issue.

It only occurs once the airbags have been in hot and/or humid environment for some period of time.

FCA buys parts from suppliers...I find it hard to believe they would spec Takata to make the airbags different than any other manufacturer. Takata just pumps them out and the manufacturers install them. They could spot check a few today and they would be fine. Does that mean they arent shrapnel waiting to happen a few years from now? Absolutely not.

Hell, Honda knew about this like 10+ years ago and chose to keep it quiet.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Again, spot testing probably would not pick up the airbag issue.

It only occurs once the airbags have been in hot and/or humid environment for some period of time.

FCA buys parts from suppliers...I find it hard to believe they would spec Takata to make the airbags different than any other manufacturer. Takata just pumps them out and the manufacturers install them. They could spot check a few today and they would be fine. Does that mean they arent shrapnel waiting to happen a few years from now? Absolutely not.

Hell, Honda knew about this like 10+ years ago and chose to keep it quiet.
Exactly the point. If any of the party's cared about quality, we wouldn't be the ones paying with our $ and time.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly the point. If any of the party's cared about quality, we wouldn't be the ones paying with our $ and time.

Agreed but the blame doesnt really lie on the LAST company in the chain.

Again, no matter what testing FCA did, there is a very high chance it would still result in "yep, they're good" when in reality they weren't (because no one that I know of can predict the future).

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer took care of recalls before I bought my Rig. Also called in with my Vin# to double check after reading this, all good here......:dancingpoop:

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shakerman here i ntotaled my 2008 aug 3 17 the drivers side was done still getting recals for passengwe side iv called them.. my airbags didnt deploy
ouch

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
to; MikeG71 yeah i thought i was good to go contact your dealer ask can you check and guarentee product performance gen 4 is also having problems

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rich or Shakerman here: hey gen 3 owners what i was told is that the sensors can go off but it is not registered on truck computer,only the airbag deployment will show on computer. also once a sensor is activated it does not reset. there is a sequence that has to take place to deploy airbags, but nobody can tell me what the sequence is. i've spoken to service mgrs they don't know called Dodge they say speak to your service mgr that hasnt worked either.. My personal thought is i would like to know how many head on crashes for gen 3 and 4 have had non deployment is suebs?????

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TO: RAM CARES I GOT MY RECALL CALLED DEALERSHIP, GOT APPT WENT IN WAITED 2 HRS FOR THEM TO REPLACE EXPLODING MODULE DRIVERS SIDE. THIS WAS DONE IN NAMPA ID.NOV 2016.
MY OPINION AT THIS TIME I THINK DODGE HAS A MASSIVE PROBLEM WITH THE NON DEPLOYMENT OF AIRBAGS IN RAM TRUCKS. THE DODGE PEOPLE ARE LETTING TAKATA TAKE THE HEAT WHEN IN ACUTALITY, DODGE HAS THE PROBLEM ALSO. I'VE SEEN PICTURES OF TRUCKS A LOT WORSE THAN MINE WAS NO AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.. THIS SPANS GEN 3 AND 4 TRUCKS WHAT SAY YOU?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler, gm, ford, or any other manufacturer has nothing to do with the airbag failures. They aren’t in the business of airbag testing. Not only would this involve a huge amount of specialized equipment, training, more buildings and employees, but it also would put the liability on themselves. Why would they want to put their name on someone else’s product saying that they tested it, and open themselves up to a huge amount of potential lawsuits and fines? I can tell you this, if any vehicle manufacturer would have been putting their seal of approval on these airbags, they would be out of business right now.

I know it’s easy to point your finger at them because that’s what it says on the grille, but focus your frustration where it belongs, which is at the manufacturer of the airbags (who claimed bankruptcy and was bought out, btw). I’m usually never one to defend vehicle manufacturers about anything, but blaming them in this situation makes absolutely no sense. And no, I haven’t gotten mine replaced yet. Lol

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
It makes perfect sense. As a owner/buyer, we do not negotiate and purchase, design or spec the parts. The brand do's. We rely on the brand to be responsible in their selection of parts vendors and to check their vendors for spec compliance. As they did in the past. They all still have a quality control department,,,,that is not doing their job. Accepting a manufactures answer/excuse that this is the vendors faults is foolish.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pardon my French, but why the **** did I take my truck for an airbag recall a couple years back an now keep getting calls about getting my airbags done again?

Because the same ****** company that made your airbags the first time also made them the second time.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It makes perfect sense. As a owner/buyer, we do not negotiate and purchase, design or spec the parts. The brand do's. We rely on the brand to be responsible in their selection of parts vendors and to check their vendors for spec compliance. As they did in the past. They all still have a quality control department,,,,that is not doing their job. Accepting a manufactures answer/excuse that this is the vendors faults is foolish.
Explain how the car manufacturer is going to quality control airbags that are made by another company? Blow em all up? Airbags are one time use. You can’t test all of them obviously because then they’d all be destroyed. You can test an engine. You can test a transmission. You can test electronics. You can’t test the airbag that is in your car until it’s blown up. That’s why the manufacturer is liable for testing and guaranteeing that they will be safe. And like I said, car manufacturers are not going to put liability on their own shoulders that (rightfully so) already rests on someone else’s. If they did that, about 20 manufacturers would be out of business right now.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Explain how the car manufacturer is going to quality control airbags that are made by another company? Blow em all up? Airbags are one time use. You can’t test all of them obviously because then they’d all be destroyed. You can test an engine. You can test a transmission. You can test electronics. You can’t test the airbag that is in your car until it’s blown up. That’s why the manufacturer is liable for testing and guaranteeing that they will be safe. And like I said, car manufacturers are not going to put liability on their own shoulders that (rightfully so) already rests on someone else’s. If they did that, about 20 manufacturers would be out of business right now.
You are right, can't test each airbag prior to assembly. What used to be the manufactures procedure, was to spot test (sample) parts shipments randomly for compliance. In the case of airbags, they did activation tests to insure that the vendor runs were still in spec. You and I understand that liability, cost reductions and other factors have changed the manufactures business procedures. We the consumer allow them to deflect defects and poor workmanship to their selected vendor when we accept their Hollywood two step nonsense. It is their brand we buy and they sell. They need to own it.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long did it take for the parts for the fix make it to the dealer ? Been waiting a month now for that phone call they are ready for me to bring mine in.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are right, can't test each airbag prior to assembly. What used to be the manufactures procedure, was to spot test (sample) parts shipments randomly for compliance. In the case of airbags, they did activation tests to insure that the vendor runs were still in spec. You and I understand that liability, cost reductions and other factors have changed the manufactures business procedures. We the consumer allow them to deflect defects and poor workmanship to their selected vendor when we accept their Hollywood two step nonsense. It is their brand we buy and they sell. They need to own it.
I understand what you’re saying too and it would be justified to place the blame on the vehicle manufacturer if they had gone with some kind of off the wall, cost cutting option for the airbags. But Takata was pretty much the standard that the majority of vehicles used. I would be pissed at dodge to find out that they used some sort of cheapo no name brand for airbags and they ended up hurting people. But they and all the other manufacturers were using what was pretty much the standard as far as the airbags. It was a big screwup on Takata’s part, but the vehicle manufacturers really had nothing to do with it and it took years for the problem to show up.

Anyway, I should call and get mine done. I had the recall done on my Honda but not my dodge. It was quick and easy for the Honda.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I understand what you’re saying too and it would be justified to place the blame on the vehicle manufacturer if they had gone with some kind of off the wall, cost cutting option for the airbags. But Takata was pretty much the standard that the majority of vehicles used. I would be pissed at dodge to find out that they used some sort of cheapo no name brand for airbags and they ended up hurting people. But they and all the other manufacturers were using what was pretty much the standard as far as the airbags. It was a big screwup on Takata’s part, but the vehicle manufacturers really had nothing to do with it and it took years for the problem to show up.

Anyway, I should call and get mine done. I had the recall done on my Honda but not my dodge. It was quick and easy for the Honda.
I respect your point. My 03 and 07 got done in half a day. BTW, hope never to know if they actually work.

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
rich/shakerman here: MY thoughts ,dodge is sticking their heads in the sand. I'M A devout mopar fan forever and it hurts me to see all the grief brought about non deployment. first of all i followed recall directives went to dodge dealer had module replaced 9 months later i was in a head on totaled truck neither airbag deployed. i've seen other ram photos that make my crash look like a dent from a shopping cart. these drivers are asking the same question.why no deployment? i think the manufactures are letting takata take the blame. who is making the airbag systems now? i would like to know how many ram trucks have been involved in crashes and no deployment has happened.. From 2002 to 2018 i would like to know.
I just about totaled myself on that wreck broken neck & ribs + the idiot that was hired to find why airbags didn't work said well no party was responsible ant the computer would only report if the airbag opened. so yes im a little pissed actually im really pissed .
PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR NTHOUGHTS

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TO; fitz87gn glad you got airbags done call the dealer ask for service mgr. ask him what test was ran to see if airbags would work and what sequense has to happen for deployment? THANKS RICH

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Rich, I agree. Hate to hear another story like yours. You know the issue and answer. The dealer is in the middle. They replace what is sent to them,,,we hope. Small bright spot. In one of the lawsuits brought against Honda by a owner. Airbag replaced, but failed to deploy in accident. Honda explained that all manufactures were in the same boat. The plaintiffs were able to show the court that Honda could have gone to another company for replacement airbags. Two other company's offered to provide "model spec" replacements. Court awarded punitive damages based on what Honda could and should have done. The internet is full of these cases and story's.

Richard Schmale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I respect your point. My 03 and 07 got done in half a day. BTW, hope never to know if they actually work.
DID you get a recall for explosive inflator module there were 2 recalls for my 2008, one for drivers side and the was for passenger side. my repair was around an hour.