Use Blank Switches on Interior Switch Panel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you use the blank switches on the interior switch panel? I have a Laramie, so heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, tow switch, etc. There are a few blanks on there and I would like to use one for some aftermarket lighting. Is this something easily done?

I know one option is to add the Aux Switch panel and control all the climate stuff from the touch screen, but I'd really like to keep the switches.

Is this doable?
Has anyone ever done this?
Are the necessary electronics behind the blank or would have I have to add them?
If so, where do I find the output in the harness?

This is what I have (minus the parking sensors):

968b318e77db7c93a0021fb7a55196f1.jpg

MuleDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a ‘14 Ram with the 5.7 hemi and I want to know as far as amps, is there a stock amp in all the hemis? I’m asking due to I have amp fuse in the fuse box & if there is an amp where in the truck would it be located? Also 2nd part... if I plug in a sub to the sub wire under the rear passenger seat will my stock radio (not alpine) work with it? Plug & play type stuff

OP
OP
Ic3scrap3r

Ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a ‘14 Ram with the 5.7 hemi and I want to know as far as amps, is there a stock amp in all the hemis? I’m asking due to I have amp fuse in the fuse box & if there is an amp where in the truck would it be located? Also 2nd part... if I plug in a sub to the sub wire under the rear passenger seat will my stock radio (not alpine) work with it? Plug & play type stuff

I don't know the answer to your question, but you would probably get more responses if you created a new thread for this.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Short answer.. No, you cannot use them.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can you use the blank switches on the interior switch panel? I have a Laramie, so heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, tow switch, etc. There are a few blanks on there and I would like to use one for some aftermarket lighting. Is this something easily done?

I know one option is to add the Aux Switch panel and control all the climate stuff from the touch screen, but I'd really like to keep the switches.

Is this doable?
Has anyone ever done this?
Are the necessary electronics behind the blank or would have I have to add them?
If so, where do I find the output in the harness?

This is what I have (minus the parking sensors):

968b318e77db7c93a0021fb7a55196f1.jpg

I can confirm the switches are 100% behind the blanks, I recently purchased one like the one pictured and disassembled my factory (stability/tow only) to pull the blanks needed to eliminate the parking sensor switches and verified the switches are all there behind the blanks

OP
OP
Ic3scrap3r

Ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can confirm the switches are 100% behind the blanks, I recently purchased one like the one pictured and disassembled my factory (stability/tow only) to pull the blanks needed to eliminate the parking sensor switches and verified the switches are all there behind the blanks

Thanks, that's great info to have. Now I'll just need to determine if the pins are in the plug I have or not. If the pins are there, I just need to find where the other end of the circuit for whichever switch I choose to use is in the harness. To avoid hacking up the harness, I'd find the factory plug for say, the parking sensor switch, buy the corresponding other plug and wire that into my light relay. It'd be neat and tidy inside the truck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks, that's great info to have. Now I'll just need to determine if the pins are in the plug I have or not. If the pins are there, I just need to find where the other end of the circuit for whichever switch I choose to use is in the harness. To avoid hacking up the harness, I'd find the factory plug for say, the parking sensor switch, buy the corresponding other plug and wire that into my light relay. It'd be neat and tidy inside the truck.

It's not that simple. Many smart people have looked into this and I don't know of anyone that has added a switch to that panel. The only way is to replace it with a Aux switch style panel. (what I did)
I'm not at home so don't have my diagrams handy but I believe all of those "switches" on a standard panel are all LIN bus switches so you cannot just use them to control a relay. There are not individual circuits for each of those buttons.
I'll try to get the diagrams later to show you but I think you are wasting your time.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here is the pinout for the switch connector. Like I said it's all LIN bus controlled with the exception of "AUX" switches if you have them. You cannot just use a blank switch, it doesn't work that way.

switch.jpg

OP
OP
Ic3scrap3r

Ic3scrap3r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang. That's great information, but bad for my plans! I really appreciate you sharing it though. I had no idea it was LIN Bus controlled.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Out of curiosity, is the position the red arrow is pointing to a rocker switch in some RAM models?

RAM Instrument Panel Switches.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Someone made Youtube videos about things he has done to his switch panel, he shows it in detail, i did a quick search, but i did not find it

a 2nd thing that i found in my search
Is a switch panel that sits nicely in the cubby above the radio

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Out of curiosity, is the position the red arrow is pointing to a rocker switch in some RAM models?

View attachment 470408
Not that I've ever seen. It's just a spacer between the buttons and the trailer brake control slider, gives room for your finger to use the slider without risking hitting a button by accident.

-K