Using older version bed lights 2020 Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I was going to add the OEM bed lights to my 2020 Ram 1500 Tradesman Quad Cab.

The ‘new’ ones with the built-in button were a longer lead-time so I ordered the older kit (82214870AB-001).

It was less expensive than the new kit (version AC) and only has two wires running forward in the harness - a ground and a power wire.

Ground goes to a point under the hood as the newer one does, the remaining wire goes into the BCM connector C1/5 as well...

I pulled out my wiring diagrams and it looks like the third wire in the new kit is for the button (on the new version driver side light)... after checking the diagram I wasn’t worried about having the old lights and only two wires.

Finished the installation and using AlfaOBD I just went into Car Configuration Change, then found the 2014 CBC Feature for bed lighting and activated it.

Works great! Lights work when I hit the unlock button on the remote, and also when I push the bed light button under the headlight switch.

Hardest part was standing on my head to work on the BCM connector [emoji2959]...but I’ve done that before for other mods.

NOTE: if you examine the installation directions for both the old and the new kits there is a difference on the illustration of C1 connector pinout which I’m sure is a typo on one of them...

It’s easily enough rectified once you pull the C1 connector apart; on the black plastic on one side you have Pin 1 labeled... just count up to Pin 5 and you’ve found the right one.

Some vehicles may have that spot already occupied by a light brown wire with a white tracer...mine was that way; I just went up a couple of inches and used a Posi-Tap to splice the bed light power wire in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jfig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
HI, just read your post about adding OEM bed lights, I purchased the 82215272AC for my 2019 Ram 1500. I have the OBDLink and security harness and having a hard time getting them to work. You mention pinning c1/5 how about C7/16? is there anything else that has to be done to activate the lights?
Thanks for any help you can give me.