V6 worth the reduced price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just got a brand new regular cab v6 discounted 8k bc it was a 14. No complaints but the truck is lighter obviously.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP,

I know exactly how you felt about testing a 5.7L/3.21. I gave it try, and I was let down on the test drive.
next time around its gonna be a 6.4L/3.73 or a 5.7L/3.92 hands down...

Spend your money how you want. You work hard for what you have. If you really want to be back in a truck again just get the V8. Do not make a purchase that is gonna make you happy for a month, and then regret it. Going from a V8 mustang I assume, to a V6 1/2 ton truck is gonna drive you insane.

I miss my truck... I decided to get rid of my truck for a V6 charger for financial reasons. ( Wedding Savings, Debt Reduction, House Savings ). The V6 charger is pretty quick, and fun to drive. It is awesome on gas, but I miss the V8 power / utility of a truck. Im gonna lose my mind this winter without 4x4 at least available. I am looking at this as a short term sacrifice for a long term goal at the moment. Even my fiance' wants me to have a truck again, cause she misses it lol. So around fall of 16' we will be looking for a crew cab truck.

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO, there is a big financial difference between needing and wanting here. Don't just get a truck if you want it. Nothing wrong with holding on to the Mustang if it hasn't given you any problems. That milage is nothing.

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
*Bilstein 2.8" front, Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer, Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit, Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers, Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4),fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats, 2-12" aline subs (swe -1243), 500 watt alpine mono sub, LED 3rd tail light smoked, Spyder LED smokes tail lights

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't do the V6 IMO. I tried that one time in attempt to save $ on a regular cab chevy that was just going to be a daily driver commuter. I hated it so bad I traded it in within 3 months and will never buy a V6 truck ever again, not ecoboost, not econo diesel, nada.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Don't do the V6 IMO. I tried that one time in attempt to save $ on a regular cab chevy that was just going to be a daily driver commuter. I hated it so bad I traded it in within 3 months and will never buy a V6 truck ever again, not ecoboost, not econo diesel, nada.
Suit yourself. You're missing out. The Pentastar's 305 horses are sweet, and with Hemi-like torque, the ecodiesel is even sweeter.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't see how anyone can be underwhelmed with the Hemi 3.21 combo especially when shopping the V6. I just romped on mine to get ahead of traffic and it gets to speed very quickly. The 3.92's would be better but mainly rap out faster. I would get the Hemi 8speed no questions asked. Pony up, it makes very little difference payment wise.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a v6 . It isn't the old 3.9 or 3.7. I tow with it several times a week and it does everything just fine.

My 2000 Chebby had a 285 HP / 325 TQ 5.3 V-8

It was a helluva improvement over the 95 w/4.3. 165 HP / 235 TQ

The Penta comes in at 305 HP / 269 TQ. It's not 'dead' by any means. Combine that with an 8 speed and it's more capable than a lot give it credit for.

But,, it all depends on what you like/what's important to you/how big a hurry your in.

(I thought) I was in a helluva hurry years ago. Today??? Nope. :)

Last edited:

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
dont be the guy who buys a fullsize truck and sticks it with a v6

i had a 4.0v6 in my compact truck before going full size

v6 = compact truck
v8 = full size

common dont be "that guy"

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
dont be the guy who buys a fullsize truck and sticks it with a v6

i had a 4.0v6 in my compact truck before going full size

v6 = compact truck
v8 = full size

common dont be "that guy"

That guy that gets better fuel economy and can haul and tow just fine when I need to? Yes please. I'll happily be that guy. :)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
5 years ago, people were buying V8 trucks with the same HP that the current V6's are pushing.

If someone has done their homework and a properly equipped V6 model suits their needs, I do not see what the problem is?

To much chastising on truck boards nowadays with V8 guys slamming the V6 guys and the larger V8 guys slamming the smaller V8 guys with the Diesel guys standing on the high ground slamming everybody else.

Regardless of what you buy now, these current trucks are way better than the ones built 5 or even 10+ years ago.

Last edited:

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about getting back into a Ram as my mustang is almost out of warranty(32,000 miles) and an extended warranty is going to cost me about $2600. However, I'm in sticker shock at how expensive these trucks have gotten in the 3 years since I bought my 2012. I'm seeing 2wd lonestar stickering for $42k, mind you my 2012 lonestar crew was a hair over $36k, and the only differences are the 8 speed and the premium group($600 option).

Now I do qualify for a decent discount being a dealership employee, but I'm still trying to find ways to cut costs. My main one is going to a quad cab, loved my regular cab as it was perfect size but I wanna keep a back seat just in case and my crew was way too big; however that still puts me around $38k for a lonestar 2wd hemi.

My second cost cutting option is sticking with the pentastar v6, but I just don't know if it's worth the reduced cost. Of course the 25 mpg EPA rating appeals to me as I drive 80 miles a day for work but I know I will never hit that as my commute is hilly and I feel the truck will struggle greatly. For reference, my mustang is rated at 25 highway but I average 21-22. Also, I do not like the lack of gear ratio options.

For those with the Pentastar V6, do you feel like it is an adequate motor for commuting and worth the window sticker savings over the hemi?

I have owned my 2015 Laramie 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the pentastar since February. It is fantastic!!!! The best aspect of my truck - and it is loaded with Ramboxes and air suspension - is the pentastar! As a matter of fact my truck was ordered from the factory specifically so I could get the pentastar with the 3.55 gears and the 8 speed automatic. I get great mileage - plenty of power - great acceleration - and easy maintenance. One note I had a dual exhaust put on and the truck sounds better than the Hemi!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have owned my 2015 Laramie 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the pentastar since February. It is fantastic!!!! The best aspect of my truck - and it is loaded with Ramboxes and air suspension - is the pentastar! As a matter of fact my truck was ordered from the factory specifically so I could get the pentastar with the 3.55 gears and the 8 speed automatic. I get great mileage - plenty of power - great acceleration - and easy maintenance. One note I had a dual exhaust put on and the truck sounds better than the Hemi!
I was with you there until that last sentence...

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At this point I'm leaning towards the hemi, but I still need to find time to test drive the hemi/3.92 combo and the v6. I had considered the ecodiesel for a brief second until I realized the maintenance costs. Hemi oil changes at work are $15 discounted, and I believe ED oil changes are still $100+ even after discount.

Mainly just focusing on trim level and driveline now. While I love the idea of having a lonestar 4x4 quad hemi with every option, I just can't fathom mid $40s. Kinda thinking black out express 4x2, or spend a couple grand more and get the 4x4 so I have it in case I need it, and I can grow into it.

My biggest concern is getting something that works now, but being forced out of it in a couple years due to possible changes in life(family, different job, etc).

Last edited:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2 years ago, my son sold his 1993 Carolla. The A/C could have used a recharge, but it still worked. It quit working at some time, while we had it. I did the $25 Autozone Do It Yourself recharge. That lasted for years. A/C doesn't go out that often anymore. Your car is just now broken in. Extended warranties are the biggest rip off known to man. It's usually 100% profit for the dealer. Now surely, some one will chime in and say how it saved their life. But that is by far the exception, not the norm.

If you want a new vehicle every 3 years, bend over. That's life.

My Performance Pac V6 Mustang runs circles around my truck. See mods below. Power to weight. You can't beat physics.

The guy that bought a Pentastar then replaced the exhaust could have had a Hemi for that money. And yes, a V6 can be made to sound very good, if you choose the correct components.

I'm a big Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard fan. I will not, under any circumstances, beyond life and death, borrow money.

Drive em both. But which ever engine or tranny get the 3.92 final gears. <That is A LOT! Gears. Because you can't beat physics.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At this point I'm leaning towards the hemi, but I still need to find time to test drive the hemi/3.92 combo and the v6. I had considered the ecodiesel for a brief second until I realized the maintenance costs. Hemi oil changes at work are $15 discounted, and I believe ED oil changes are still $100+ even after discount.

Mainly just focusing on trim level and driveline now. While I love the idea of having a lonestar 4x4 quad hemi with every option, I just can't fathom mid $40s. Kinda thinking black out express 4x2, or spend a couple grand more and get the 4x4 so I have it in case I need it, and I can grow into it.

My biggest concern is getting something that works now, but being forced out of it in a couple years due to possible changes in life(family, different job, etc).

If I was 20 years old I would without a doubt get the hemi, but at my age the Pentastar does me just fine.