Vacuum Motor Arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidInJackson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
First and foremost let me say thank you to any and all that might be able to give me some guidance and direction on these 2 issues...I have searched for answers, but either I am using the wrong key words or descriptions...

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with 184K miles on it...with the 5.2 V8...since buying this with 99K miles on it, I have had to replace both the main computer as well as the transmission computer, but I love the truck and want to hold onto it...

My two issues are (newest first)...

1. All of a sudden I only get air from the dashboard...nothing from the vents...I poked around on here and the web, and I don't be believe it is a blend door issue (which I currently have with a Ford F150, but that's another story), and I have no problem going between heat and A/C (with the exception noted below)...I was looking around under the dash, on both the driver and passenger side (with the glove box removed) and I found two of the following devices:

ram%20vent.jpg

I found the if I force this part to open the door it is connected to, I get air out of the dash vents. I tried to find the part online, but I only seem to find old parts, and I can't seem to find a similar item at any of the part houses. I did find finally find a reference to it in the Haynes manual, which called it a "vacuum motor arm"...based on the description, I am assuming it works of a vacuum system, which could also have something to do with item #2, which I have had since day 1...

2. While the A/C works great, it will, and it doesn't matter if I am moving along the road, or at a stop, the A/C will literally go from A/C to heat...I can hear the door close behind the dash...If I turn the A/C off, wait a minute, and then turn it back on, it will work for a bit, then do this again...

I am beginning to wonder if I have a larger vacuum issue as the Cruise Control only works intermittently as well...sometimes it will work for a while, and sometimes it won't come on at all...

I don't really care about the Cruise Control, but I would like to get the vent issue fixed, with the A/C issue after...but as I can't seem to properly identify the part above, I am not sure how to proceed...

Sorry if this is long winded...