Vararam Intake Comparison Dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Last week Vararam had a local truck on the dyno, and we decided to do an intake comparison. This particular truck is a 2012 that had a Legmaker short ram intake, Vararam longtube headers, Flowmaster muffler, and Hemifever tune. The baseline pull with this setup made 344hp.

5 minutes later, we swapped out the Legmaker intake for a Vararam and made another pull. This pull yielded 360hp. That is a peak hp gain of 16hp, but what is amazing about this comparison is that the Vararam made more than 30hp over the Legmaker in the mid range.

Also, take a look at the air/fuel ratio at the bottom. The Vararam had a much leaner air/fuel at the top end of the pull. This verifies that the Vararam is pulling in a lot more air.

Many guys have doubted their 30hp claims, and this sheet is hard proof. I have seen the Vararam intake drop .4 seconds of 1/4 mile times, but this was the first time I have been part of having 1 on the dyno. I am very impressed.

(Vararam numbers are Green and Legmaker is Blue)

SCAN0034_zps91d369b5.jpg

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is awesome... some more proof that vararam is a great cai

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shoulda put an 87mm TB on it, just to see what it'd do. But that's some impressive gains.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
those are some great numbers.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
So would a stock truck see the same gains?

Absolutely. I have seen stock trucks drop between .3 and .4 off their 1/4 mile times with just the Vararam intake. I have not had a stock truck on the dyno with 1 yet, but the real world street performance gains are definitely there. Vararam is the only intake that actually forces air into the motor which is why it has proven to be the top performer.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for the info provided, I wonder what gains can be seen with an 87mm Throttle body with the Vararam and a custom tune?

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
With a Vararam, 87mm TB, and Hemifever 93 octane tune, I would expect to see a gain of about 45-50hp at the wheels and almost a full second off your 1/4 mile time. These trucks respond very well to the correct mods. Both TylerB and greychevy have dropped close to 2 seconds off their 1/4 mile times with just bolt ons, a tq converter, and a tuner. The trucks definitely have a lot of potential.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Nice, can't wait for those mods on my truck.

Any bundle pricing for the Trinity and 87mm TB mods Moe's? :D

Last edited:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad to see this. I think this will be the next mod after my lift and 35" wheels.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The Vararam is normally $369, but we have them marked down to $344 with free shipping. We have all colors in stock (Hemi Orange, Black Smooth, and Black Textured) for all 09-14 Ram Hemi trucks.

As for K&N, it is very similar to the Legmaker, Airaid, and AFE kits. They are simply a tube with a filter. There is nothing else there to direct cold air to the filter or prevent the intake from sucking up engine heat. I have not put a K&N on the dyno, but it did not do well in our track test comparison last year. It was .1 faster than the stock setup, but nowhere close to what we saw from Vararam and even S&B. K&N is a big name with a nice filter, but the true performance gains just aren't there on the Hemi kits.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
About the results I'd expect based on the more ram-air type of intake. I'm still curious to see the difference, if any, at low speeds. I know with my ram air hood I'd start seeing gains at about 100km/h, which is pretty close to what you see on that dyno.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Vararam is normally $369, but we have them marked down to $344 with free shipping. We have all colors in stock (Hemi Orange, Black Smooth, and Black Textured) for all 09-14 Ram Hemi trucks.

As for K&N, it is very similar to the Legmaker, Airaid, and AFE kits. They are simply a tube with a filter. There is nothing else there to direct cold air to the filter or prevent the intake from sucking up engine heat. I have not put a K&N on the dyno, but it did not do well in our track test comparison last year. It was .1 faster than the stock setup, but nowhere close to what we saw from Vararam and even S&B. K&N is a big name with a nice filter, but the true performance gains just aren't there on the Hemi kits.

Do the Vararam's seal well against the sport hoods?

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
About the results I'd expect based on the more ram-air type of intake. I'm still curious to see the difference, if any, at low speeds. I know with my ram air hood I'd start seeing gains at about 100km/h, which is pretty close to what you see on that dyno.

This truck was sitting still on the dyno with nothing more than a standard fan in front of it. The results would be even higher if we could simulate the amount of air being forced in at 60-80mph with the Vararam.

We did another comparison test as well to see how the LMI would perform with the hood closed...it lost 9hp between having the hood open with the fan in front to having the hood closed with the fan in front. There just isn't anything there to direct air to the filter, so it is choked off and sucking in engine heat. I am a big fan of the LMI mid tube, but the Ram intake just is not ideal. I am even running an LMI on my 2013 Jeep. Great quality parts and they look awesome...its just not my choice of intakes for the Ram trucks.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Do the Vararam's seal well against the sport hoods?

As long as you specify the correct year of the truck, we will supply the correct wing and lower coupler to make sure it seals correctly. We have had a few customers that did not get a good seal due to the liner barely making contact with the underhood light though. We simply adjusted how the airbox was seated in the coupler, and it gave us the 1/2" clearance that was needed to clear.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How will the Air Shutters affect the intake?