Vararam Pre Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What’s everyone’s method of cleaning the Vararam filter? I have yet to clean mine and now with the pre filter it’s still basically clean. I’ve cleaned K&N filters in the past but they were panel filters and easily fit in the kitchen sink...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What’s everyone’s method of cleaning the Vararam filter? I have yet to clean mine and now with the pre filter it’s still basically clean. I’ve cleaned K&N filters in the past but they were panel filters and easily fit in the kitchen sink...

I clean it just like a I would a big round/oval K&N. Hit it with the power clean crap, water hose until it runs clear, let it air dry for a while, and then re-oil it and let it sit for at-least 2 hours to wick. I've gotta say so far with the preflilter it looks like I'm going to be cleaning it ALOT less than I was. So far I've just been able to dust off the prefilter with a damp microfiber and all the crap sitting on it comes right off.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the Green cleaner kit, even though I have a supply of K&N product. Mine wasnt all that dirty, but given my climate and install after the big pollen drop, it shouldn't have been. I just gently tapped out the insects/debris when I put on the prefilter. Maybe I will do it Saturday.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ordered a second Outerwears for my second Air Grabber filter. Now when I swap them out to clean, I have a fully ready to go wrapped filter[emoji106]

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the only real question left is the effect on performance. I know at the track you just take the filter out but on the street?????? If it reduces the air flow at all it has to have some effect but I would guess very small--sure is a great addition though.
Jay

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Came out this morning to clean my filter after the rains we had this week, thank goodness for Outerwears!

IMG_20190922_105733.jpg

IMG_20190922_105729.jpg

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice!!

Did anything make it past the filter or did it all get caught in the pre filter?

I didn't see anything at all on the cotton itself. There was pretty heavy dust on the black plastic in the "V's" between the cotton. BUT, if I remember correctly, I did NOT clean the filter before putting the prefilter on. So it was most likely there before and that was my fault. I did notice a lot of sand/light colored dust on the tray where the filter sits, all the way around the filter. I used a shop vac to get as much as I could. I believe it is coming from all of the highway construction I drive through daily. So now that it's all clean and back together I'll pay attention next time I clean it. But the prefilter seems to be doing an excellent job. I still need to order another filter and prefilter lol.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't see anything at all on the cotton itself. There was pretty heavy dust on the black plastic in the "V's" between the cotton. BUT, if I remember correctly, I did NOT clean the filter before putting the prefilter on. So it was most likely there before and that was my fault. I did notice a lot of sand/light colored dust on the tray where the filter sits, all the way around the filter. I used a shop vac to get as much as I could. I believe it is coming from all of the highway construction I drive through daily. So now that it's all clean and back together I'll pay attention next time I clean it. But the prefilter seems to be doing an excellent job. I still need to order another filter and prefilter lol.

Nice so it sounds like the Outerwears is doing its job. Did you see any dust on the base of the Air Grabber?

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice so it sounds like the Outerwears is doing its job. Did you see any dust on the base of the Air Grabber?

Not sure of the terminology, but if the air grabber is the hard plastic the filter mounts on, yes, there was a lot of fine dust.

Neon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone running an orange pre with orange lid?
Love to see a pic if possible?

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do these hold up against snow... Im debating switching to one from the S&B

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members