Very low profile bed slide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Anyone know of a bed slide that has a 2.25” profile or less? Either that or a fridge/freezer combo with a decent capacity and with a height of no more than 16”. Thanks.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Um, Nope. Just replaced my small 2016 RV refrigerator Norcold N306R. It's bigger than 16" wide, tall, and long. It doesn't have a decent capacity. I used it below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, above 4,000 feet altitude (live at 6,000), and above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. All three invalidated the warranties.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Um, Nope. Just replaced my small 2016 RV refrigerator Norcold N306R. It's bigger than 16" wide, tall, and long. It doesn't have a decent capacity. I used it below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, above 4,000 feet altitude (live at 6,000), and above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. All three invalidated the warranties.
Man, with warranty restrictions like that you might as well just keep it at home. Oh, wait, you live at 6Kft so you can’t even do that.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Prior to replacement I searched around and found another brand other than Norcold. Unfortunately, the other brand (Dometic) has a circuit board which whether or not the refrigerator is running or not it's drawing amperage 24/7. It's designed for plugging into 115V A/C. It would zap the power down on my two deep cycle batteries too quickly. We dry camp and so I purchased another Norcold. Worked great in Iowa, but not so much in Colorado. Since there is less atmospheric pressure here the issue is getting enough oxygen to the unit when it's on the road at our elevation. Built a chimney to keep the flame from blowing out which works excellent in Iowa, but not as reliable here. It's our large variance (diurnal) between the low and high temperatures during the day that's also a problem for it. It can be below freezing in the morning and into the 80's in the afternoon. It can't cope with the 50 degrees change. With the average elevation in Colorado of around 6,800 feet there's little going lower due to I already live below the average. We use the refrigerator for drinks and an ice cooler for food. Can't depend on the refrigerator working.

http://forum.rvusa.com/threads/warning-to-norcold-customers.3145/

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaSickSailor

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I’m leaning towards the Dometic or an ARB. I’ll have two batteries as well but don’t normally camp in one place more than a day, two at the most. I’ll probably get a solar system to keep it on a trickle charge when camped.

TexasTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
None
I’m leaning towards the Dometic or an ARB. I’ll have two batteries as well but don’t normally camp in one place more than a day, two at the most. I’ll probably get a solar system to keep it on a trickle charge when camped.

We installed a Dometic cfx95dzw with slide in my buddy's Tundra along with a dual Odyssey batteries and the Genesis isolater, pretty sweet setup. Worked flawlessly on our week long camping trip from TX to NC. Both batteries power the accessories when the truck is off, then when your starting battery gets to 12.7v it isolates, and just uses the second battery. Then both charge while driving. We never did measure the height of it, I'd ask him, but he doesn't leave it in all the time.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
The Engel 34 qt (Engel Platinum MT35F-U1 AC/DC Fridge/Freezer) is 16 inches tall. Assuming you are looking for a 12v compressor type fridge, not a RV or propane type fridge. Engel is a quality brand, but they are not cheap, probably on par with ARB, Norcold 12v compressor type fridge/freezer. I bet ARB/norcold/etc have similar options.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Prior to replacement I searched around and found another brand other than Norcold. Unfortunately, the other brand (Dometic) has a circuit board which whether or not the refrigerator is running or not it's drawing amperage 24/7. It's designed for plugging into 115V A/C. It would zap the power down on my two deep cycle batteries too quickly. We dry camp and so I purchased another Norcold. Worked great in Iowa, but not so much in Colorado. Since there is less atmospheric pressure here the issue is getting enough oxygen to the unit when it's on the road at our elevation. Built a chimney to keep the flame from blowing out which works excellent in Iowa, but not as reliable here. It's our large variance (diurnal) between the low and high temperatures during the day that's also a problem for it. It can be below freezing in the morning and into the 80's in the afternoon. It can't cope with the 50 degrees change. With the average elevation in Colorado of around 6,800 feet there's little going lower due to I already live below the average. We use the refrigerator for drinks and an ice cooler for food. Can't depend on the refrigerator working.

http://forum.rvusa.com/threads/warning-to-norcold-customers.3145/
I have seen the beer commercials right out of the ice cold water of the Rockies, no refrigerator needed !! Haha

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have seen the beer commercials right out of the ice cold water of the Rockies, no refrigerator needed !! Haha
True one can get ice cold Coors beer most anywhere pulled right out of the Rocky Mountain water. Use to be many moons ago illegal to sell it east of the Mississippi River without a permit.

With a decent capacity frig/freezer combo hidden under a very low profile bed slide in their 392 cubic inch 410 HP Ram Power Wagon one could have made a mint with such a pickup back in 1977 transporting ice cold Coors from Texas to Georgia! Unfortunately, in 1977 using the latest model Pontiac Trans Am equipped with the 400 cubic inch high performance engine as seen in the Smokey and the Bandit movie it was all show and no go. With just 200 HP it could maintain the 55 MPH Speed Limit on the steeper grades, but without enough space available for a decent sized frig.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 50 qt. ARB fridge/freezer on an ARB slide out tray. I have a dual AGM battery setup in my Jeep. I had the fridge on the entire trip from Detroit to Moab. Jeep engine off. It took about 3 days to drive out there. Jeep fired right up and fridge temp was 28*.
Here is a newcomer, at least to me, that has been getting some press lately...
https://www.costway.com/54-quarts-portable-electric-car-cooler-refrigerator.html
I have no personal knowledge of this fridge. Much cheaper than ARB. Will it work as well or last as long??? Who knows?

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also...Wire the fridge directly to the battery. Fused of course. Use a 10-12 gauge wire for better results, lower temps and less voltage drop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo