Vvt 16 hemi 5.7 into 08 ram no vvt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m installing a 16 vvt engine in my truck .
it’s an 08 5.7 non vvt . Can I do this without major issues? Thank you all in advance!!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Without major issues? No lol.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’m installing a 16 vvt engine in my truck .
it’s an 08 5.7 non vvt . Can I do this without major issues? Thank you all in advance!!
Man, I hope you did some serious research before deciding to move forward with this.

The first thing: What engine management system did you decide to go with? Stock PCM, Holley, Fuel Tech, etc.?

I'll leave it at that because if you don't have that question answered then you may want to put the brakes on the whole project before you get so deep into your wallet.

OP
OP
G

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are right total nightmare! I would need to lock out the vvt on cam sprocket.
And remove crank and change

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are right total nightmare! I would need to lock out the vvt on cam sprocket.
And remove crank and change
Just the tip of the iceberg.
- Completely different accessory drive, would require rerouting all your existing stuff (wiring and A/C hoses)
- Your stock intake manifold has different port size than the newer engine would have; if you wanted to use the newer manifold (depending which manifold, car or truck) you'd have to reroute the accessory drive anyway to delete the clutch fan and install an electric one
- If it is the truck manifold then you need to run wiring and install an rpm switch to activate the runners
- Etc, etc
All to gain 30-50 crank hp which you could do installing the right cam with matched custom tuning in your original engine. What was the driver for this? Blow yours up or just thought this would be an easy way to get more power?

OP
OP
G

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything is worked out . Except the tone wheel . Need to check the tooth count . The front cover is different but with some a/c line work should be ok .
The p/s pump bolts on just a up a bit from stock location. Clutch fan from 16 in place. Upper radiator hose a bit different.
It’s a16 truck motor . Mine did give up and I was able to get this engine thought it’s a hemi Im good to go ! Well with a little extra work should be a good running truck again. I’ll keep you guys posted on my progress. Thank you again for the help and advice!!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How were you planning on running the VVT? Or were you gonna lock the phaser?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
im lo cking the ophaser because i like batttlestar glactica

OP
OP
G

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the lock up kit coming. Also manifold runner gizmo and wiring harness adapter for throttle body. Trying to see if anyway possible not to change the tone wheel from 58 to 32 .

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, you're kinda f@cked on that one unless you can make a 4th gen PCM work in your truck. I'm interested to see if this project gets seen through to its logical conclusion, because much more often than not someone says they're gonna do it, then figure out they're over their head either technically or financially lol.

OP
OP
G

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not being rude but can you clear up the fog here for me?

will the engine not run on a 08 computer
After the tone ring in changed out with locked out vvt ?

thank you in advance for taking time here

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You said:
Trying to see if anyway possible not to change the tone wheel from 58 to 32 .
Which is why I said:
No, you're kinda f@cked on that one unless you can make a 4th gen PCM work in your truck.
Which you can't without an adapter harness, which Hotwireauto can provide. They do it for the LX platform all the time. More of a straightforward swap for the cars because pre-eagle and eagle engines were installed within the same body style run, so there are enough things similar or the same to make it fairly easy.
You're already planning to swap tone ring and lock phaser, so you're good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Greyram08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the solid advice! Appreciate it very much! Hopefully this will all work out here in the next few weeks . I will add to this later as it develops !