Warranty coverage of brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwcengland03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have a 2016 2500 Laramie 6.4l with about 51k. Couple days ago it sounds like a front caliper is stuck or dragging constantly at low speeds. Have an appointment at the stealership next week. I have the 5yr unlimited mileage warranty so wondering if I have a fighting chance of getting any of this work covered? I haven’t even had to replace any pads and my last service report shows that the brakes were fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
This is identical to what I just went through. I never even began to imagine the dealer would cover this so I replaced them myself. I have a thread with a comprehensive write up on it and the parts I used. Check it out for more detail. Good luck and report back what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I believe the mechanical components are covered (calipers, seals, hoses, etc) but the pads are not. My 2000 Ram blew a seal and my brakes went to the floor. Scary part is I was backing up to hook up my boat, so I'm glad it didn't wait until I got down the road, but the dealer actually paid to tow my truck in and fixed it under warranty.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC pads and rotors are not covered. There is a thread around here somewhere where someone questioned what should be covered (if a caliper hangs and takes out a rotor and pads, are they covered because a covered part caused them to break?), not sure where it ended up.

OP
OP
D

Dwcengland03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the replies. I just moved to a new state so having to deal with a new dealer for the first time as well. I will let you know how I make out next week when it finally goes in. I would hope that some of the parts/labor will be covered as it’s not really expected for a full brake replacement at 50k when others seem to get at least double the service life and I have only towed for 10% of the 50k. The down side is that I do live in the northeast so old man winter and salt are a possible factor.

OP
OP
D

Dwcengland03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just got back from the dealership. Turns out I need new front bearing hubs and upper ball joints. Keep in mind I just had not upper and lower ball joints replaced 10k miles ago. Is it common for these trucks to eat through ball joints and bearings?

They ‘suggested’ I replace my rotors and pads but calipers all looked ok except for suggesting lubricating the slide pins. Will be looking at the brake write ups shortly to figure out parts.

Very fortunate I have the max care on this truck otherwise would have been another 2k down the drain. Stuck in a Dodge Journey (rental) for the week and missing the truck already.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just got back from the dealership. Turns out I need new front bearing hubs and upper ball joints. Keep in mind I just had not upper and lower ball joints replaced 10k miles ago. Is it common for these trucks to eat through ball joints and bearings?

They ‘suggested’ I replace my rotors and pads but calipers all looked ok except for suggesting lubricating the slide pins. Will be looking at the brake write ups shortly to figure out parts.

Very fortunate I have the max care on this truck otherwise would have been another 2k down the drain. Stuck in a Dodge Journey (rental) for the week and missing the truck already.

Is Iifted or have big wide tires? I'm at 76000+ and all my stuff is fine.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is it common for these trucks to eat through ball joints and bearings?

They ‘suggested’ I replace my rotors and pads

No, it is unusual based on posting through the various RAM forums with respect to a stock truck.

There are a few brake kit solutions that include rotors and pads designed to work together. One of them is Power Stop, they now make four corner kits for the HD's. I put a set on my 3500 in the spring of this year, unhappy with the performance of the factory pads/rotors, no complaints with the Power Stops.

HEMIsphere05

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L cummins
Had a 2016 with 33k miles on it last year still under warranty. Brakes and components are only covered for 12 months from date of purchase.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just turned over 70,000 miles on my Ram 3500. I’ve had a sticking caliper for a while, and the dealership told me the warranty didn’t cover seized calipers due to rust. I was wondering how else a caliper could fail. The warranty says calipers are covered (but not for rust, I guess).

$600 later and I get much better MPG’s.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Welcome to the **** factory brakes failing club, my 16’s brakes were trashed at 36k, I could write a mile long post about that...
0de54adb92cc9e0afc4967c2f15ccc09.jpg

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
At late May at 18K mine developed a brake vibration. Put up with it until 3 weeks ago when I replaced all rotors and pads. Went with O’Reilly Auto parts rotors and PFC pads. The rears rotors were trashed with the right rear having a rusty chunk taken out of the inside similar to IPFM1990’s above. Not happy about the poor quality of rotors but now I fixed it. Just glad I can do this myself and not pay someone to do it.