was about to click buy - Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think perhaps JR may be measuring in Canadian too. 83k in Canadian isn't as far as 83k in American.

I suspect such because the "83000k", likely means 83000 kilometers. If he was using the k to abbreviate for -thousands-, of miles, the k would indicate 83,000,000 miles! ;)

Last edited:

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
My test platform for tires was a ‘13 F150 crew cab 4x4, so similar size and weight to Ram 1500. I went through 4 sets of tires over 200,000 miles here in Colorado. Some stock crap, Duratrac 275/65/18 E load range, Michelin LTX M/S 275/65/18 load range SL, Duratrac 275/65/18 E.

Comparing the Duratrac to the Michelin, the Michelin was quieter and rode smoother, probably due to load range SL. The duratrac got better traction everywhere, wore excellent, but needed rotated regularly (I do every 10K miles). They are not whisper quiet, but the sound deadening in modern trucks makes that a mute point.

As was stated earlier, look at the load rating of the tires you plan to buy. I’ve heard too many bad stories about the SL and C load range Duratracs. But they have different build quality. The load range E tires are solid. As an example, I was on the highway in Denver when my low tire pressure warning light came on. But I was late for a meeting in Cheyenne Wy (2 hours away), so I checked pressure (28 PSI) and rolled on. I made it to Cheyenne, went to my meeting, then headed to Discount tire. The tire pressure when I got there was about 20psi. They pulled the shank of a full size screwdriver out of the tread of my tire, which had been flopping around in there for 150 miles, and I only lost 25psi of pressure. Repaired the tire and I ran another 25K miles without issue. The E range Duratracs are solid tires.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I came to that same conclusion Thorny.

I was trying to decide between 33 12.50r20 vs 305 55r20 duratracs.

Both are load range E, but the 33s are 114q, and the 305s are 121q.

So, even though both are E tires, the 33s are rated at 2600lbs per tire, and the 305s are rated for 3197lbs er tire.

So, even though both the 33s and 305s are E load range tires, and even though they are nearly the exact same size, the 305s have a significantly stiffer/thicker sidewall, and cost a couple hundred dollars more

I went with the 305 55r20s, despite the extra weight and cost, because i spend alot of time on mountain roads made of sharp granite chunks.

All the blanket statements like "duracraps have weak sidewalls", etc, seem to lack alot of pertinant information.

Last edited:

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We just bought a 2018 Hyrdo Blue Ram Sport used a few weeks back and it has like new SRA's on it from the factory. The SRA's seem to be very loose in the rain so I'm dreading winter with them.

I've been doing research on all the tire options for a decent all weather tire and I keep coming back to these Cooper AT3 4S. They have great reviews and seem to align closest to my driving requirements.

The AT3 4S are lighter from a weight perspective than some of the other options, deliver decent fuel mileage that is comparable to the stock 20" SRA's, increased cold weather performance on ice and snow, excellent hydroplaning resistance, fairly quiet ride along with great road manners.

For our Ford Edge's with 20's we run dedicated 3 season tires and Blizzaks for winter but with the RAM I have been leaning towards an all weather as I do not want to store more rim and tire sets.

I tow a 2 place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter and will be using primarily the RAM. It will tow a 5500 lb camper in the summer.

If I do go dedicated winter I will get a set of the factory black sport rims with TPMS and mount up more Blizzaks as they have been simply amazing tires.

I've never spent so much time looking at tires as I have for this truck. I get close to ordering and then change my mind.

Watching this thread with interest.

Had a set of Cooper AT3 4S installed last night. Got the opportunity to try them on the way home on the freeway in heavy wind and rain. So far I like them. Look fantastic on the truck.

IMG_20191128_092113.jpg

IMG_20191128_092118.jpg

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
DuraTrac seem to have pretty good reviews. The Goodyear OEM tires are JUNK!!! They are dangerous on wet pavement IMHO. I wouldn't even use one for a kids swing in the backyard.
Jay

Good post. Love it. Use Michelin for your swing!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had a set of Cooper AT3 4S installed last night. Got the opportunity to try them on the way home on the freeway in heavy wind and rain. So far I like them. Look fantastic on the truck.

View attachment 187485

View attachment 187486
The tires look great on your truck.
I just put 1000 miles on these tires and have been great so far. We just had heavy raining most of the week and the AT3 4S had plenty of traction. I feel more confident compared to the Dunlop AT20s my truck had.
The mileage is also on par with the Dunlops (even though I went 0.5 taller this time). I achieved 23 hwy on my last trip at 70-75 mph average including some inclines on I-15

Sent from GM1915 using Tapatalk

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think perhaps JR may be measuring in Canadian too. 83k in Canadian isn't as far as 83k in American.

I suspect such because the "83000k", likely means 83000 kilometers. If he was using the k to abbreviate for -thousands-, of miles, the k would indicate 83,000,000 miles! ;)
Lol that's exactly what I thought.

Munqee

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put Goodyear Ultraterrains on and I am in love with them, they are barely louder than stock and that's on the highway, did 600+ miles 2 days after throwing them on. Now that snow is here, I have barely put it in 4 wheel drive, the tires just cut through

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the Falken wild peak at3w. Far better in the snow, quiet, and way cheaper

If you want a more aggressive look and have deeper pockets, get the nitto exo grappler

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Good luck with them, Power Wagon guys hate the Duratracs and can’t wait to get them off the trucks. I dumped mine with less than 400 miles on them and never looked back.
Haha. I was literally about to post this same statement. There is a seething hatred for duracraps in alot of guys in the PW community. didn't even give mine a chance to fail me, ditched em the week before I took my first camping trip with my truck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Punisher123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love my duratracs. Not noisy at all and rips up the snow like nothing

Steam Hogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Duratrac have been the best tire I have ever had for running in snow. That being said if you tow, frequently have heavy loads or drive a hd. I would not opt for the light duty SL version. The SLs are only 3 or 4 ply tires. Good on Jeeps where you are looking for flex or a SUV. Maybe on a 1500 used primarily as a commuter.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
My SRA's ran about 37,000. No problems. I replaced them with Mastercraft (Cooper U.S.A.) Courser's. AT2 I think.

ohRNZGd.jpg

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Love my duratracs. Not noisy at all and rips up the snow like nothing

In 4x4 in snow mine are great. I. 2WD they are not the greatest though. So far I’m happy with mine, however I do notice them getting louder with age or when it’s -22f lol

Tiped on ifone using Tapatalk and auto correct. Can’t you tell?