was about to click buy - Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few gerbils and a carrot
Getting ready for Winter - The wife feels the 'wump wump wump' of the tires will drive me crazy. < maybe she knows best. I don't offroad as hobby. But when it snows I want to be as safe as possible (including using my head, safe speeds, situational awareness)

My factory Goodyear Wrangler SR-A only have 10k miles on them, I would hate to give them away ($16 disposal fee) but I would not enjoy storing them - Well unless I am going to flip back in march.

I have searched threads here - no bad reviews, any reason not to pull the trigger - fishing for opinions amongst 'friends'.

----------

Goodyear Wrangler SR-A® (Factory Tires)
P275/60R20
Specs for Product Code 183934470:
Tire Size P275/60R20
Product Code 183934470
Speed Rating S
Load Index 114
Load Range SL
Sidewall Black
Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG)500/A/B
Max Load (lbs)2,601
Max Inflation Pressure (PSI)44
Approved Rim Width (in.)7.5 - 9.5
Measured Rim Width (in.)8.0
Section Width (in.)11.0
Tread Depth (in 32nds)11
Outside Diameter (in.)33.0
Revs Per Mile 634
$725.05 Installed ($150 each)

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (Thinking about these)
Tire Size 275/60R20
Product Code 150678601
Speed Rating S
Load Index 115
Load Range SL
Sidewall Black
Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG)500/B/B
Max Load (lbs)2679
Max Inflation Pressure (PSI)51
Approved Rim Width (in.)7.5-9.5
Measured Rim Width (in.)8.0
Section Width (in.)11.0
Tread Depth (in 32nds)16
Outside Diameter (in.)33.0
Revs Per Mile 633
$1,127.85 Installed ($245 each)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The SRAs with the mileage you have will perform just fine and perfectly safely in snow. I actually ran them last winter because I threw the tires off my new truck onto the old one and kept driving the old truck until I got around to selling it and got around just fine for 1000s of icy miles.If you want ultimate snow / ice performance go to a snow tire like I usually do. The difference is huge.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I have owned 3 Rams over a 6 winter span. First 2 trucks were leases and I stayed with the sra tires. Let me preface this with saying every winter I took the same trip to and from work. I drive up and over a mountain at 530am so if there is snow (maine?) I'm driving in it vs traffic and kept up roads). Did the sra tires work? Sure. I actually do not despise them as much as many many others. They were cheap and I knew their limits. They worked.

I bought my current truck (4" lift on 35x12.5 tires). When I bought it, I negotiated new duratracs. Let me tell you, night and day is an understatement. These tires are awesome in the snow. One morning on my way to work in a snow storm with around 4 inches of snow on the ground one of my wheel bearings went causing the abs sensor to disable the 4wd. I was committed to seeing how good these tires really were. I gave her hell at the bottom of the mountain and didn't let up. I made it up and over pretty easily. I never ever would have made it with any all season or the sra. So much more traction in 2wd with these duratracs. Only complaints I've heard are thinner side walls so punctures happen offroading. But I'm fine with that.

I put falken wildpeaks on the wife's Yukon. Can't wait to drive that in the snow. They were cheaper than the duratracs. Both great tires.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
DuraTrac seem to have pretty good reviews. The Goodyear OEM tires are JUNK!!! They are dangerous on wet pavement IMHO. I wouldn't even use one for a kids swing in the backyard.
Jay

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have Goodyear Duratracs 305 55r20s on my 13 sport. I use them in the Cascade mtns, Mt Baker ski area pretty regularly.

I find the noise level to be very low. Much quieter than my previous Atturo Trailblade tires. Similar to the Goodyear Forturas on my wife's Durango.

In the snow, the Duratracs is probably the best AT tire I've used.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My wife has duratracs on her wrangler. They seem to do pretty well. They do get noisy when they are worn though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine are still pretty new. I guess I can look forward to them getting louder as they wear.

Right now they are as quiet as a passenger car tire.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I wouldn't put duracraps on even a wheelbarrow unless that wheelbarrow had sra on it... then it would be an upgrade

falken wildpeak at3w
bfg ko2
pirelli scorpion at plus
3 of the best winter rated all terrains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I wouldn't put duracraps on even a wheelbarrow unless that wheelbarrow had sra on it... then it would be an upgrade

falken wildpeak at3w
bfg ko2
pirelli scorpion at plus
3 of the best winter rated all terrains
I would also add the new Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S to the mix. Those are great for a half ton (no LT sizes available), have a 620 treadwear rating (65K miles) and have dedicated snow grooves. It's advertised as helping enhance braking on snow by up to 20 ft. They are also fairly priced.
I put some on my truck based on good reviews everywhere and videos showing favorable performance over the BFG AT KO2 (which I had on a previous truck)738854b8dbadaca811f6b35f9e118da5.jpg

Sent from GM1915 using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Had those on my Ranger, barely made it through first winter with them, sold in spring.... This "dedicated grooves" are only on surface, wear through them in no time. I've had 2 different kinds of newer cooper winter tires, hated them both. Cooper made a tire in the 90s/2k called a weathermaster. That was an awesome tire, second only to Toyo g02 and BS Blizzak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Duratracs have an extremely weak carcass. Fine for strictly paved roads but they like to pop on even the nicest gravel roads. I’d avoid them if I were you. Stick to Toyo or BFG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Friends don’t let friends run Duracraps. BFG KO2’s or Falken AT3W will run circles around them in any department and asides from being great in wintry conditions for AT tires they’ll do much better with noise, longevity, durability, sidewall strength.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does the rest of your driving consist of ?

If there is no offroading and lots of highway the duratracs are overkill, get a set of dedicated snow tires on separate wheels and stick to a highway tire for the other 3 seasons.

The SRA's you have are ok in the snow and should serve you well this winter as long as you understand and stay within their limits.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I put falken wildpeaks on the wife's Yukon. Can't wait to drive that in the snow. They were cheaper than the duratracs. Both great tires.

We have a very similar situation... I drive over a mountain pass in NW Oregon, and we're predicted to get snow next week.

I put on Falken Wildpeak AT/3's a couple months back, and I have chains if needed (though even with the crappy SRAs, I have yet to use 'em).

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've had Duratracs on a couple trucks, they're good in snow, and not too loud on the road. As others have said, because of the weak sidewalls I'd stay away from rocky trails. My Rebel came with Toyo A/Ts, they're pretty good in snow as well.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The SRA's are garbage. +1 for the KO2's. Found them in stock tire size with Load Range D. Mine are quite and wearing well.

toadmeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heim 5.7
Love my DuraTracs for Iowa's winter's. I got lots of snow drifts, hills, and crappy maintained roads these tires work super on.

Only drawback is lower mpg than the stock factory tires. Doesn't bother me much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BenWH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran my 2015 1500 with the SRA’s through Snoqualmie Pass multiple times. They are awful in wet conditions, but people are underestimating the 4 wheel drive capabilities of the truck itself. You can drive it 55 mph down the highway if need be in the snow. I’ve never gotten stuck and most of my off-roading was with the stock tires. I even towed another truck out of a swamp that was waist deep with them. They are all around mediocre but they do work. I waited till they wore and now run Goodyear Trailer runner ATs. Lost about 2 mpgs and the ride is noticeably less smooth though. Think about it, you’re worried about tires on a 4x4 truck. Most people tackle the snow in bald tires and a minivan and do just fine.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93