Water Leaks From Overhead Console Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Had a weird weather day in Minneapolis yesterday. Two inches of snow followed by rain for 10 hours. Temperature was around 38 degrees for most of the time it rained. My 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn was parked outside on level ground for about 6 hours. Upon driving the vehicle I noticed water dripping down from the overhead console area. The specific area was the interface between the black area that houses the programmable buttons for Homelink, (ex. garage door opener buttons) and the light colored trim piece that surrounds the black housing. See picture.

Water-Leak-2018-lores.jpg

Water would drip down into the little cubby storage area in front area of the center floor console. I used a napkin to sop up the water and also to dab the drops as they formed in the overhead console. After 20 minutes of this the napkin was well soaked.

After I got home I placed a microfiber towel on the top of the dash and cascaded it down to cover the front of the floor console. When I came out and checked it this morning it was dry. I suppose it rained a couple hours after I placed the towel there. I park in my driveway which is on an incline. No water leaking that I could see.

A couple of things.

I place my glasses in that cubby storage area when I drive and I did not notice any water in there when I set my glasses in there. I only noticed the dripping of water after I started driving.

I do not have a sunroof.

Vehicle has 5,000 miles on it and has never leaked until yesterday.

Any ideas where the leak is coming from? Satellite radio shark fin antenna mounting area?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only thing I can think of is your 3rd brake light, possibly the fin as you stated. 3rd brake light leak is a common problem. Usually the leak goes down to the floor under the rear seat, but if you were on an incline, then it may have just run to the console.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
The only thing I can think of is your 3rd brake light, possibly the fin as you stated. 3rd brake light leak is a common problem. Usually the leak goes down to the floor under the rear seat, but if you were on an incline, then it may have just run to the console.

Leak occurred after vehicle was parked on level ground in the rain for 6 hours and then driven. When parked on an uphill incline overnight, didn't notice any leaking.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leak occurred after vehicle was parked on level ground in the rain for 6 hours and then driven. When parked on an uphill incline overnight, didn't notice any leaking.

That's a new one to me then. With 5k miles I would just take it back to the dealer and make them figure it out.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I will. But I like to have some info before I go in there.

All I have seen on a console leak is someone who had an Uber sign on the top of their truck, was seeping in through the cord. Let us know what happened.

PrdCdn

TEAM RAMROD
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L ECO Diesel
I had the same issue. I do have a sunroof and no leaking from it. I even went to the dealership to have them check it out. They could not find anything, I even took a video of it.
Only happened the one time, I suspect it was the 3rd brake light, as I kept blowing lights until I re-sealed it with a better foam.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I'd say 3rd brake light,I would get the gasket for it though that I see in a thread here about replacing it over the factory one.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
did you ever get it resolved this just happened to me on 2017 ram, took through carwash then started leaking exact same spot

No, I haven't taken it in. It's only leaked twice and both times was during Noah's ark type of rainfalls. Also, I doubt the dealership will be able to recreate the problem and I'll have wasted my time bringing it in.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Third brake light, no doubt. Noticed a slight leak in the back upper corner of the cab, but then one day it started coming from the front of the headliner and down the windshield. Not a lot of water, but just a bit. Got some good weatherstripping, replaced the seal around the 3rd brake light, and now it's all high and dry. It has been raining nearly daily for weeks here in Louisiana, and no more leak.

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The classic 3rd brake Light. My suggestion is to get that sealent they use to seal in windshields. Stuff works great... No more leaks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk