Water pump/ radiator leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure how but I just returned from a 2000 mile round trip from Florida and both my water pump and radiator have started leaking. Im going to be replacing both this week when the parts arrive. I think I’m going to just go ahead and do the thermostat and housing while I’m at it. I actually noticed the leak before my return trip but had no choice but to chance it and head home. Neither one were bad leaks or I wouldn’t have tried to come home.
One thing I did notice is that my oil temp would get up to around 230-233 cruising at 70-75 mph and the coolant temp would stay right around 217-220 and wouldn’t fluctuate like it would have normally. Sometimes coolant would drop down around 205 and stay there for quite some time but then all of a sudden rise up around 217 or so and stay at that temp for a bit. On the trip down it would fluctuate like it usually did. Never did overheat thank goodness but definitely wasn’t right. The oil temp staying up like it did seems kind of odd to me but I know it was still ok at that temp. Does that seem normal or maybe a problem elsewhere Im not thinking about? I guess the long trip just exposed a problem that was probably already there.
Normally oil temp is 15-20 degrees higher then coolant

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Normally oil temp is 15-20 degrees higher then coolant
I agree but I know it would usually run a constant 218-222 oil temp when the water pump wasnt leaking. Cruising at 70-75 and rpm's around 2000 it shouldnt stay at 230-233 and the coolant at 221-222 like it was. I can see if I were under heavy load or climbing a long hill but on flat terrain thats higher than normal. This is my second ram with the 6.4 and the first one never got up to those temps and if it did it would come right back down after the load was off of it. Even towing heavy I dont recall it running that warm unless climbing a hill. Im sure the oil is just running up like that because the coolant is up also so Im not really concerned. My oil will climb up to 224-226 on a short 15 min drive. It will all be taken care of this weekend hopefully.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pulling the intake was needed to be able to disconnect the egr tube from the water pump. Even with the water pump out the tube was a bear to get out. The oring would not allow the tube to slide out. Had to end up putting a little heat to it just to get it out and was a little bent in the process from trying to pull it out. Im sure not all of them would fight like this one did you but this one didnt want to leave its home. Ended up just replacing the metal tube and the rubber hose since you cannot buy the metal tube without the rubber hose attached to it. Had to get oem from ram dealership as you cannot get them from local parts store. Definitely a pain and not as easy as the pump on the 5.7.