Weak acceleration, hit or miss power spurts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ad80721

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2004 Ram 1500 2WD Hemi, I was attempting to accelerate on the freeway ramp and get it up to speed and it seemed to struggle. It would hover around 50 mph and wouldn't smoothly transition to my 65 mph target speed. Out of the blue it burst up to 65 mph, runs steady and normal, then just as quick drops down to 50 ish. Spurts up again and is good til I get to my exit ramp. When I take off after stopping at the ramp, it struggles to get up to speed again. Eventually I get it up to the 50 mph speed limit, it runs sluggishly, than on the outskirts of town it spurts up to power again. Anyone got a guess?

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
2004 Ram 1500 2WD Hemi, I was attempting to accelerate on the freeway ramp and get it up to speed and it seemed to struggle. It would hover around 50 mph and wouldn't smoothly transition to my 65 mph target speed. Out of the blue it burst up to 65 mph, runs steady and normal, then just as quick drops down to 50 ish. Spurts up again and is good til I get to my exit ramp. When I take off after stopping at the ramp, it struggles to get up to speed again. Eventually I get it up to the 50 mph speed limit, it runs sluggishly, than on the outskirts of town it spurts up to power again. Anyone got a guess?
Misfires

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
How many miles since last tune up?
Is it sputtering n bucking? Or is it running smoothly just no power?
Any codes?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So if you aren't getting any codes, it sounds like either a fuel supply problem (failing pump, clogged line or clogged filter) or possibly a very dirty throttle body.

I'd start with the easy stuff and look at the inside of the throttle body. It may be sticking or hanging up due to carbon build up.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Bad gas with water in it.Also take in mind gasoline has alcohol in it does draw water and old gas will make it run like crap too.Before pulling everything loose Pour a whole bottle of seafoam of Berryman B-12 in the tank and see if that helps.

Last edited: