Weight Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Ok lets talk the talk here. In looking at my specs for my truck it says the following:

BASE WT (F).....3,747 LBS
BASE WT (R).....3,022 LBS
BASE WEIGHT...6,770 LBS
PAYLOAD..........6,530 LBS
GVWR.............13,300 LBS
GCWR (F)..........5,500 LBS
GCWR (R)..........9,750 LBS
MAX TRL WT.....12,560 LBS
GCWR..............19,500 LBS
DRIVER................150 LBS
OPTIONS................20 LBS

According to the notes the driver and options weight 170 lbs is already accounted for in the ratings. If I am doing the math right this means I can carry close to 3 1/4 tons in the bed of my truck? I like all these numbers except the abysmal tow rating.

In days gone by in my old K2500 I came off the scale at the gravel pit with 6500 lbs in the bed, and yes I was overloaded though the truck was not squatting and handled it well.

Has anyone put this much weight in their 4th gen? I have carried a little over a ton and it just makes it ride better but not sure how she would handle 6K plus.

Last edited:

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
If I am doing the math right this means I can carry close to 3 1/4 tons in the bed of my truck? I like all these numbers except the abysmal tow rating.

Look at the couple door stickers on the inside of your front drivers side door frame. One will list the actual payload you can put in your truck. Mine is yellow/white in color. It doesn't surprise me with your dually reg. cab config that you can haul that much. AWESOME! Great for the large overhead in-bed campers. The other will show your front and rear axle ratings. Tow rating is all about power/torque rating of the powertrain. Carrying a load is much easier and will always be less than what can be towed.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That is a low tow rating. What gear ratio do you have, a 3.73?

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There was a paper that came with my truck in the glove box that specifically stated not to put a slide in camper in my truck. I think that is crazy, not sure if its true but one member suggested it was because I have the snow plow prep package. I still cant believe that a one ton dually and the manufacture say it cannot be used for a slide in camper.

Yes 373 plus 4 X 4, I bought off the lot a reg cab dually is hard enough to find and much tougher to find them with 410.

Last edited:

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
There was a paper that came with my truck in the glove box that specifically stated not to put a slide in camper in my truck. I think that is crazy, not sure if its true but one member suggested it was because I have the snow plow prep package. I still cant believe that a one ton dually and the manufacture say it cannot be used for a slide in camper.

Yes 373 plus 4 X 4, I bought off the lot a reg cab dually is hard enough to find and much tougher to find them with 410.

WHAT..!? A 3500 dually with leaf springs cannot haul a cab over camper....?? :confused: I don't believe it. Now, the coil spring equipped trucks I can see the concern, but a standard leaf spring setup....doesn't make sense. In fact I've read reviews of 3500 6.4 duallies with cab over camper reviews. That doesn't make any sense.... That'd be worth an email to RAM. So what does your door sticker say on the payload?

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
My payload on the sticker is 6,530 lbs and since it is only a two and a 1/2 seater most of that would be in the bed.

Its true no slide in in my truck.
TCM Debuts 2014 Dodge Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually, 4x4 Truck

Very Important: No Snow Plow Prep

There is one option that you need to be careful not to order; Snow Plow Prep.

If you own a Ram truck, chances are there’s a paper in your glove box that shows a truck and camper, and how to find the proper center of gravity. This paper is titled, “Consumer Information Truck-Camper Loading” also may feature a warning that reads, in all caps, “THIS VEHICLE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH A SLIDE-IN CAMPER”.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Well I learn something new all the time.... So what I understand then is RAM is worried people are going to be cruising around with slide-in camper in the back and a plow bobbing up and down up front. Perhaps using their slide-in as weight while plowing...? Lawyers..... So much for common sense. How about using a statement more like this... "Snowplowing with a slide-in camper in place is not recommended."

Another thing I found interesting in that article.... 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 dually rated for 3000 lbs. The payload sticker on my 2014 2500 long bed SRW with 6.4 is 2950# .

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Well slap in some 4.10s and you'll get your 15k tow rating. Better yet, slap in some 4.56's.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, a DRW with over 3 tons of payload is not suitable for a truck camper? If I understand what I read there correctly- basically it's saying don't do both at the same time. I can't think of any reason other than that.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
By engineering specs yes but can you legally have the tow rating changed?
I am still bummed out I cant plow with a slide in camper installed.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
your tow/haul rating is also limited by the ****** stock tires it comes with.swap to an e rated tire.go on any rv forum,they'll tell you the same thing.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
All 2500/3500's come with E rated tires

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
By engineering specs yes but can you legally have the tow rating changed?
I am still bummed out I cant plow with a slide in camper installed.

There is no legality to a manufacturers tow rating. Well, here in Texas anyways.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe not... But let's say your hauling a rig and at a quick stop you hit me and my family and destroy our car... If you were under your posted weight limit we might go after the manufacturer...Over your limit and it's all on you.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The legality of a weight rating on a private vehicle gets beat to death on RV forums. There are lots of "could be" and "maybes" but no ever seems to be able to produce an actual story of someone getting in trouble or being held liable for an accident due to be overloaded. Again, this is just private party. Commercial? much more likely to get into trouble.

Accidents are what insurance is for and no one cares enough to take the time to really sift through the debris. With a fatality maybe someone takes a bit more time but, sadly, even then it's not much.

In the end I think you'd have to be waaaaay overloaded for anyone to even think about it (refer to the "worst loads you've seen" thread:))

Different states have different rules but here in Oregon there is basically no enforcement of any RV weight rules.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
True... But why take that chance? Certainly there may be exceptions to this, but it seems easy enough to do math and make sure you're within limits. Again, certainly there are times when one might not have all of the info on their truck or rig. But if you know you're going to travel frequently right at your limit, why would you not consider downsizing your load or upsizing your truck? I for one like to keep a couple thousand pounds of extra weight in the bank just to be sure.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
True... But why take that chance? Certainly there may be exceptions to this, but it seems easy enough to do math and make sure you're within limits. Again, certainly there are times when one might not have all of the info on their truck or rig. But if you know you're going to travel frequently right at your limit, why would you not consider downsizing your load or upsizing your truck? I for one like to keep a couple thousand pounds of extra weight in the bank just to be sure.

In the context it is used he really is not going over Ram's rating. Ram states their 6.4L with 3.73 gears at 12,000 lbs and the very same truck with 4.10 is 15,000 lbs. They say that a 6.4L mated with a 4.10 can tow that much so why all the legal mumbo jumbo?

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I love that worst loads thread. Here in Malloyville any truck with a GVW over 12,500 has to be registered as straight commercial. I believe from like 8,500 and down you can actually put passenger plates on a truck, with 8,500 up to 12,500 being combination plates.

My truck had to be registered commercial @ over $200.00 per year. What was a pain and most would not consider stopping was that I got flagged into a weigh station a couple weeks back. The dam things are almost never open this day it was and my truck was empty, but does have a tonneau. The cop told me because I had comm plate I had to pull in there, he did reg check and safety check saw my truck was empty so no scale check. I still can,t believe I had to go in there with a freakin pick up.

Last edited: