Weird noise and CD player changer still working after ignition is off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had to remove my factory radio for an install and re-install everything. Well, I didn't cut any wires from the stock harness or drop anything or do anything to cause it to break, but when I plugged everything back in, the CD player no longer works and after the ignition is off, the truck makes a short, weird noise that sounds like it comes from the engine bay that it didn't used to make, does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Also, the CD changer keeps trying to change CDs it sounds like for about 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off or anytime the interior lights are activated. It didn't do this before the removal, does anyone have any idea what this may be?

The most weird part of this is that I didn't cut anything, I just disconnected the harnesses and plugged them back in and then boom, doesn't work right.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
what did you install that you had to remove the radio?

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I thought I had to remove the radio and tap into the speaker leads behind the radio to wire up my LOC to hook up the sub amp. BUT come to find out the hard way, you have to wire in the LOC AFTER the Infinity amp for it to pick up a signal. The ONLY changes to wires I made at the headunit/harness was i stripped some cover off the LR+ and - wire, but as stated ended up not even using the wires for the LOC. In addition, to get my remote turn on lead hooked up, I cut the cigarette lighter ignition wire completely and wired my turn on lead to it. This was because I don't smoke and it doesn't matter to me if the cigarette lighter works or not, could that have caused it?? All other wires at the bezel area were untouched.

For the life of me I can't figure this out, the CD changer keeps trying to change CDs when the lights turn on (door opens, unlock car, etc.) or even when I just shut the door and the car is locked. The CD changer operates on its own for about 20 seconds and then stops. But the weirdest thing is when I hit "Mode" to change from XM to CD mode, it won't even change from XM, so basically the CD player at the moment is not even an option for me to play. I wonder if my player is just fried, I sure hope not.....

bigpercentcountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex
Anytime my aftermarket harness loses power, it has to be re "programed". I'm not sure if maybe the factory stereo has the same type component's that require a reset or not. Might be worth doing some research on before you get too worried. The aftermarket harness is a pain in the butt because every time I unhook my battery for anything I have to pull my dash apart and unhook the harness to get it to reset.

ramfanatic

Banned
Reaction score
try to unhook the negative battery wire for 30 minutes this will erase everything back to factory setting this should work also check to make sure you did not pinch any wires when you put the radio back in