Welding on body of 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karl Kunkle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2008, 1500 4 door cab , 4.7 L , 4wd, rusting most areas

What needs to be done to protect the electronics when welding in rockers, wheel arches, and door bottoms, and floors.

Also what’s a recommendation for primers and metal prep for painting to fight the rust . Especially for touch up areas on hood and leading edges of bed?

Thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2008, 1500 4 door cab , 4.7 L , 4wd, rusting most areas

What needs to be done to protect the electronics when welding in rockers, wheel arches, and door bottoms, and floors.

Also what’s a recommendation for primers and metal prep for painting to fight the rust . Especially for touch up areas on hood and leading edges of bed?

Thanks.
Disconnect the battery,and hook your ground clamp as close as possible to your weld.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I missed this post somehow. I have a lot of the same questions. I'm looking for recommendations for a mig welder. I'm looking at this one from Eastwood.

Anyone have any opinions? Never welded, will probably be one of those one project purchases, and needs to be 110/120.

Also, anyone ever use a self darkening helmet? How well do they actually work?

Further, when you are doing inner and outer rockers and cab corners, is there an order you need to follow for the easiest/best results? Do you cut everything out first and start replacing? Or do you cut out one section and tack in the replacement before cutting out the next section for alignment?

Is it corner, outer rocker inner rocker? Or corner, inner rocker outer? I want to be able to treat the insides of the panels/welds so they never rust again.

I've seen a technique where you bend the panels where they meet to make valley for the weld. Supposed to help with shrinkage and grinding and gives a place for filler. Anyone done this?

Any replacement panels better than others?

When you clamp your ground, are you supposed clamp to one side or the other (body vs repair panel) or both if possible?

Anyone ever use magnets as clamps?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Auto darkening hoods are fabulous once you get the darkness set right and the speed of darkening if you buy the more expensive hoods that have such.
I would clamp the ground onto the body. If you clamp onto the repair panel you will be working against the weight of the ground clamp and lead going to the clamp.
I’ve never used the magnetic ground clamp.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NEVER Practice on the vehicle that you plan to fix up

use scrap about the same thickness

useful magnet

welding pliers

Last edited:

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I just competed the welding process on both inner and outer rockers, cab corners. The first step I did was cut Al the rust out with a grinder. I then had to fabricate the inner- inner rockers. I first welded those in with my 130 mig welder. I used the .030 wire. First tack both ends and middle in when doing the rockers. I did the cab corners last. I still have to grind down the welds and throw on bondo filler and paint. I used Tremclad rust paint after sanding as much rust as I could get too. You’ll need as much clamps or vice grips as possible. Unhook the battery and make sure all
Your wiring are unhook and moved away from the spots being welded. I used a scrap piece of metal
And shielded my work area. It’s best to remove whatever parts you can to sand the rust off and weld/paint. I still have a few more areas to touch up on the frame/body. For the most part the truck is done. Have to add some filler/paint and get front windshield installed before the safety is completed.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NEVER Practice on the vehicle that you plan to fix up

use scrap about the same thickness

useful magnet

welding pliers
I second what is stated, practice on scrap metal/steel roughly the same gauge you are welding, sheet metal will burn through if you voltage is to high. I keep my voltage on low and the wire speed roughly half for sheet metal. My welder has 2 settings (high/low voltage) and wire speed, plus direct outlet plug in. Works good.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Watching this guy weld. At first I couldn't figure out what he was doing and then I was like "Genius!" The one thing I don't want is a bunch of filler when I'm done and this looks like the way to go.