Well that’s disappointing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My_Looong_Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
As I posted on another message in this thread, my Dad has a 17 RAM 5.7 HEMI (quad cab, 4x4) and while not sure what he gets if he sits down and calculates real world data (gas slips and actual mileage), the truck system on his shows him getting 18+ mileage, a lot, with no e-torque, no messing with the MDS (that I am aware of) or any other "funny business" (pretty sure he couldn't be bothered). So claiming that the mileage is better or not, unless you have 1 person driving 2 almost identical trucks, with everything else being exactly (or as close as you can get) the same, same age, same mileage, usage, weight of the vehicle, etc. then the claims of "better mileage with the e-torque" are just that, claims.

As far as your mostly highway miles, modern 100% fuel powered vehicles get better mileage on the highway already. That is why the EPA numbers are higher for that than city driving. Would it decrease use of the fuel available in the tank? Possibly, if the engine is shutting off, as was posted elsewhere, it doesn't use fuel then.

But if you are getting roughly the same MPG mileage as a vehicle without it, which seems possible as well, then I would point out that you are effectively getting worse real world mileage because it is a less effective use of the fuel you ARE using to go the same distance. Again, without having 1 person driving the otherwise same vehicles in the same conditions, then all this is just theories.

Factory claims are, like the EPA estimates, found using controlled conditions that are repeatable there because they are controlled. Real life, not so controlled.
Agreed, but the real savings in fuel are only when stopped and the engine isn’t running and during the first second or two of acceleration. E-torque has 130 ft-lbs (?) of torque as soon as you step on the accelerator all from the mild hybrid and it launches the truck from standstill. I saw a graphic the other day on it that the 5.7 no e-torque doesn’t make that until 800-900 rpm. This is essentially an electric launch assist for a big vehicle.

I believe that’s where your fuel savings are. Ram tells you that after that point the fuel savings are minuscule and due to the assistance it gives the transmission while shifting. And those savings aren’t actually a feature. The feature is it helps the transmission during shifts to reduce wear & tear and to produce a smoother shift. The smoother shift is obvious.

My_Looong_Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Its your 22 years in the industry that handicaps your belief in newer technology being better I'll bet. Its always the older gen that can't accept change.
I see far more positive e-torque comments than negative ones and really the only crutch the negative ones have its a system to go wrong. well so far ABS brakes are relatively new being what a decade maybe? yet nobody would give them up. Seat belts were once disdained yet I doubt you could make a case for not wearing one today. E torque may remove a small amount from your truck specifically but multiply that by 1 million trucks and you are talking a huge amount of carbon, nos etc.
E torque would save gas because your truck is moving but not consuming, Same as start/stop, If your at a light and your truck isn't running are you burning gas?
I can't wait for the dinosaurs to come back to prove me wrong but I am pretty sure that there will come a day in the very near future when you won't have a choice. That will be a great day for the planet and for trucks
I look forward to the day I can leave my windows open at a stoplight when stinky old diesel is running near me. Start/stop should be on every vehicle.

My_Looong_Horn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
As a point of interest- not contention- I have a 2014 5.7 hemi, mildly built, no MDS, no etorque, and it gets 19-20 mpg (if I keep my foot out of it).
E-torque, MDS, and start/stop would get you even better. All of this technology is to reduce idle time and assist in the first second or two of acceleration off the line where the most fuel is used.

The rest of the time enjoy the smooth shifts you get.

IvoryHemi

Reaction score
That 100 lbs is minus what a traditional battery weighs and an alternator so its less than 100 lbs. Might only be 50

eTorque’s net weight gain is ~85 lbs according to Ram.

They use an aluminum spare wheel and smaller 23-gallon gas tank to try and offset the 100+ lbs weight gain

OP
OP
KeithP

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT

They use an aluminum spare wheel and smaller 23-gallon gas tank to try and offset the 100+ lbs weight gain
My non-eTorque 5.7 has 20” road wheels and an 18” aluminum spare with a donut tire so, saving weight with an aluminum spare b/c it’s an eTorque? Nope!

23 gallon tank? Maybe, but the 33 gallon is an option so no weight saving there unless you opt for it. I wouldn’t.

A lot of replies in this thread and some very good info on the actual workings of the eTorque system. I still do not see an advantage. I only see the increased risk of an expensive failure with no real evidence of a positive gain for having the eTorque system.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi

WRONG I ordered a 33 gal.fuel tank with my 2022..

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Down the road a few years, history will show how the hybrid idea,
was really not a good idea. Too complicated and costly for little to
no gains at all.
I guess I don't have the same crystal Ball to predict the future.

Awokenotwoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My e-torque worked really well until it had a TSB recall for a software update.
After the update it is very sensitive to ambient temperature which was non-existent on the facory configuration. It always worked regardless of temperature, but would stop working at times in heavy traffic when the A/C or heat were on. Now, the sytem will only work in the sweet spot range of 15C-20C. Every other temps and I get a message in the drivers info center that the “e-torque is unavailable due to heating/cooling.” So any claims of fuel savings are now thrown out because this temp range means that e-torque is good for about 10 weeks a year in this part of Canada.
I will be filing a complaint with Transport Canada to make them aware that Stellantis has conned them with repect to e-torque fuel savings, and that customers are due compensation.
The remedy I seek is a refund on the purchase of the e-torque, and now bogus projected fuel savings for 160,000 km.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Down the road a few years, history will show how the hybrid idea,
was really not a good idea. Too complicated and costly for little to
no gains at all.
Hybrids have been around for years with gains for having them. Just sounds like some guys don't like change and that's fine. Just admit that.

If I were buying a new truck, I'd get the eTorque and not worry about it.
It's got an 8 year warranty though I think it should be 10.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 26 gallon tank is standard on 1500 gas models. 33 gallon tank is
optional.
It's not that cut and dry. It actually depends on model and configuration. Most crew cab etorque models come with a 23 gal tank, unless it's a Limited. Not sure about the Longhorn. Quad cabs seem to come standard with the 26 gallon tank. There have been exceptions to this though. Like pretty much all manufacturers, just when you think you know which models come with which standard equipment, along comes someone saying theirs wasn't built that way.

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
That's the problem with asking questions like this in a forum. You get it all, from actual facts to made-up fairy tales. The better way to get answers is to do your own research. Earlier in this thread, someone posted a link to a video with an actual Ram representative explaining the system. I would suggest you start your research with this video if you want to know more about this system...
That's the problem with asking questions like this in a forum. You get it all, from actual facts to made-up fairy tales. The better way to get answers is to do your own research. Earlier in this thread, someone posted a link to a video with an actual Ram representative explaining the system. I would suggest you start your research with this video if you want to know more about this system...
That’s a great video I saw it probably about a year ago, I know exactly how the system is supposed to work and what it does. I don’t know why people assume I haven’t done research on this. That video does not answer the question I’m asking, simply, if the electric motor is not working how would you know it? starting up the Engine from a stop he says it’s indistinguishable, when mine does I get a little bit of a jump, a jerk sometimes. Not enough to make me want to turn it off it doesn’t really bother me.
How about low fuel mileage? Dealership simply assumes low mileage is because of how you drive your truck, they’re not interested in checking anything else. At least my dealership here in Northern California isn’t.
There could be a bug in the software where it never turns on the electric motor and there’s nothing to tell us that’s happening. or at least in all my research and reading and asking questions, I haven’t heard one.
My V6 mileage should be between 19 and 24, I’ve never gotten more than 18, could a defective system be causing that low mileage. I don’t know it could just be quality control on their engines and some get good gas mileage and other ones don’t just luck of the draw. I’d say I drive it like my grandma but I actually pay even closer attention than she does to make sure I’m coasting to red lights and never stepping on it it’s not how I’m driving. When I’m not paying attention and don’t give a hoot, I get between 14 and 16 miles to the gallon.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
It's not that cut and dry. It actually depends on model and configuration. Most crew cab etorque models come with a 23 gal tank, unless it's a Limited. Not sure about the Longhorn. Quad cabs seem to come standard with the 26 gallon tank. There have been exceptions to this though. Like pretty much all manufacturers, just when you think you know which models come with which standard equipment, along comes someone saying theirs wasn't built that way.
I was not making that up, I just got it from the RAM brochure. I even
question if there is a 23 gallon tank.......
Prove it......it does not exist....

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have it on my '19 5.7 laramie. it shows up as an option on the window sticker. I would not even buy a ram if it only came with 23 gal. tank as the main reason I bought mine is for travel and for towing our travel trailer. when traveling, it's nice to see 640 or more miles of range after a fill up.