+8 gear selection to defeat MDS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I stared using the +8 gear selection to defeat MDS for around town a couple of weeks ago. But due to the bad weather and now that I’m retired, I don’t have to get out on the icy and snow packed roads with all the crazies. So haven’t been out much and haven’t used it but a few times.

However, today I realized when I punch up +8 on my 2023 Limited to defeat MDS, it’s also deactivating the stop/start e-torque function. I didn’t remember reading it shut both off. Is that what everyone using this feature is experiencing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
However, today I realized when I punch up +8 on my 2023 Limited to defeat MDS, it’s also deactivating the stop/start e-torque function. I didn’t remember reading it shut both off. Is that what everyone using this feature is experiencing?
It probably has nothing to do with the transmission ERS.
Demands from the truck HVAC system, the battery charge level and engine/emissions temperatures will keep the engine running.

Dieldrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 ETorque
I habitually use -8 to disable MDS, it does not effect the auto start stop in my 2021.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could be, I hadn’t driven the truck for several days, maybe a week. Odd thing is as I set out and came to my first light the engine shut down normally and restarted. it was after this that I remembered to punch through the gears to +8. After that the engine no longer stopped at any further lights to the post ofc. Leaving the post office I put it in +8 and at the two lights I hit on the way home, the engine did not stop at either or in front of my garage as the door was going up.

I didn’t remember anyone mentioning this so thought I would ask. I won’t be driving it much over the next 2 weeks but after that I’ll monitor it and see what it does.

OP
OP
DanAR

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK - back from vacation and took the RAM out for some errands today. I can state 100% that on my 23 Limited, when I click it into +8, it not only defeats MDS but also the stop/start e-torque function. It will not shut down at a light no matter how long I sit there with my foot on the brake.

Maybe something different for later 23s or just a quirk for my truck.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK - back from vacation and took the RAM out for some errands today. I can state 100% that on my 23 Limited, when I click it into +8, it not only defeats MDS but also the stop/start e-torque function. It will not shut down at a light no matter how long I sit there with my foot on the brake.

Maybe something different for later 23s or just a quirk for my truck.
Good info - I certainly wouldn't want that start/stop bullsh-- and would defeat the MDS every chance I got. I do it now just because I don't want it dropping into 4-cyl mode. If I wanted a 4-cyl truck, I'd have bought a Datsun.